The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone with a Track Pack running slicks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This has been a question I've thought about since I had the opportunity to drive a GT350 Track Pack and GT350R at the Sebring Track Tour event; the biggest difference in my opinion was overall grip. I have been wondering how the Track Pack would compare with the R with the right tires, or would slicks overwhelm the Track Pack suspension?

I had the opportunity to ride in Nick's R at VIR last week, and found that the Hoosier R7's work perfectly with the stock suspension. In many cases, slicks with OEM suspension causes a lot more body roll due to the added grip, and suspension upgrades are needed.

Reason I am asking is we are looking into a track-dedicated GT350, and plan on upgrading the tires anyways. For initial cost and availability reasons, a GT350 Track Pack may be the better route for us if the Track Pack suspension can handle the slicks well.

With the non R being more softly sprung it might be a concern. After running mine at Thunderhill I was highly impressed with the capabilities on the stock PSS tires and suspension. But I had to wonder if the springs might be a touch soft with sticky tires on the car. I'll find out soon.

Bay Area
I was at the GT350 Track Tour today in Buttonwillow and I asked about running the tires. The Ford reps (Jason & Mike??), and the driver I was with Stan all said that if you upgraded to the GT350R tires you would be just fine and it would affect the car. Once you go to slicks, well they didn't have a direct answer for that.

byronj said:
I was at the GT350 Track Tour today in Buttonwillow and I asked about running the tires. The Ford reps (Jason & Mike??), and the driver I was with Stan all said that if you upgraded to the GT350R tires you would be just fine and it would affect the car. Once you go to slicks, well they didn't have a direct answer for that.

Wow, great, thanks for checking! You mean it wouldn't affect the car, with the GT350R tires, correct? The GT350R tires are equivalent to a very sticky R comp, almost to a DOT slick in terms of grip, from my experience behind the wheel in an R and right seat in a R with slicks, so I can't imagine an R comp or a DOT slick would be too much of a step up from that. The PSS to PSC2's is already a big jump.

Funny, Stan was my instructor as well for the Sebring Track Tour!

Bay Area
smbstyle said:
Wow, great, thanks for checking! You mean it wouldn't affect the car, with the GT350R tires, correct? The GT350R tires are equivalent to a very sticky R comp, almost to a DOT slick in terms of grip, from my experience behind the wheel in an R and right seat in a R with slicks, so I can't imagine an R comp or a DOT slick would be too much of a step up from that. The PSS to PSC2's is already a big jump.

Funny, Stan was my instructor as well for the Sebring Track Tour!

Ha he was a blast to drive with. Yes the GT350R tires would be just fine, thats what they said.

I registered for the Track Attack today with Bill. We chatted for a while, and he asked if I had tried the Cup2s on my track pack yet. I told him many of us are waiting for our R-spec wheels. Unsolicited, he said the difference between the R and track pack on Cup2s is negligible. As a side note, he had nothing but great things to say about the TMO group who kicked off the track attack and broke in the school cars. We also talked a bit about the school cars reporting for duty with less than 100 miles on them. He confirmed the cars have held up great with no issues.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel