The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone who thinks details are not important (tires)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Fun times and considering your esteemed Nationality, I would imagine the cereal malt beverage celebrations for wins was not equaled by any other team!?

Impressive, my friend! Considering the rooftop usage of the Van, surprised you did not sue " TireRack " for using your concept, ha.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Fun times and considering your esteemed Nationality, I would imagine the cereal malt beverage celebrations for wins was not equaled by any other team!?

Impressive, my friend! Considering the rooftop usage of the Van, surprised you did not sue " TireRack " for using your concept, ha.
You wouldn't believe how much gear was crammed into that van. Parts, tools, etc.etc. etc. ....There was a narrow ally way in the middle so we could take turns sleeping in shifts on the floor. Two of us drove from Kingston Ont. to Tacoma Wash. in 49 hrs for a race one time .

Sorry for hijacking the thread !

I was crew chief for Niall Leslie out of Gananoque Ont. and I do remember Doug Shepard ( in his Dodge Shelby Charger ) and some of his co drivers. We probably met a some point. It was a pretty tight community and we would often help other teams out.
That's a dirt track/kart thing to do as well. but don't get caught with one of those in an IMSA or PWC paddock, totally illegal to groove the tires.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Rally guys are still "tractionizing" their tires for better grip on ice.
1617252565072.png

totally illegal to groove the tires.

Speaking of such things, SCCA doesn't allow recaps now, but in the 60's my Dad would get free used Goodyear Blue Streak tires (for the stiff carcass) from teams at Lime Rock, then send them (by Grehyhound bus freight) to Detroit to get recapped with super-sticky compound in a common Dunlop street tire tread pattern. Completely legal at the time.

Rally guys are still "tractionizing" their tires for better grip on ice.
View attachment 64028

Speaking of such things, SCCA doesn't allow recaps now, but in the 60's my Dad would get free used Goodyear Blue Streak tires (for the stiff carcass) from teams at Lime Rock, then send them (by Grehyhound bus freight) to Detroit to get recapped with super-sticky compound in a common Dunlop street tire tread pattern. Completely legal at the time.
Absolutely and that method you show above, is a fantastic way to get around any "200 treadwear" requirement. or for that matter any spec tire requirement. The short track and dirt track guys were using it around here, I'm sure it will be illegal soon.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just out of curiosity. Would the correct recipe for Goat pee be 1/3 acetone, 1/3 mineral spirits and 1/3 transmission fluid?? Not that I would make any.... just wanted to know...... Because actually making it, might be improper. :cool:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Just out of curiosity. Would the correct recipe for Goat pee be 1/3 acetone, 1/3 mineral spirits and 1/3 transmission fluid?? Not that I would make any.... just wanted to know...... Because actually making it, might be improper. :cool:
What I want to know is how long does it last on a road course....oval track where this got popular is typically on much shorter tracks and much shorter races.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
For us, we only have 20min races. And with luck, maybe, we will have a 3 hour enduro at the end of the season.
Not that you would ever use such a thing of course....
How long is your track?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
No, but some of the home made stuff is close to that, acetone seems to be a key ingredient ( so I've been told)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel