The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Apex Mustang Wheels again....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman said:
They are about 20 min from here. tell you what, If you get the job you can join us for Friday BBQ's at the shop.
Kevin comes to most of them. He's a great source of information and a really good guy. You'll like him.
Make sure Kevin wears his mullet wig/hat to the BBQ's!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
VoodooBOSS said:
You know, I actually haven't see that. I'll have to ask him about it.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
byronj said:
I did it. I have the time and experience so I put my resume in. Let's see if the call. Worst thing they can do is throw my resume in the circular filing cabinet.

Best of luck! Did you put Grant 302 or Fabman as your reference? ;-) ;D

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
VoodooBOSS said:
He couldn't make it today :(

16114421_10154896735203535_1738718952557334966_n.jpg

Utah
Well, I just added my name as well to the Apex 18x11E7 request.

It is too bad we have no idea as to when they may become available. Just hope for the best.

I currently run Apex 18x10 E7et43mm wheels square and have been very happy with them. But as others have noted in other posts and subjects, an 18x11 wheel will better handle the wider tire widths. Yeah, I have read all TMO posts about wider wheels, wider tires and possible appropriate wheel offsets.

Two years ago I ordered Forgestar 18x10 wheels but after a 2 1/2 month wait I canceled my order and ordered Apex 18x10 E7 wheels which were in stock. It is all personal opinion, but I prefer the look of the Apex E7 wheels vs Forgestar F14 wheels. But rather than wait for a future wider 18x11 Apex wheel, I again ordered Forgestar F14 wheels in Dec 2016. This time the wait was just 6 weeks for custom offset, F14 18x11et 52mm wheels. They are a square set so I will run have to run spacers up front. The advantage of the F14 18" wheel is that you can order a custom offsets in the 11mm to 55m range. Of course custom offsets mandate a longer wait.

So, like you guys, I am waiting for the Apex 18x11 wheel (unknown offset) but in the meantime, I guess F14 18x11 wheels will suffice.

zajac said:
Well, I just added my name as well to the Apex 18x11E7 request.

It is too bad we have no idea as to when they may become available. Just hope for the best.

I currently run Apex 18x10 E7et43mm wheels square and have been very happy with them. But as others have noted in other posts and subjects, an 18x11 wheel will better handle the wider tire widths. Yeah, I have read all TMO posts about wider wheels, wider tires and possible appropriate wheel offsets.

Two years ago I ordered Forgestar 18x10 wheels but after a 2 1/2 month wait I canceled my order and ordered Apex 18x10 E7 wheels which were in stock. It is all personal opinion, but I prefer the look of the Apex E7 wheels vs Forgestar F14 wheels. But rather than wait for a future wider 18x11 Apex wheel, I again ordered Forgestar F14 wheels in Dec 2016. This time the wait was just 6 weeks for custom offset, F14 18x11et 52mm wheels. They are a square set so I will run have to run spacers up front. The advantage of the F14 18" wheel is that you can order a custom offsets in the 11mm to 55m range. Of course custom offsets mandate a longer wait.

So, like you guys, I am waiting for the Apex 18x11 wheel (unknown offset) but in the meantime, I guess F14 18x11 wheels will suffice.
Got.my 18x10 cf5 in 5 weeks. Just bolted them on yesterday.524a96ae32f48b53826d1f6ac52b06ed.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Where do you guys order your custom Forgestars from?
I got my current set from AmericanMuscle, mainly because it was a size they frequently stocked (F14 18x10), but i'm interested in getting 18x11s sometime soon.

Utah
1. American Muscle and others sell the off the shelf Forgestar wheels with standard/general use offsets.

2. Vorshlag sells Forgestar wheels and among other Forgestar choices, sell a set of F14/CF5 18x11 wheels using no spacers but different offsets for front and rear. Non-rotateable

3. I talked to "Ace" at Forgestar and he said; quote; "the highest priority wheel orders are from "GetYourWheels.com". So I ordered my Forgestar F14 18x11 wheels with my choice/custom 52mm offsets, (11mm-55mm available in 18x11) through Jason Tung at [email protected] 562-219-2525 www.GetYourWheels.com

zajac said:
1. American Muscle and others sell the off the shelf Forgestar wheels with standard/general use offsets.

2. Vorshlag sells Forgestar wheels and among other Forgestar choices, sell a set of F14/CF5 18x11 wheels using no spacers but different offsets for front and rear. Non-rotateable

3. I talked to "Ace" at Forgestar and he said; quote; "the highest priority wheel orders are from "GetYourWheels.com". So I ordered my Forgestar F14 18x11 wheels with my choice/custom 52mm offsets, (11mm-55mm available in 18x11) through Jason Tung at [email protected] 562-219-2525 www.GetYourWheels.com
Thanks. What width spacer are you using up front?

Utah
As I mentioned earlier, I had a read a whole bunch of TMO posts of wheel offsets and running 18x11 wheels. Those posts cover it in pretty good detail. Most guys commenting in those TMO were looking at same offset front and rear to enable rotating wheels/tires depending on track wear. Apex E7 18x10 et43mm is a great wheel and you can rotate them but a "just" 10" wide. You simply cannot rotate four 18x11 wheels without using a spacer.

I just received my F14 wheels and don't have my tires mounted yet. For me, the process in determining what offset I wanted also had to ensure that the wheels/tires did not stick out beyond the body, had clearance to rear coilover springs (Cotex coilovers w/spings mounted on the shocks) and clear the front Cortex "offset" struts. I measured the exact wheel, not tire clearances, with my existing Apex 18x10 et43mm wheels as well as body clearances. Of course, some negative camber is needed on the front but that is no problem as I mainly track my 2007 Saleen Parenlli Jones Edition, 302 forged motor with a Saleen Series VI supercharger.

Based on the above, the short answer, in theory, is I need a 1/2" spacer on the front to give me 9.3mm clearance from the 18x11 et52mm F14 wheels to the struts.

Obviously, the actual tire size and brand may affect the choice of a 1/2" spacer in the front. But if a slightly wider spacer is need that is no problem with my extended studs in the front as well as the rear.

My plan is to run four 315/30/18 tires on the four F14 18x11 wheels. It might be a couple weeks before I can test my "plan" with tires mounted but will first double check clearances with just the F14 wheels w/no tires mounted next week. I will report back my results.

F14 18x11 et55 would have been another choice but the consensus on the TMP posts is that 52mm was the optimum choice for four 18x11 wheels.

Cost? four F14 18x11 et52mm wheels $1400. I like the Jongbloed 700wheels better that the F14 wheels but those are also about $1400 but only 18x10.5. Clearly, you can buy higher end forged wheels and can select custom finishes and offsets. I run HRE wheels on my C7.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
This is a super useful tool to see how one setup compares to another.
Check it out. http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
zajac said:
As I mentioned earlier, I had a read a whole bunch of TMO posts of wheel offsets and running 18x11 wheels. Those posts cover it in pretty good detail. Most guys commenting in those TMO were looking at same offset front and rear to enable rotating wheels/tires depending on track wear. Apex E7 18x10 et43mm is a great wheel and you can rotate them but a "just" 10" wide. You simply cannot rotate four 18x11 wheels without using a spacer.

I just received my F14 wheels and don't have my tires mounted yet. For me, the process in determining what offset I wanted also had to ensure that the wheels/tires did not stick out beyond the body, had clearance to rear coilover springs (Cotex coilovers w/spings mounted on the shocks) and clear the front Cortex "offset" struts. I measured the exact wheel, not tire clearances, with my existing Apex 18x10 et43mm wheels as well as body clearances. Of course, some negative camber is needed on the front but that is no problem as I mainly track my 2007 Saleen Parenlli Jones Edition, 302 forged motor with a Saleen Series VI supercharger.

Based on the above, the short answer, in theory, is I need a 1/2" spacer on the front to give me 9.3mm clearance from the 18x11 et52mm F14 wheels to the struts.

Obviously, the actual tire size and brand may affect the choice of a 1/2" spacer in the front. But if a slightly wider spacer is need that is no problem with my extended studs in the front as well as the rear.

My plan is to run four 315/30/18 tires on the four F14 18x11 wheels. It might be a couple weeks before I can test my "plan" with tires mounted but will first double check clearances with just the F14 wheels w/no tires mounted next week. I will report back my results.

F14 18x11 et55 would have been another choice but the consensus on the TMP posts is that 52mm was the optimum choice for four 18x11 wheels.

Cost? four F14 18x11 et52mm wheels $1400. I like the Jongbloed 700wheels better that the F14 wheels but those are also about $1400 but only 18x10.5. Clearly, you can buy higher end forged wheels and can select custom finishes and offsets. I run HRE wheels on my C7.
Looking forward to hearing how the 315 Hoosiers fit since we share the same body style.

Utah
I thought I would report back now that I have received my Forgestar F14 wheels, 18x11 e52mm.

I first checked the wheels to verify the correct offset of 52mm as ordered. All four wheels measured 52mm offset. Great! I then mounted the bare wheels to confirm/measure that the wheel clearances to strut, shocks and fenders were as I theoretically measured. The bare wheel measurementsa check out very close to what I anticipated. I then finally got around to mounting the BFG 315/30/18 tires on the F14 wheels and installed them. I used a 12mm spacer for the front tires.

Vehicle: 2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones Edition. Offset struts w/Koni Yellows, rear Cortex Koni shocks/springs in true coilover position. 2.8 deg camber, lowered for track use.

With the mounted wheel/tire laying on the floor, I measured the height of the F14 18x11 wheel with the BFG 315/30/18 mounted tire...height is 12.5" so tire sticks out of wheel 1/4" each side at max cross section tire width.

After mounting the wheels/tires, I measured max tire width clearances to struts, shocks and fenders. I use various width spacers for a go-no-go fit and then measure the appropriate fitting spacer. I used a 4 ft level placed against the tire max cross section to check tire to fender clearance. All measurements taken at normal/static ride height.

1. L&R rear tires measured 1/16" gap to fenders.....tire max width cross section stuck out beyond rear fender surface 1/16".

2. L&R rear tires measured tires 0.70 gap to rear shock body. Note: Vorshlag removes bump stop sheet metal for clearance. see Vorshlag "Fitting 11" wide wheel" video.

3. LF tire measured 1/16" gap to fender with 2.8 neg camber. Tire max width was 1/16 inside of outer fender surface with 12mm spacer installed

4. RF tire measured 1/8" gap to fender with 2.8 neg camber. Tire max width was 1/8" inside of outer fender surface with 12mm spacer installed.

5. L&R Front tires both measured 3/8" to L&R Cortex offset strut body. Plenty of clearance.

After checking the clearances with the max width cross section of the BFG 315/30/18 tire - no rim guard - I was thinking that maybe a 55mm offset instead of a 52mm offset would have worked just as well and maybe even better since the rear tires would have been flush with the outside of the fenders. Also, the 55mm offset just means you run whatever width spacer you need for the front and more importantly target the best rear offset for fitting within the wheel well with no spacers.

I have also thought of running a 305 tire instead of the 315 tire but that would mean other brands of tires and usually a .35 profile and a 1" taller tire. But hey, a tire only last about 6-8 track days so the next choice is not far away.

zajac

TMO Supporting Vendors