The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Anyone's Boss ever have OBDII Emissions test issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone's Boss ever have OBDII emissions test issues? My state has an every couple years test requirement (for some reason I am only getting popped now). For newer vehicles they connect up to the OBDII port and read the info - gives pass or fail. Mine failed for: "OBD Readiness Monitors NOT completed".
Specific items not ready; Fuel System, Catalyst, Oxygen Sensor, Oxygen Heater (not sure what OH is). I was like WTF - its like a brand new car, runs great. It was just a kid who just knew to connect a cord, select a make/model and push a button, he could see it was like new. I think something was wrong with the test (don't we all) but he could only hand me the info on what to do if you get a failed test. With my failed report I get to go to the "next level" which is a more indepth "Repair and Retest Station". Spend at least 300 to try to fix the issue and get a waiver if it can not pass. I am like BS no one is working on this to fix something that isn't broken.

2012 BOSS 302, <10K miles, stock engine. only changes; passenger side oil catch, sound tube delete, KN panel filter. Has TracKey and I use 91 ethanol free. I typically run TracKey, but used Black key for the test. I don't know if this is the issue, maybe I should have driven it around more with the black key before the test.

I do have my own OBDII wifi module and ipad with Dash Command (w Ford 2012 extra parameters) - and a gauge package - and they both pick up all the SAE and Ford parameters. Anyways, I am stuck now have to show there is nothing wrong with my engine (and their programs are FU).

Did you but this car new? That code is usually a result of a tune that turns off the O2 sensors to keep the MIL from coming on due to no cats installed. Is the code showing up when you check it with your scanner?

I would definitely disconnect anything connected to the OBDII bus before you try again just to be safe. And I thought someone had the "readiness" issue in the past and it was due to not having enough miles after a reset of the CEL or a battery replacement.

You need to complete a full OBD II drive cycle per the Ford repair manual. There are a lot of things that make the monitors register as not ready, to include clearing any type of code or disconnecting the battery. Clear a code and your monitors reset and you will need to complete the drive cycle before emissions inspection.

The drive cycle can be found through a simple google search:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

Yes, I bought it new - has everything stock installed. But I think you guys hit on it. I had to replace my battery, and have only driven it with Trackey since then. I used black key for the test and it did not run anywhere near the time listed on the Ford Drive Cycle page. I didn't even give this a thought, I was in a rush, it was just a nice afternoon so I took it out to get it done. Thanks for the input.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
MNG_BOSS302 said:
Yes, I bought it new - has everything stock installed. But I think you guys hit on it. I had to replace my battery, and have only driven it with Trackey since then. I used black key for the test and it did not run anywhere near the time listed on the Ford Drive Cycle page. I didn't even give this a thought, I was in a rush, it was just a nice afternoon so I took it out to get it done. Thanks for the input.

Sounds good, but on the off chance of an emissions related component failure, all emissions control related components have extended Ford warranty coverage. Last time I looked it was a 7/70 period.

Since it's all stock, make a service appointment if the issue continues.

Keep us posted, and thanks
2HP

Is an 02 sensor considered an emissions related component? I looked over the manual and could not for the life of me determine if it was covered or not. The drivers side front sensor went bad and I have tried 3 different people myself included and could not get it out. The last guy suggested pulling the header. I need to go get my airbag replaced due to recall so maybe I can have them change it then. My smog will be due next Dec.

I will have to update this in the spring as it turned winter here. I had to call the Air Resources Board and tell them it was winterized and not coming out for a while. They changed the due date to April, not a big issue. Thanks for the input, I will remember drive the black key for a few hours before heading over.

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Hambone said:
Is an 02 sensor considered an emissions related component? I looked over the manual and could not for the life of me determine if it was covered or not. The drivers side front sensor went bad and I have tried 3 different people myself included and could not get it out. The last guy suggested pulling the header. I need to go get my airbag replaced due to recall so maybe I can have them change it then. My smog will be due next Dec.

Yes, O2 Sensors are included as well as the catylitic converters.

Update on my 2012 Boss 302 emissions test in NJ, (a CARB compliant state). Last week, I rolled through NJ DMV emissions testing station and passed with TracKey, (lopey idle and all). I meant to use the silver key, but forgot. I did re-install my OEM Boss 302 side exhaust attenuator plates as un-plugged Kooks Side Pipes are a bit loud.

The DMV employee was a big Mustang fan and loved the Boss 302. That was cool.
2HP

Well I got this figured out. Last weekend it was nice out so I took the car out for a 70 mile ride and then headed over to the emission test place. Still failed for the same 4 not ready, I put another 80 on it still no luck. Today I put my ELM327 device on (don't ask why I didn't do this already) and scanned my codes using DashCommand on my ipad. It showed the 4 codes not ready, and an Engine Code for Skip Shift. Hmm, I said to myself - I have that disconnected (and has been since 2011 - pre trackey). So I jacked it up and reconnected the skip shift cable and reset the codes. The skip shift code when away and the 8 emissions reset to not ready. I took the car out for a ride. In less then 10 miles 4 codes went ready (highway 60-65 steady), another 5 miles and 2 more went ready (40-55 easy accel/decel) and in another 5 miles the final 2 went ready (steady 45). So it appears to me the skip shift "engine" code was keeping the emissions from going to ready. I will leave it connected and just run the trackey like I normally do. Actually I am wondering if it would have passed using trackey (provided I reset the skip shift code). Anyways, I have my passed form yea!!!. I guess this makes it a specific 2012 problem when disconnecting the skip shift cable. If any one knows if there is something to connect to the cable to keep the code from being set let me know (I have heard there is one for vettes).

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
I have my skip shift connected, and I really don't mind it when it occurs I just flick my wrist upward had go to 3rd gear.

TK disables skip shift so no problems keeping it connected.

Yes, you would have passed emissions with TK. Remember its release was delayed due to the CA CARB certification process.

I think they neutered the TK Program and deleted the FRPP high flow air filter that was originally included with the TK Tune.

302 HP

FWIW, My skip shift has been disconnected since 2012 and the Boss passed emissions with flying colors last year. In Ct, when you buy a new car it is exempt from emission testing the first 5 yrs & then needs to get tested every 2 yrs after that.Maybe my wide open side pipes helped me pass?

That's interesting 302BOB. I was making the assumption my SS engine code was there due to some start up sequence and it did not have a proper read back from the solenoid. Maybe it had something to do with my battery replacement that reset everything and with SS disconnected they did not go ready. Maybe once it goes ready (w SS connected) it doesn't matter if you disconnect it after that. But I really have no idea why it was there, and I have no idea how long the code was there as this was the first time since new that I had an OBD II emissions test (and SS has been disconnected since about a month after I got the car - oh and I do not have the side plates either). It clearly has no effect on the car performance. All I can say is until I cleared the code and connected the cable - those 4 systems would not go ready regardless how many miles I drove it. Whether clearing the code and not connecting the cable would have worked, don't know, I was desperate to get it done as I was 6 months overdue by that point. I will have to have mine done again next April (to satisfy the extension they gave me) and then I go back to every 2 years.

Maybe I will play around with DashCommand, now that all systems are ready I can disconnect SS and see what it does, then reset my system and with SS disconnect see what it does - if they will not go ready after that (that will simulate my battery replacement).

TMO Supporting Vendors