The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

APEX - Mustang Wheel Design Survey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
50441885028_9a2afd404c_b.jpg

APEX wants to hear from you and ensure we are providing the designs you want the most for the Mustang community, and thus we’re asking for your feedback on which direction we should go. APEX has always put the community first and takes your guidance and opinions into everything we offer. Whether you love our current designs or want to see something else, we want to know! Have a finish that you love, but we don’t offer it yet? We want to know! We are excited to continue our relationship with this community and ensure you are proud of the fitment and style wheels being offered to you.

So when you grab your next cup of coffee, or during your late-night forum browsing, could you take a minute to share your thoughts with us? We appreciate your feedback and look forward to contributing to this community further.

LEARN MORE ABOUT APEX
For those whom we have not yet had the pleasure of working with, since 2007, our focus at APEX has been to produce high-performance wheels with extreme durability and unprecedented value for the performance driving community. Combining proven Motorsport design features, vehicle specific optimizations, and advanced flow-forming and forging technology, we've created wheels that have taken performance driving enthusiasts by storm. As a grassroots Motorsport oriented company, composed of a diverse group of auto enthusiasts, we understand that enthusiasts from all corners of the car community seek quality products at an affordable price point and that these should not be mutually exclusive.

- Team APEX

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
I took the survey and voted for F, pictured below, just because its a similar design to the PP2 wheel. I'd pre-order that tomorrow for something different. Nice depth (concave) and great design. Not really a fan of the new SM-10 but thats just a personal preference.
Now if simple is where its at, a 5 or 6 spoke similar to the Forgestar is a classic look if it has some depth.

apex.png

Last edited:
sfo
Apex,

Function before design!

1- Universally on the S550 the EC-7 is used. Why can't we have an EC-7 with the right offsets so giant spacers don't have to be used?

2-Look at your own picture. 99% of us track guys do not race with the centercaps. In fact some organizations require that we remove them. Centerlock wheels come with a hoop nut to quickly tie down racecars. Why not blow every other lugged wheel maker off the market and make a hooped cam lock that would lock into the stepped recess in the center of the EC-7 wheel that we could insert with wheel on car and quickly tiedown our racecars?

aa.jpg

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
I just hope they don't get rid of the SM-10's. It's the only wheel I like and have ever wanted on my car. If I can't get those, I'm selling my headache and buying a motorcycle. ..I'm only half joking.

I'm probably an outlier, but I'm really a fan of 10-spoke designs organized in pairs resembling a 5-spoke/star layout, like the OEM Brembo wheels. My favorite current offering is the SM-10 design. My OCD gets me when the spoke count isn't an integer when divided by the amount of lug nuts, so for the Mustang it's 5 or 10 for me. You can call me weird if you want :p

I was really a fan of this SVE GT7 design when it came out, since it almost seemed like an updated Brembo concept:
1615552340087.png
Maybe offset the lug nut between the spoke pairs, like the Brembo wheel, for better socket access. Looks good with concavity:
1615552517425.png
Similar idea, this time from a Porsche GT3 RS:
1615552640290.png

I'll go sit in the corner now.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I've always liked the split-spoke designs. Particularly with the split-8 design that was perhaps most closely associated with the 'Cosmic' wheels of the 1970s, the split-5 from the 2008-ish GT500, and the split-7 (seen in my sig pic).

Norm

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Apex,

Function before design!

1- Universally on the S550 the EC-7 is used. Why can't we have an EC-7 with the right offsets so giant spacers don't have to be used?

2-Look at your own picture. 99% of us track guys do not race with the centercaps. In fact some organizations require that we remove them. Centerlock wheels come with a hoop nut to quickly tie down racecars. Why not blow every other lugged wheel maker off the market and make a hooped cam lock that would lock into the stepped recess in the center of the EC-7 wheel that we could insert with wheel on car and quickly tiedown our racecars?

View attachment 63356

It's been a while since I've had my mind blown, but that's an awesome idea.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
As Bob noted function first and that would be what would be my first criteria with any rim -------------strength and low weight! So many rims look good , but they screw up the unsprung weight due to looks over function. Love the SM-10 ( have had 3 sets over the years ) but would buy something different if Apex says their new design is not only stronger , it weighs even less.

Function --- Bob said it all.

TMO Supporting Vendors