The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone using a watts link?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

908ssp said:
If you're looking to buy a Watts link the Whiteline or the Cortex is the way to go. Those Rube Goldberg devises from Fays and Steeda belong on bridges not cars. I made my own and they are well worth the effort and cost.

I'm wondering about the stress placed on the center of the diff ( pumpkin?) vs outer portions of the diff. Or is it even an issue? Something has to negate the shift of body weight and I thought closer to the wheels would better. Would it be more of a twisting motion when it's centered? I'm I looking this the wrong way? Hell of a nice job on your watts link, that looks nice. Must have taking quite a few man hours to make it.

Yeah, after having an 04 Cobra for 8 years and tracking for 5 years. I don't want anything that bolts to the center diff or punkin. It was a leaky nightmare. I finally solved it but almost had to reengineer what Ford did.

ORANGE CRUSH said:
Yeah, after having an 04 Cobra for 8 years and tracking for 5 years. I don't want anything that bolts to the center diff or punkin. It was a leaky nightmare. I finally solved it but almost had to reengineer what Ford did.

That's what I'm wondering about. Anything with a gasket probably shouldn't be torqued back and forth. I would still like to know what kind of stresses are taking place on the center diff. Did you have a watts link?

You know the axle tubes are just pressed into the pig and have a couple small rose welds as a safety? You know those tubes are known to come loose on drag cars and they make brackets to strengthen the axles tubes from bending from the torque of the motor? The axle tubes are hardly a secure place to locate your rear end side loads.

A cast aluminum diff cover is used to strengthen the cast iron pig. Some have provisions to add strength to the bearing caps for the diff itself. And there are ten bolts holding the cover to the pig. If the cover is designed for it there is no better place to hold the SRA from moving side to side.

Zoldier said:
Hmmm. I was set on the Cortex piece but now I'm considering the whiteline. Research time.

Anyone with an LS with the Cortex set up would you please post which setting you are using and if you have done any other suspension mods. other than camber plates. Thanks, Jim

racered302 said:
ORANGE CRUSH said:

That's what I'm wondering about. Anything with a gasket probably shouldn't be torqued back and forth. I would still like to know what kind of stresses are taking place on the center diff. Did you have a watts link?
No the 03 and 04 Cobra's had an IRS and the rear diff was connected to the rear frame support. If you track it, it leaked.

jim woodruff said:
Zoldier said:
Hmmm. I was set on the Cortex piece but now I'm considering the whiteline. Research time.

Anyone with an LS with the Cortex set up would you please post which setting you are using and if you have done any other suspension mods. other than camber plates. Thanks, Jim

1-st thing I installed was cortex watts link, ran with it set neutral, ie middle of adjustment range. Only other mod was camber plates, after running Sears point we adjusted it down 1 position, (still one more available down). Was perfect with stock stuff. Since then I have changed all the suspension to cortex stuff & Hoosier slicks, it is an absolute blast to drive.

For what it's worth, my 07 GT 500 handled like crap. (I think you know that) You couldn't tell where the suspension limits were. I put a Fays 2 Watts link and upper and lower control arms and slightly lower stiffer springs on it. Huge difference. As you know this car still needed more but that was somewhat low budget and it made it predictable.

5 DOT 0 said:
How does the Whiteline Watts links differ from other offerings on the market?

The most unique difference is the use of decent bushings at all points rather than spherical bearings. This has kept the clunks and bangs out of our car.

There are a number of other features, but individually they are duplicated in one or another Watts.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel