The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone use Pirelli 315/705/19 slicks on their GT350R?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did Carroll say that temps should be even across the tire? I'm going to need a quote on that one. I will say, there's a couple things to take into account concerning the 'Old Man'.

He spent time with every sort of car, from Formula Ford to Endurance prototypes. He was on the GT40 program, among others. The whole open/closed wheel thing doesn't really matter. The tire doesn't know the difference. At different times I've had people tell me I couldn't do one because of experience with the other. I've never understood why.

Most of his work was on bias ply tires. They tend to run much less camber than radials, so that would naturally make his temperature spread recommendations lower across the tire.

The older I get, the more I'm impressed with what Carroll did. He got all sorts of stuff wrong, but we only know this because he was one of very few of his era (or any) to actually put his thoughts in print. He started writing in the mid-70's and stopped in the mid-90's. He didn't have the data and computer analysis we have. Data systems were still pretty new when he retired from pro racing. It was all just pencil and paper. It's no real surprise he got some stuff wrong, but it's freakin' amazing at how much he got right!
You may be right, I couldn't go straight to that recomendation in one of his books but I did find a reference to it almost immediately in the book
" Chassis Engineering" by Herb Adams, who along with Guldstrand were the guys I followed because they were more production car oriented. I don't take Smith's recomendations lightly, but unfortunately they are becoming dated.
Mostly, they are behind in shock technology.

20220210_205702.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another example from Auto Technology, and I don't agree with it.

"Now to make sense of the temperatures in terms of suspension tuning,

Optimizing tire pressures

Since we know that the hardest working portion of the tire will be the hottest, if the tire temperatures show that the middle of the tire is significantly hotter than the outside portions of the tread (a temperature variation of more than 10-15 degrees) the tire is over inflated. Too much pressure causes the center of the tire to bulge, resulting on most of contact patch being in the center of the tire. If you see temperatures like this, reducing tire pressure should normalize the temperature across the tread width."

TMO Supporting Vendors