The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

April 26-28 NASA Time Trials and Race at MAM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
www.racenasacentral.com

Great weekend in the Midwest and ability to run your Boss and get in a Series done in our area. Whether you want to do HPDEs , Time Trials, or full blown racing, this new NASA group is hitting MAM, MPH, Hallett, Heartland Park Topeka, High Plains Raceway, and Gateway.

Most of our Bosses will run in TT3 or TT2 and no need to Dyno this year ( ask me if the rules are confusing ). Be great to get a bunch of us out, as we could have our own group, even look into their Team concept, but the biggest plus is with the Time Trials ( or full blown racing ) the Nationals are at Miller Motorsports Park.

Fun to run against other machines and show them what the Boss can do, and chatting with friends the Boss is strong in TT3 and TT2, so we can have a strong impact.

Bill Pemberton
Viper, SRT and Performance Mgr
Woodhouse
[email protected]
1-800-889-1893
cell 402-677-5864

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I'll most definitely see them at High Plains... I may make MPH (schedule is full right now).

A full weight Boss 302 with driver comes in at about 9.8:1 on the Time Trials scale. That's taking the aero hit (splitter). Running full slicks gets it down to 9.15:1. Well within TT3 specs.

Most of the 302S cars are falling in TT2 unless they ballast up to the 9.0:1 level.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
True , John , but there appears to be a 7 point automatic hit for the Boss, so more and more are going into TT2 with mods. Lightly done, TT3 will catch quite a few, but the car seems pretty competitive in TT2, and with Continental Slicks being the same points as a set of Hoosiers, the take offs can be gotten cheaply and it keeps cost down. Will try and make it to High Plains , as want to run that track.

Just appears it would be a good venue for us to go show folks how fast the Bosses are!?

drano38

Wayne
The way this spring winter is going, I won't even be able to get the Boss out of the garage until well into May! I'll keep these in mind.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Heck, get down here at the end of April -- gotta be warmer near Glenwood , Iowa ( MAM ) than up North in snowmobile country , ha,ha.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Bill Pemberton said:
True , John , but there appears to be a 7 point automatic hit for the Boss, so more and more are going into TT2 with mods. Lightly done, TT3 will catch quite a few, but the car seems pretty competitive in TT2, and with Continental Slicks being the same points as a set of Hoosiers, the take offs can be gotten cheaply and it keeps cost down. Will try and make it to High Plains , as want to run that track.

Modification points were 2012 (TTA, TTS, TTU, TTR). For 2013, TT1-TT3 are all power to weight. While there are points for some tires and aero, everything else is power to weight.

The TT1-TT3 classification form can be found here. Much easier to 'get right' this year, not to mention much better than last year where the boss ended up in TTS (TTA* base class + hoosiers = TTS) against Z06s on slicks and aero.

I've done pretty well against TT3 GTS3s the last two events.... new Hoosiers for next weekend should help level the field. We should have enough cars in TT3 next weekend for contingency tires!!!

TT2 is a pretty gnargly class... I know I don't want to play in that class with the Boss... but I'm not as crazy as you :)

Thanks for the heads up Bill! I'm free that wkend as far as I know (unless my wifey comes up w/ something else for me to do), so I may sign up for HPDE. Only question is, do they force me to do Group 1 since this would be the first NASA event, or since I'm not a novice driver can I start off in group 2 or 3.

Going to BTA May 5th, so this would be a nice way to get some Boss track time before BTA. There's also a Great Plains Region PCA DE at MAM May 4-5, so I may do one day of that, too.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sure you could get in Group 2 or 3. Get a couple under your belt and you could do Time Trials. Be a riot to get a bunch of us out there at their events and you will get more track time than you do even with PCA.

Hastings has a Mustang/Mini event in the middle of March , also.

Bill Pemberton said:
Sure you could get in Group 2 or 3. Get a couple under your belt and you could do Time Trials. Be a riot to get a bunch of us out there at their events and you will get more track time than you do even with PCA.

Hastings has a Mustang/Mini event in the middle of March , also.
Looks like I'll make that one at MPH. Bunch of my buddies are going to RA that same weekend, but I'm already heading out there the end of June and one 8 hour pull in a month is enough.

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska
Does anyone know the spectator situation for next weekend? I won't be ready for track time yet...but a bunch of friends in Omaha are interested into coming down to watch... gate fee? or just sign the waiver?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You are more than welcome ------ Spectators just need to sign a waiver, but keep in mind that HPDE 1 ( first level ) is perfect to get started. Instruction with experienced drivers, plenty of track time, and you just need to make sure your car is in good condition and things have been checked over. Helmet, flat shoes, jeans, long sleeve shirt and you are ready to participate.

Bill Pemberton
[email protected]
402-426-4126 work

Bill Pemberton said:
Couple of Bosses there to participate and still time to sign up ---Weather Forecast is in the 70s ( can you say friggin perfect ?!)
Best of luck! I'll wave on my way to Lincoln to move my kids out of their dorms ::)

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska
cloud9 said:
Best of luck! I'll wave on my way to Lincoln to move my kids out of their dorms ::)

My mother just pointed west and said Lincoln is that way...
She figured I could get there and back on my own... muttered something about being a grown up now... lol... still haven't grown up, but I did make it there and back..

GB899 said:
My mother just pointed west and said Lincoln is that way...
She figured I could get there and back on my own... muttered something about being a grown up now... lol... still haven't grown up, but I did make it there and back..
Trust me that would have been my answer, just not sure that would have flown with their mother. Hell my youngest is working for me this summer installing office furniture and the oldest is working for a major software company this summer so explain to me again why I'm not at the track and moving them out of their dorms??? Well on second thought don't. ::)

GB899 said:
trust me, I understand the whole happy wife happy life arrangement...
hopefully we will get to meet in Hastings this fall... or in between sometime.
Sounds good. Take a look at the Mustang/Mini Cooper event at Hastings June 15/16.

GB899

NO REGRETS
Nebraska
cloud9 said:
Sounds good. Take a look at the Mustang/Mini Cooper event at Hastings June 15/16.

Unfortunately ( or not... )
I will be on my way back from Track Attack and won't be able to make that one...

doing the 2 day class Tuesday and Wednesday...
then family vacation the rest of the week...

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dave Andersen came and participated in the HPDE, but neither of us could talk Rob Lechner into running is Blue Boss. There was a rare Silver Laguna Seca also running in TT3 with me, and so at one point there were four Bosses standing tall in the Paddock. Dave entered in HPDE 2, but one ride with him convinced me he is more than ready to move up. Good driver and he was pushing the Boss pretty darn strong on the stock Pirellis. No one was catching him except a Nissan GTR, and he should be moved up also as he was wicked fast also.

Be great to see a few more of us at the coming events, since the Boss is darn competitive in TT3 , and reasonably competitive in TT2 for those with more mods.

Was able to set a new track record with a low 142.2, though I ran a 1:41 in the warm up session that I found out later did not count --oh,well.

Ran on the Continental GT slicks from GT Track Days ( Greg Miller 414-640-7218) and found these used Grand Am tires to be well worth the money invested ( 100 per tire ). Thanks to Gary Gaspar for telling me about Greg and his partner Todd Zimmer. Good guys to talk to and though I would agree with Gary that these tires are not quite as fast as Hoosier R6s, they are a good value and still work well.

Need to get more of the Nebraska Boss Owners to join Dave and I , so we can hang at the events together and give each other moral support, ha.

TMO Supporting Vendors