The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Are Swirl Removers Considered an Abrasive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When I purchased my Boss, I got one of those ultra clear coat treatments (ekoguard). It seems to be holding up pretty nicely, but some swirls have started showing up, maybe when I waxed it. Anyway, one of the things it says is to not use abrasive treatments on it. Would like to get the swirls out but don't want to ruin the ekoguard. Any thoughts on this?

With a proper swirl remover it will have abrasives in it as a way to take down the clear coat ridges that are the swirls. Now there are "swirl removers" That aren't really swirl removers like glazes and such and they have filling properties that go in the valleys to reduce swirls.

So to answer your question if you want to get rid of swirls your more than likely going to use a method that will be abrasive and remove a coating. You can cover them with a glaze or filler product that has sealing properties, that will protect your sealant some.

No abrasives means no polishing, if you can't polish it then I think your stuck with the scratches. If you had the protection sprayed on there why would you wax it? If you use anything with fillers then your scratches will more then likely show up after the first washing.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
killerwill13 said:
With a proper swirl remover it will have abrasives in it as a way to take down the clear coat ridges that are the swirls. Now there are "swirl removers" That aren't really swirl removers like glazes and such and they have filling properties that go in the valleys to reduce swirls.

So to answer your question if you want to get rid of swirls your more than likely going to use a method that will be abrasive and remove a coating. You can cover them with a glaze or filler product that has sealing properties, that will protect your sealant some.
totally agree.

cosm3os said:
Eh, the ekoguard was probably just a spray on wax job one of the techs did at the local coin lot!
I bet it was. the stuff the dealer sells is garbage IMO.

if you want to really seal it for about 18-24 months use 22ple or chemical guys second skin. you can wax over them. another great option that I like is Zaino. if you put enough layers of that it will mask some minor swirls. lol

TMO Supporting Vendors