The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Are you an MCA member?

Are you a Mustang Club of America member?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Maybe I'm looking for synergies where it simply doesn't make sense, or with a group who doesn't really care to be associated with our forum or the subject matter of this site. I'll still take a shot at it but won't exert too much energy on it. Figured even if we just linked to each other in some way, that could be useful. Somehow I doubt they'll be interested in that. I get the feeling there's a sense that we would be getting all the benefit from cross-linking, even if we probably wouldn't get very many people coming over from their group to participate here. We'll see what they say.

Bugs

Jim. Avocation: Avoiding Blunt-Force Trauma.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
Our local Boise Mustang/Ford Club is a regional MCA club. After being politely pestered for years by our local MCA rep, I finally joined in 2018.

I had thought of the MCA as being only for the show crowd - of which I shared little interest. It’s true that MCA does take show judging seriously, but after all, they are the keeper of the flame, so ya gotta' expect that.

MCA seems to attempt to include all aspects of Mustang ownership and welcome all comers. The downside is that they are trying to be the jack of all trades and - well - you know how the rest of that goes. Our local Mustang club has a wide range of interests such as the buy-it-and-drive-it types, the concours show preeners and even a few semi-serious track rats – a group to which I aspire.

This month edition of the “MCA Times” magazine has articles covering:
  • Shelby American’s “Blue Hornet” widebody Mustang
  • A husband and wife with lightly-modified ’65 and ’70 Fastbacks
  • An interview with Art Hyde – Ford Mustang Chief Engineer ’98-’02. (The SN95 “re-style”)
  • A major Restomod: a ’13 Mustang GT encased in a ’69 SportsRoof body.
  • Intro to the new Tremec TKX 5-speed transmission as an option for ’65 – ’04 Mustangs
  • Several “My Mustang “ stories of owner’s cars – none of which are primarily show cars
  • Note that none of the stories covered trailer-queen type show cars that I’d expected to find before I joined.
I am surprised that you found such a firm push-back from the MCA rep that you talked with. That doesn't seem very "inclusive". Was your conversation with only one MCA person or did more MCA folks seem to share this bias? I haven’t seen that kind of resistance among the MCA diehards in my group. I’d say it’s more like they’re simply indifferent.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
When I was a much younger and attractive man, I played a role in a club with several hundred members where the average age was mid 20s-early 30s. I guess we were more like a drinking team with an occasional Mustang problem, but it was great, and so somewhat more of a social club that'd have weekly hangouts, weekend trips to somebody's house to install stuff, dyno days, and cruises. The average MCA member out here is probably around 50, give or take 5-10 years, and somewhat of the same idea, more about the cruise and that's about it as far as I can tell. When I had my street legal 2019GT, I tried to attend a few which was somewhat out of my way, but yeah, they're about showing and going. Don't know why they're so anti-track, of the 20-30 that I know of, I only know of 1 who shows up to track days occasionally, and another who AutoX's, but I guess if you're all about the show n' go, why would you risk getting your car dirtied with brake dust, rubber, and a potential incident? Since I no longer have a street legal Mustang (THANKS OBAMA), I'd also feel weird showing up to cruise along with my road-going choices of an EV, ex-Cop Truck, or BMW 'vert.

I appreciate your efforts and what you're trying to do with the place, and I'm not honestly trying to paint a negative picture on the MCA in the slightest, and while I can only really speak for myself and my own experiences, I don't think I'm their cup of tea, and I guess likewise, they're not mine.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
The few times I "cruised" with these groups, it felt more hazardous than being on track. There were police cruisers every step of the way looking for idiots and reasons to pull people over. Frankly, I feel safer on the track, less likely to be harassed by law enforcement, and less likely to encounter someone trying to put their car over a curb into a crowd, so some of the aims of these clubs strikes me as counterintuitive.

Cruising down the highway pulling stunts and waiting to get pulled over = a-ok.
Legally driving fast, free from harassment by smokies, and having your every move monitored for unsafe behavior = crossing the line?

Does not compute.

Anyways, I don't think the intent of the thread was to turn this into a car show bashing festival, so I agree with this statement:
I get the feeling there's a sense that we would be getting all the benefit from cross-linking, even if we probably wouldn't get very many people coming over from their group to participate here.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I am surprised that you found such a firm push-back from the MCA rep that you talked with. That doesn't seem very "inclusive". Was your conversation with only one MCA person or did more MCA folks seem to share this bias? I haven’t seen that kind of resistance among the MCA diehards in my group. I’d say it’s more like they’re simply indifferent.
This was the main marketing contact - who happens to also be a past president of national. I was under the impression he was the main decision maker on stuff like this for national. Not sure if others share his views or not, but if he's the main decision maker I'm not sure it matters. I was a little surprised by the response/reception I was getting as well. Maybe I just didn't communicate things well, I don't know.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The Roundup in Hasting each year has a car show associated with it. One of our members shows his car and does very well. It's rumored one of our members "Reminds" those present we have one of our own showing his 2013 Boss and to vote for his car is you see fit to do so.. Can't remember who....(Bill).
I always go through the show field to see the cars. After all, you have not lived the Mustang life until you see and 1979 Mustang Indy Pacecar. There is one there every year along with a survivor BOSS 429 and other great Mustangs.

I enjoy driving, working on and see the cars others enjoy......even drift cars. 🤭

A little synergy would be a great thing in my opinion. We may even be able to sway them folks at the MCA to try out the track life. Just sayin.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Anyways, I don't think the intent of the thread was to turn this into a car show bashing festival
Definitely not the intent. I think we all understand the different interests out there. And even with some of the ribbing mixed in these replies have given me some good insights and feedback. Thanks everyone for chiming in with your thoughts. As I said, I'll still try and pursue it, but if it doesn't result in anything, oh well.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
The Roundup in Hasting each year has a car show associated with it.
I mentioned the Roundup on the call too. I was told that that's a big Ford event - it's not really "our" event. I paused for a second, and ended up explaining that our members piggyback on that event as the venue for the TMO annual gathering, not that I was trying to take credit for the event, or that TMO was responsible for its success or anything like that. I honestly don't think I framed it that way when I brought it up either but it made it more obvious to me that the vision I had before the call just wasn't shared by the person on the other end, which was unfortunate.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Are you sure you didn't call the PCA by mistake? :D

Some people just can't see how "cross-pollination" of user groups can benefit their organization. They think that by keeping information away from their members, they can keep people in their group even though those people have interests that differ from those promoted by the group. If you build the fence so high your members can't see over it, they can't figure out that the grass is greener on the other side. The fact that there are people on the other side of the fence that might want to join their group is lost on them.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I read through your original post in the string again. It reminded me of the "Corvette Crowd" I used to hang around with. The "OMG you do realize your valve stem caps are not correct, don't you" crowd. Husband and wife walking around their Corvette in matching Corvette jackets likely have just picking up their car from the detailers shop. I didn't mind their attention to details as much as I minded them criticizing my lack of the same.
We still have the 1969 Corvette my wife and I bought in 1986. Never bought the matching jackets. I love the car.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
The "OMG you do realize your valve stem caps are not correct, don't you" crowd.
😆 that's hilarious - wow, made me laugh out loud. Wouldn't you know it, there was actually one point on the call where I was educated like that. I was told "you do know that NASA is a racing organization - you do know that don't you?" Explaining my past experience running with NASA didn't change the conversation much.

Thanks for that one Tracy! Made me smile.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I was told "you do know that NASA is a racing organization - you do know that don't you?" Explaining my past experience running with NASA didn't change the conversation much.

Just a little devil's advocate here; it's hard enough trying to get people who actually enjoy HPDE to understand that it's not racing.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Just a little devil's advocate here; it's hard enough trying to get people who actually enjoy HPDE to understand that it's not racing.
Oh believe me, I know what you mean. I remember we always had to start off (and sometimes end) the driver meetings explaining that - especially towards the end of the day. Some people get out there and think they're racing the car ahead of them. It wasn't a huge problem but you knew you had to remind people. I even alluded to that in my discussion.

"Are you sure you didn't call the PCA by mistake? :D"

Dood, that comment was priceless!!

For whatever reason, there's little or no cross pollenization between the show car guys and the race car guys. I've seen this before with FAST Autocross, it started out as the Sunriders Miata club, but they woke up one day and discovered 80% of their autocross entries were other vehicles, it spun off to NASA then an independent auto X group. The main club kind of went their way, the auto X guys did the same. For some reason they just don't work together for about 95% of the time, even if it seems to be mutually beneficial.
Not really sure why, it seems like the competition oriented folks are far more inclusive, this happened in ISCA car show circuit as well. This is why they divided their cars up between customs and actual competition vehicles for scoring.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
"Are you sure you didn't call the PCA by mistake? :D"

Dood, that comment was priceless!!

For whatever reason, there's little or no cross pollenization between the show car guys and the race car guys. I've seen this before with FAST Autocross, it started out as the Sunriders Miata club, but they woke up one day and discovered 80% of their autocross entries were other vehicles, it spun off to NASA then an independent auto X group. The main club kind of went their way, the auto X guys did the same. For some reason they just don't work together for about 95% of the time, even if it seems to be mutually beneficial.
Not really sure why, it seems like the competition oriented folks are far more inclusive, this happened in ISCA car show circuit as well. This is why they divided their cars up between customs and actual competition vehicles for scoring.
Blacksheep-1 hit it square in the head for me. The racing crowd is just so much more friendly than any other group I can think of. Can't think of a single time I ever asked someone for a ride along or advice that I was turned down. I've made some good friends there and it all started by going over and asking them about their car.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Same thing with autocross - if you want to know something, just ask -- anyone. For me, I want to continue the sport in general, but I also want to nurture other drivers to be more competitive so that they provide a challenge for everyone else to step up their game as well. If I can get another driver to push me, it helps me be a better driver, too. Plus it feels good to see a student have that "aha" moment when they "get" something you taught them that helps them turn in a faster time.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
That does appear awfully closed minded. i'm registered for the Road Atlanta event. For a bunch who don't like HPDE, they have a bunch of cars for that weekend. I'm good with the show car crowd. Do love my local Cars and Coffee. Lets hope you can find someone with half a mind to talk to

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Blacksheep-1 hit it square in the head for me. The racing crowd is just so much more friendly than any other group I can think of. Can't think of a single time I ever asked someone for a ride along or advice that I was turned down. I've made some good friends there and it all started by going over and asking them about their car.

I think thats because racing makes you humble. You don't jump in at the top. Its takes a lot of time and effort. You don't mind helping out someone else because someone somewhere helped you too.

The show car and stance guys are all about image. Its just not the same. Personally, I'd rather hang with the stance crowd. At least most of them actually build their own cars. Few show car guys do any real work on theirs.

This is me and my daughter a couple weekends ago at an ice autox. They officially welcomed her at the drivers meeting as being only 16 and a first timer. It made her feel really good and much less itimidated.ice.jpg

Last edited:
LudaChris, you can lead a horse to water.... forget 'em.

I think the track crowd is more inclusive because most everyone is into fun cars generally, as opposed to just Mustangs. The bond is the sport not the brand as much. A few years ago I tagged along to a track day with a buddy, interested in getting into it, and noticed all the Mustangs running well. I was more interested in track driving than Mustangs at the time, and the Mustang just seemed like a good, solid car to learn on and way less stressful than scratching a new M3. I've since become a Mustang nut.

I also think you are pushing against the tide a bit because a lot of people equate Mustang "track driving" with the 5 gazillion view Mustang Fail youtube videos and memes. Even at track days I sometimes feel like I have to be extra courteous and overly conservative just to prove I'm not "that" Mustang driver. Well, for a few laps anyway. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel