The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone running data acquisition?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curious how many are running a data acquisition system for HPDE. System like AIM Solo or maybe an app for your phone. Please share your thoughts.

Didn't find anything thru search. Sorry in advance if this has been discussed before.

Many of us use Harrys Lap timer and I use it on my iP7.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@captdistraction may be able to fill you in more on the Race Capture systems.

I and a few others on here run an AIM MXL or MXL2 dash setup. I also have the latest AIM SmartyCam connected to it and it makes data collection and video overlay painless and easy. The only downside is cost. You can link an AIM Solo to the SmartyCam as well.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
I'll be running Harry's Laptimer with a GoPro Session in the Shelby but I run an AIM MXL2 Strada with SmartyCam HD in my european track car as it gets me all the datalogging I needed after the engine swap :)

I have Harry's. What add-ons?

Also using HLT on an iPhone 6. I connect a Dual XGPS160 and GoPoint OBDII via bluetooth. I use a GoPro Hero 3+, but haven't figured an easy way to get them to sync, so i overlay video manually with iMovie.

Haven't tried TrackAddict yet. Headed out to Firebird East In Phoenix this weekend, so I may give it a try and see how it compares.

I use iP6 with Track Addict Pro with a GoPoint BT1 bluetooth dongle and a Duel XGPS150 . I used to use Harry's but prefer the simplicity fo Track Addict.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I used Torque, Harry's and now Track addict, found it the easiest to use. On some tracks it does not work and I end up using RaceChrono Pro.... Have to admit that the accuracy has gotten very good lately. never more then .05 seconds off the official time. Actually found it better then the my buddies AIM devices.

Thats on a Galaxy S5.... on a S4 they were all lousy.

salt_2.jpg

My long ass review of the AiM Solo DL (note this is from 2012, so there has certainly been new products and other advancement within the market):

Originally posted here: https://www.jimmypribble.com/blog/2012/12/review-aim-solo-dl/

The Solo DL is one of the latest Data Acquisition (DAQ) systems from AiM. What is a DAQ? Simply put, DAQ systems record lap times and vehicle data for analysis that can be used to improve driver performance. Calling this a lap timer would be missing the plot and is likely to get you scratched off of AiM’s Christmas card list.

The market offers many outstanding entry-to-mid-level DAQ products from companies such as AiM, Race Technology, RLC, and Traqmate. After an exhaustive amount of research, I selected the AiM Solo DL to be used for my personal development and for the development of the drivers on my endurance racing team.

The AiM Solo comes in two flavors. The regular AiM Solo ($399) uses 10 Hz GPS and internal accelerometers to return accurate vehicle speed and location data on track maps already stored in memory. If a track map is not already in memory, it can easily be added from track manager software, or a custom track map can be created, even if the “track” is a circuit around your neighborhood. The Solo features predictive lap timing and has a screen that can be configured to show only the information the driver wants. The AiM Solo DL ($699) adds the ability to record ECU information from the OBD-II port.

box.jpg

I backed-into my choice of the Solo DL by first choosing AiM and specifically, their Race Studio 2 software. AiM is a leader in this market and their products are widely used by amateurs and professionals alike. A significant selling point was that Ford Racing uses AiM systems on its Boss 302R and 302S race cars. It is one of those MLX (digital dash) systems that I really wanted.

The Boss 302 does not come with oil pressure or temperature gauges and I do not like the Laguna Seca gauge pod that sits on top of the dash. Since I don’t need those gauges on the street, I liked the idea of having an MXL dash to use for the track, but which I could remove for daily driving. Unfortunately, the MXL is out of my price range at the moment. So, I chose the new Solo DL, which has all of the data acquisition features of the MXL, but which does not accept analog inputs (the oil pressure and temps that I wanted). In truth, those extra gauges don’t have anything to do with the primary function of the DAQ. It is simply a way for me to get those things displayed in an acceptable way. I can’t help but point-out that the Corvette Z06 ECU logs oil pressure and temp. If that were the case with the Mustang, I wouldn’t need an expensive MXL dash, I could just display those on the Solo. [shaking fist] “Ford!”

The Solo DL does everything I need to use it as a tool for driver feedback. If I ever upgrade to an MXL dash system, I will not have to relearn new software and I will still be able to review and compare older data with new.

I called Jeff at Optimum Motorsports and he spent a lot of time on the phone with me answering my questions about the Solo DL. He also had geeky information about the Boss 302R ECU that I found interesting. Jeff knows his stuff. I was sold, so he sent one out right away.

First Track Test

I had a chance to test the Solo DL just a couple of days later at the 2012 Texas Audi Group State Meet track event at Harris Hill Road. I didn’t have time to mount the Solo (see below) for the track event, so I just plugged it into the OBD-II port, turned it on, and stuck it into the Mustang’s cup holder. I wouldn’t be able to see my lap times, or see the predictive lap timing function in action, but I was more interested in just collecting data for armchair analysis after the event.

Even with my hillbilly installation, the Solo DL worked beautifully – knowing when the car was on track and then quietly gathering a metric ass-ton of data that would eventually be used to condemn my driving. Since it was being powered through the OBD-II port, I had no battery concerns and just left it on all day. I could have checked my lap times at the track, but I was instructing and otherwise enjoying myself, so I couldn’t be bothered. I love that the Solo can be such a zero-overhead device. With very minimal setup, it can be turned-on and chucked into the glove box. At the end of the day, it will still return Apollo 11 levels of telemetry.

salt_2-600x398.jpg

At the Bonneville Salt Flats

Since that initial track event, the Solo has been with me to several track day events, a 24-hour road race, and on the Bonneville Salt Flats. In every situation, the Solo DL performed beautifully.

Data Analysis

When I got home, I downloaded the data into AiM’s Race Studio 2 Analysis software.

As someone who makes their living as a QA Engineer in the software industry, I feel qualified to say that AiM’s Race Studio software could use an interface update. There is no doubt that this is flexible and powerful software, but it’s ugly and a little crashy.

Also, there is a very steep curve to learning the analysis software and I haven’t even begun to scratch the surface. It seems clear to me that I will need some training or at least some good tutorials to get the most out of this software. Still, while just fumbling around I managed to find interesting information that I can put to good use. I can see that I’m faster without traction control on. That’s not surprising, but I can point to the data that proves it. I could also see that I wasn’t braking hard enough. That also wasn’t surprising to me – I was on stock brake pads and I was being gingerly on purpose. Finally, I could see that on my fastest lap of the day, I was actually down a whopping 5 mph on the fastest part of the track, compared to another lap (which I must have botched at some point).

Mounting the Solo

Note: This applies only to an S197 Ford Mustang. I can’t verify any other application or platform.

The Solo comes with a metal mounting plate which can be screwed into the dash, attached to a suction-cup mount, or otherwise mounted to the car and then the Solo attaches to the plate with magnets built into the back of the unit. Securing a mounting plate in a race car is no problem, but for my daily driver and track-day car (Boss 302 Mustang), I wanted a temporary mounting solution. A windshield suction-cup mount is an obvious first choice, but I don’t like those because they block my view and I’m not a fan of the lick-stick attachment process. Also, I have had a suction-cup mount fail during hot laps, which left my camera swinging from its power cord, getting smashed to bits against the bare interior of a race car. So, I wanted something temporary, that attached more securely than a suction-cup, and was easily visible/accessible without blocking my view through the windshield.

After a bit of daydreaming and research, I gambled $20 on an iGRIP powerPort Mount (1599)
ir
. The new Mustangs have a power outlet mounted at the very top of the center console and the iGRIP is designed to plug into the power port and hold a cellphone or MP3 player at the end of a flexible arm.

Post_1-600x398.jpg

The iGRIP Mount

Post_2-600x398.jpg

I cut-off the mounting tabs on the iGRIP, which left a flat mounting surface. The Solo mounting plate is on the left.

Post_3-600x398.jpg

I stuck industrial strength Velcro on both mounting surfaces.

Post_4-600x398.jpg

The finished setup.

The iGRIP Mount has worked perfectly, even in very rough conditions. The Solo is very easy to read and does not appear to move or vibrate while driving. Still, I will probably reinforce the base to help with stability. I don’t want to torque the power port too much.

Conclusion

The Solo DL is an excellent device at a class-leading price point. The unit itself is sturdy and well-built with a healthy feature list, all backed by an industry leader. In my mind, this is the current champion in the crowded mid-level DAQ market and the AiM Solo DL comes with my highest recommendation.

J I M M Y

Appendix A – Data logged from Boss 302 ECU:

RPM
Speed
Pedal position sensor
Front left wheel speed
Front right wheel speed
Rear Left wheel speed
Rear right wheel speed
Traction control
Traction control alarm
Fuel level
Instantaneous fuel consumption (1)
Instantaneous fuel consumption (2)
Average fuel level
Fuel flow
Clutch switch
Traction Control Brake Event in progress
Engine Control Engine Event in progress
Brake switch
ABS Alarm
Axle ratio
Malfunction Indicator Light
Fail safe cooling mode
Gear
Tyre size
Stability Control Telltale NO/YES
Stability Control Telltale Text Message (code)
Electronic Stability Control event in progress
Torque
Brake Warning Telltale ON/OFF
Vehicle Yaw Rate
Vehicle lateral acceleration
Steering wheel angle
Tyre revolutions for mile

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
I started with Harry's and then switched to Track Addict. Then I bought the Aim Solo DL and now I have the Aim MXL2 which I haven't used yet. They all worked for what I needed at the time, but now that I'm doing TT I want the data and displays that the MXL2 can provide

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I run RaceCapture/Pro. Its come a long way since @Tucson 302 tried one, but ultimately it does require some DIY enthusiasm to get the most out of the system.

We're working on building guides and further compatibility with S197 mustangs (getting the Ford OEM extended data from the canbus like brake pressure, steering angle, wheelspeed data), but right now I use it with a dedicated nvidia shield tablet as my dash in the car. What's nice is I just have to launch the app and show up on grid, the rest it does for me these days: sets where it is, creates a session number (triggers timing after passing the start/finish), and I make use of all the various inputs and outputs on the system (along with auto uploading to the cloud). The big advantage to me is that the analysis tool is built into the app, so I can immediately review a session by pulling the tablet out of the car and looking at the lap data.

I've also integrated with video for output (albeit a poor example below), and the output data format works with most of the more professional analysis tools out there

For this year I'm hoping to integrate more of the car's onboard can network, improve the multistage shift light and warning lights, add a few more dedicated sensors (trans and diff temps) and maybe switch cellular providers for the device to improve telemetry transmission.

Last edited:
I bought racecaptures entry level unit, still haven't gotten the chance to try it out... it seemed like the best bang for the buck when I signed up to their kickstarter deal. It uses your phone/tablet as a screen and plugs into your OBDII for car data, and it uses built in GPS and accelerometer sensors for the rest.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors