The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AP Racing Big Brake Kits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I came across these AP Racing kits by Essex. Not sure if anyone has pointed these out already, but I've always been a fan of AP Racing brakes so thought I'd pass it along. Both of the Mustang kits in the link below come with 6 piston calipers, 374mm (just under 15") rotors and use the thick endurance pads (like the Brembo race / 302R calipers). With two kits costing $4100 & $4500, they appear to be a bargain compared to the equivalent Brembo kits.

https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicle/2012/Ford/Mustang/Boss 302

Last edited:
If you have the money, get the big one.
I have been running them for 1 year now and they're awesome. And brake fade is a thing of the past.

I get about 15H+ for a set of brake pad (Pagid RST-3) and the discs have 30H+ and are still OK.
Comparing to the stock Brembo I was only get about 5H for a set of pad and 15h-20H on a set of disc.
25345164197_86064ddbb1_b.jpg

Current wear on the rotor after 13 track days
40215967211_45020d1d99_b.jpg

I have the competition calipers set to go on my S197. Very soon. They are a gorgeous piece of brake machinery.

I got the larger kit with the capacity for the thicker pads. Plenty of clearance on my 11” CF-5 wheels.

I did lots of digging / reading / looking before getting these and they appear to the cost/performance leader for real race brakes. If you have not discovered it yet, they are actually a subsidiary of Brembo. Lots of race heritage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a S197? Only questioning to confirm if rear systems are available...

There are no rear systems from Essex from AP Racing. Stillen has a 4 piston rear caliper from AP Racing but it is decidedly for street duty, not a true racing brake.

Best thing for the rear is the PFC World Challenge rear caliper kit. (Lines, relocation/strengthening bracket/2 piece floating rotor)

I have ordered that kit from Cortex for the rear to go along with my competition AP Racing brakes for the front.

All the stop this season at the track!

We just received the large kit to be installed on a customer's 197. We are currently working with Cortex and Essex to use the AP CP5510 rear caliper and 310mm rotor on the Cortex rear axle on the same car. This caliper combination results in a 70.7% distribution to the front, which is the exact same as the new FP350s.

We recently became a Cortex and Essex dealer and both these companies are great to work with!

Has anyone who's running these also used the 4 Piston Competition Brembo kit that came on the 302S/R (with or without the upgraded brake booster that came on the 302R)? It'd be great to get some feedback from someone who has experience with both systems and can compare them.

Our customer ran the AX2 Brembo caliper and 355mm rotors which came off the 302 boss s/r (pre '15-changed to the AX3 after that). After the pistons severely mushroomed from heat and pressure (they are aluminum), we started looking at other options. Ran with the big Wilwood Aero6 front and Aero4 rear last year and had better luck with the calipers not damaging pistons, but pad options were an issue as well as rotor longevity. Going to the AP system this year and hopefully getting the same results as Swiss Boss above.

Our customer ran the AX2 Brembo caliper and 355mm rotors which came off the 302 boss s/r (pre '15-changed to the AX3 after that). After the pistons severely mushroomed from heat and pressure (they are aluminum), we started looking at other options. Ran with the big Wilwood Aero6 front and Aero4 rear last year and had better luck with the calipers not damaging pistons, but pad options were an issue as well as rotor longevity. Going to the AP system this year and hopefully getting the same results as Swiss Boss above.
Thanks - I recently picked up a lightly used set of the Brembo's with spare discs, pads and the 302R booster but am now debating if I should try to sell it all and go with one of these AP kits.

Thanks - I recently picked up a lightly used set of the Brembo's with spare discs, pads and the 302R booster but am now debating if I should try to sell it all and go with one of these AP kits.

As an Essex/AP dealer, we have been authorized to offer a special price to TMO members only. I cannot publish or advertise this amount, but feel free to contact us for further information on your needs.

You can get a hold of me directly at [email protected]

There are no rear systems from Essex from AP Racing. Stillen has a 4 piston rear caliper from AP Racing but it is decidedly for street duty, not a true racing brake.

Best thing for the rear is the PFC World Challenge rear caliper kit. (Lines, relocation/strengthening bracket/2 piece floating rotor)

I have ordered that kit from Cortex for the rear to go along with my competition AP Racing brakes for the front.

All the stop this season at the track!

Spoke with our rep. at Essex this morning and he said they are aware of the lack of options for the rear of these cars and are currently working on putting one together that works in conjunction with the front kit.

What AP front caliper should i go with the 9660 or the 9668?. The 9668 is more racey due to quick change pad clips and a wider body to accommodate 25mm pads vs 18mm pads of the 9660.

I have vorschlag d force wheelz and they seem to have a lot of clearance to the stock brembos.

What AP front caliper should i go with the 9660 or the 9668?. The 9668 is more racey due to quick change pad clips and a wider body to accommodate 25mm pads vs 18mm pads of the 9660.

I have vorschlag d force wheelz and they seem to have a lot of clearance to the stock brembos.

I went with the big ones, the 9668 and have tons of room with my 18” CF5 wheels. AP Racing has a paper template you can print out for the caliper to check fitment before ordering. Download the PDF, print it out and check to see if it will fit. That’s what I did.

TMO Supporting Vendors