The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Are my brake rotors warped or is this a pad issue (Hawk HP+)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First track day I put new pads on and did not have much time to break them in so I just drove it.

Right away it felt like my rotors had suddenly warped to hell and back and the wheel was actually shaking. It felt worse sometimes vs. others in that session and seemed to get a little better as time went on.

Checked wheel torque, calipers not loose, etc. there was all kinds of ugly pad deposits on my Girodisc 2pcs rotors. this is stock Brembo Brake GT.

By the end of the 4th session they were smooth but loud in an aircraft landing braking way it seems those slotted rotors get loud on this car.. but they were not vibrating and having an effect on the steering wheel the warping seemed fixed.

Fast forward a couple weeks later on a cruise to the store I braked from higher speeds hard and it feels like they are warped again ignore the horrid squealing noises.

So do need new rotors or is this pad material? also looks like uneven heat patches like the first 3/4" of the rotor coming from the hub are normal and the last part is darker like its been toasted. Got some new ceramic street pads going back on. Thoughts??

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Guessing uneven pad deposits as well, exacerbated by not being bedded in. When you swap pads, check the pads for signs of overheating or even localized melting.

Something like Carbotech XP10 or G-loc R10 would have been a better choice if you were trying for a pad that could work reasonably well in both street and track driving. Much better bite than any street ceramic, far less rotor wear in street duty than HP+ and probably better fade resistance on the track. Somewhere in the middle for noise, closer to HP+ for front wheel dust.

Norm

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
One minor trick we used to check for warped rotor was to wet the brakes down and go for a short drive. Warped rotor still shook, uneven pad deposits = no shake. Pull rotors and pads, clean up rotors and sometimes you could clean up the pads. Also never was car and park it in the garage. Always short drive nice hard braking and a cool down drive, gets all the water driven out of the brakes.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I had a similar issue when I first went with a track pad. The cure was to clean the rotors with a DA sander, while the rotors were still on the car. Then rebed the brakes. You do need to block off cooling for the front brakes to effectively bed. A piece of tape across the intakes worked for me.

Pagid RSL29's work well on the track and street. They a race pad with ok manners on the street.
I also ran the Pagid on the track and street with good results.

Anytime I change pads OR rotors I bed them in.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I assume the ones Norm highlighted are street track.
Actually they're specifically listed as being track pads, no "street" in their descriptions whatsoever. But if you can stand some dust and a bit of noise, they've proved to be streetable even as temperatures drop into the low 30°'s and high 20°'s F.

Norm

Update. I put new street pads on front and rear and also used some 100 grit sandpaper on the front rotors.

Now there is zero pulsation even stopping from highway speeds!

Also wanted to note that the paint on the backs of these Hawk HP+ pads was bubbled up, melted and flaking off. The extra caliper lube I applied between the noise plate was also burned to a crisp. I'm real surprised no brake fade happened with no shims, thin pads, and simple dot 4. Impressed all around.

Last edited:
Lol.. i got a little sporty following a friends gto on an exit ramp. My new auto zone ceramic street pads are smooth and quirt but they heat up and start burning so damn fast!

Whats that smell? Its got to be the goat in front of me.. nope he was on hawk hps. Its me mr
Ceramic stinko.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome to the Perfuming of your braking zones.............too many the sense of smell is a secondary reassurance the pads be workin!!

I remember once when bedding in a new set of pads I had smoke billowing out of the front wheel wells. Now that makes you wonder if the pads are up to the temperatures you will get them build up too? Surprisingly, those pads were killer and likely the issue was I had not cleaned off the rotors properly. TMS has a good solution , listed above....

Welcome to the Perfuming of your braking zones.............too many the sense of smell is a secondary reassurance the pads be workin!!

I remember once when bedding in a new set of pads I had smoke billowing out of the front wheel wells. Now that makes you wonder if the pads are up to the temperatures you will get them build up too? Surprisingly, those pads were killer and likely the issue was I had not cleaned off the rotors properly. TMS has a good solution , listed above....

I need to see this! wish there was a pic or video the word billowing is perfectly suited i'm sure.

TMO Supporting Vendors