The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone with recent Motor Warranty Claim?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My car has consumed oil since I bought it with 2500 miles on it. Went on oil consumption watch with dealer and they ended up replacing PCV (checked plugs & said they were all ok), but the consumption rate continues to be high (1 qt per 700-900 miles), so it's going back into the dealer for further investigation.

My question is: has anyone had a recent motor issue, and did Ford replace the entire motor/block/heads or simply replace the suspect part?

I hate the idea of having them crack the motor/head open, but don't think they will have much choice, given how much oil this car is using. I'm hoping there are still Boss crate motors....and they simply swap it out.

What is strange is there is no noticeable smoke from the tail pipe on start up, idle or even when pushing it (according to my uncle who followed behind me on a good road trip)

Yes and long blocks are available. They have updated 13 sensors on them which is nice if you have a 12. BTW my new motor burns NO OIL.

I'm with VooDoo Boss. I Got a new motor in March under warranty. I have not added a drop of oil and it has been DRIVEN. Runs like a dream.

There were several cars on this fourm that burned oil and were sold. What year and color is your Boss. Just wondering if it is one of those cars.
However as stated. There are long blocks and if it comes down to that you will be good as new. It is somewhat strange to use so much oil and never see any smoke or leaks IMO. Its going somewhere.
Please keep us posted on your outcome. Good Luck.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll definitely be pushing the dealer to push Ford to replace this motor. It's obvious this issue isn't a PCV problem, and I'm way beyond the break in period, so it's likely a more serious engine issue, that's not going to improve.

As for the history of this car, it's a 12 race red Boss (in service June 2011), purchased (Apr.2014) in Canada from the original owner, a gentleman in his 60's. From everything I could see, the car was not abused (had original rubber on it based on the production date codes) and they were like new. Had 3 oil changes done by the dealership that sold him the car before I got it. Car was not driven much, and perhaps that might have contributed to the issue, who knows?

For those that got new motors, were you given any instructions on breaking them in?

06mach1 said:
The catalytic convertors will burn up the unburned motor oil so you will not see any smoke.

Good point. Maybe I should ask Ford to replace the CATS when they replace the motor....given all the oil I've gone through. Can't be good for the CATS.....

I just had a motor go up on me and Ford is looking for maintenance records according to the dealership to prove oil was changed. I don't keep receipts for such purchases and do everything myself, so I wonder is anyone else in the same boat and if so what have you provided?

Brandon302 said:
I just had a motor go up on me and Ford is looking for maintenance records according to the dealership to prove oil was changed. I don't keep receipts for such purchases and do everything myself, so I wonder is anyone else in the same boat and if so what have you provided?

Well, that would be a big problem I would think. If you can't show Ford any of your receipts proving you bought oil/filters, they don't really have any way of confirming the car was properly maintained. Thankfully, all but one oil change on my car was done @ Ford Dealers, and for the one that I did, I bought my oil/filter thru the dealer, so have my receipt.....and wrote a note on it with the date of the oil/filter change done by myself.

Hope they cut you a break, but I think it will be hard to do so.

Macker said:
Well, that would be a big problem I would think. If you can't show Ford any of your receipts proving you bought oil/filters, they don't really have any way of confirming the car was properly maintained. Thankfully, all but one oil change on my car was done @ Ford Dealers, and for the one that I did, I bought my oil/filter thru the dealer, so have my receipt.....and wrote a note on it with the date of the oil/filter change done by myself.

Hope they cut you a break, but I think it will be hard to do so.

I hope they do, I mean technically if it isn't done at their facility they have no proof, receipts are not. I can buy oil every 6 months or however long an interval ends up being and then never change it and supply for with receipts. I am hoping oil doesn't end up being th factor they find to have caused an issue and then hopefully it doesn't matter what proof I have.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Brandon302:

I would also think that an inspection of the internals would indicate maintenance was performed. Requesting receipts is a SOP for engine failures, so don't be alarmed.

If you kept a log book of mileage and dates of maintenance this might help, but receipts are also used to confirm that proper parts, (filters), and oil specification was used. This is where the OEM special oil spec becomes important.

Good luck,
Dave
2HP

Brandon302 said:

Is it a 2012 or 13? Boss? I had the same issue at 20k and only had 1 oil receipt. I purchase the oil from Ford and have it changed at a local shop. Luckily my engine fell under a problem they found with the cylinder head bolts being torqued wrong causing them to warp and was replaced under warranty. Do some research and see what you can dig up. The dealer is normally hesitant and will make you prove you have done your part before they buy you a new engine but I was really impressed with how they handled my issue once I escalated it past the dealer. I do keep all my receipts now.

I had a burning oil problem with my boss. I was burning about 1 qt per 500 miles. Started in my second year. Maybe had 3000 miles on her. The dealer got involved, added oil twice and was monitoring it. It just stopped on its own after about 1000 miles. I never had smoke either. She runs like a champ still! I also do my own oil changes more than recommended by Ford and i would have a hard time proving that also

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Hambone said:
Is it a 2012 or 13? Boss? I had the same issue at 20k and only had 1 oil receipt. I purchase the oil from Ford and have it changed at a local shop. Luckily my engine fell under a problem they found with the cylinder head bolts being torqued wrong causing them to warp and was replaced under warranty. Do some research and see what you can dig up. The dealer is normally hesitant and will make you prove you have done your part before they buy you a new engine but I was really impressed with how they handled my issue once I escalated it past the dealer. I do keep all my receipts now.

12, the dealership seemed to be forwarding the information I gave them to Ford so I would assume they are going through the warranty work on their end at least.

See if you can get the details of the engine failure. If it is cylinder #3 that had the issue you may gain some ground. Depends on how many miles you have and what mods.

Hambone said:
See if you can get the details of the engine failure. If it is cylinder #3 that had the issue you may gain some ground. Depends on how many miles you have and what mods.

I am going to assume it was cylinder 4 or 8 as the holes were all in the back, the rod missing a bolt was on the passenger side.

just a quick update. Car has been in @ my local dealer since Monday am. They have reached out to Ford Hotline/Engineering. Have rec'd little feedback as yet on what they are going to do. Called Service Mgr. and just rec'd a return phone call from another service advisor.....asking me a couple of questions about the car.....ready for this: What % of driving is city vs. hwy and.....do you tow anything with it! Jeez! Had to hold back on my response to that one.

Anyways, hope to hear something more action oriented tomorrow, but gotta tell ya, this has been painful so far, especially considering I already had the car in there early in march for this issue.

As long as they find the problem and fix under warranty.....I'm ok, though I'm missing driving it!

Macker said:
just a quick update. Car has been in @ my local dealer since Monday am. They have reached out to Ford Hotline/Engineering. Have rec'd little feedback as yet on what they are going to do. Called Service Mgr. and just rec'd a return phone call from another service advisor.....asking me a couple of questions about the car.....ready for this: What % of driving is city vs. hwy and.....do you tow anything with it! Jeez! Had to hold back on my response to that one.

Anyways, hope to hear something more action oriented tomorrow, but gotta tell ya, this has been painful so far, especially considering I already had the car in there early in march for this issue.

As long as they find the problem and fix under warranty.....I'm ok, though I'm missing driving it!
Thats really odd, I wonder how much of these claims rely on the input of the dealership. I got feedback a week later that I was getting a new motor without any word on what even happened to the old one. Hope everything goes well with yours.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Brandon302 - Thanks for your input.

Update#2 - Dealer has been told by Ford to do another Oil Consumption watch. I went through this previously (late last summer, prior to putting car away for winter), so not sure why they want it done again, but I'll comply one more time. And of course, another oil change has to be done (just did one in May), as a starting point. I'll then have to put more miles on the car, and take it back to them to measure/top up. Pain in the butt, but what other choice do I have?

Oh, and to add to the "fun", dealer is out of 5W-50 and has to get some in.....apparently from another dealer! I'll get my car back later this afternoon.

I went through this and eventually went to another dealer that seemed to have a better relationship than with Ford and I had a new motor in a week. Compression was below 155 on all 8 cylinders. New Motor Rocks

TMO Supporting Vendors