The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Are you an MCA member?

Are you a Mustang Club of America member?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Funny thing is, I've been to several MCA car shows in the day and to be honest, I've won many gold awards with the MCA with my track prepped Boss, so I'm not sure that I was treated differently than the garage queens. As a matter of fact, there are but a few track ready cars at these shows and in my experience, the roll bars and six point harness draws a crowd everytyme. It's been a few years since I've shown my Boss but will say that I've never been treated as an outsider. Even the other AutoX guys will show their cars the day after driving them hard and don't see them being discounted by the minions. Perhaps those higher up the ladder in the MCA see differently.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I like the comments of Tymeslayer, TMS and Dave_ W to name a few, but then I have an optimistic view that someone who is in a Car Club is a likely candidate to see their is more they can do with their Mustang than just cruises and car shows. In fact, belonging to the local Omaha Club, there have been members who have come out to Autocrosses and some track events because they were invited to see how well Mustangs do on track. An Autocross is often a great door opener as these folks see it as safer and many have misconceptions on what tracking their car can mean. Cars and Coffee, Clubs, Car shows, often are just door openers and like many have suggested I just like Gearheads, but I also feel being an Ambassador for track events whether Autocross, Road Racing , or yes, Drags, is a way to give many another level of camaraderie. Funny, but some of the folks I see at the track or autocross were past customers who I suggested join a Club to get to know others and to see what their specific focus is. Just like Corvette Clubs , Porsche Clubs, etc. some are focused on cruising, some are focused on Car Shows, and yes some are focused on tracking events. But, that said, if you join your local Club and you find two or three folks you can introduce to the track/autocross, you just found more friends to play with. There are some folks on here who have been Autocrossing for decades , but never really went to a road course and bugging them a bit they are now doing HPDEs , Time Trials , etc. and who knows where that may lead. We need to be the positive ones and we need to also be understanding as the majority of folks are intimidated about tracking their Mustangs, because they are either afraid of the risks or they are unaware of the way events are policed. Please, ask yourself , the first time you went on a road course if you weren't a bit spooked , concerned , nervous, etc. , because I know I was . Heck, many are just concerned they might embarrass themselves or they will be , in their minds, too slow. We truly are the Ambassadors , so just blow off the naysayers, be the positive one and explain how much fun you are having. We all know how addictive it can be , but we have to help others see something they often do not understand or have completely misguided notions.

I know there are folks who can't see what we do, but then there are those of us who can't envision just cruising ( for instance ), but as TMS posted he likes all those folks. I would have probably, in a surprised manner, commented to the MCA Rep. that I was absolutely shocked they were not reaching out more to TrackRats , stating I guess they were unaware it is the fastest growing area of automotive enthusiasts in the US ( true, look at all the new tracks being built, the Track Event Coordinators , the Track Club systems, etc. ). I would have ended with a statement something like, " Gee, being a Mustang owner I just figured your group which is so large and well respected would want to get in on this growing trend ? "

Frankly, we all know it is his loss, but on the other hand I have always felt we as Track Addicts have to introduce others to our somewhat misunderstood sport.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
This was the first I heard of MCA.

But thinking about how to engage with other groups...I wonder if connecting with other non-Mustang-centric groups would be of benefit. The personal example I've got is from the last HPDE event I did with the Porsche Club of America. Obviously, most of them had Porsches. My driving instructor was top-notch...this guy was aces, by far the best I've been paired with. He does about 50 days a year, races in the Cup series, etc. And he was a Porsche guy to the bone. But after the weekend, he started asking me a lot of questions about my car, and was very impressed with what a Mustang could do on track. He was pleasantly surprised and said that he had a friend who had a Mustang and was considering HPDE but didn't think he could do it well. He was going to tell him that by all means he should consider HPDE with it. So there's a new TMO candidate.

So maybe connect with all the track event organizers where they could have a "Have a Mustang?" link on their sites which points to TMO. TMO could do the same ("Have a Prius?"...hahaha). Local car clubs, e.g. in my neck of the woods Tarheel Sports Car Club (www.thscc.com). It looks like most of the folks on TMO are doing NASA, SCCA, and Chin, but there are probably others willing to build their presence and work with TMO. Track Club USA http://www.trackclubusa.com/ is Mustang-centric and probably trying to build recognition. They are pretty much one and the same with the SVT Cobra Club: https://www.svtcobraclub.com/mainpage.html. They might have members on TMO already. I haven't run with them yet but I met the organizers at their VIR track day when I took my son to the kart track there. They seem like good guys and have reasonable track rates. There must be a bunch of other ones like that around the country. For Mustang-centric clubs, would it be possible to get a link to TMO included on their tech inspection forms? Maybe we draft a singular comprehensive "so you want to track your Mustang" primer on this site that partners can link to? I'm sure that with the extensive expertise on this site, we could get enough input that could be edited together by one of us into a valuable reference for novices.

Are any of TMO's vendor sponsors pointing their customers here to see how real-world track enthusiasts / racers are using the products (and to get inspiration)? For example... Apex Race Parts...I learned about them from y'all on TMO when I was an even bigger noob than I am now. They could have a link to the "TMO Apex showroom gallery thread" in their Mustang fitment guide page to "see Apex wheels in action". Is there a way to add, next to the "like" buttons at the bottom of each post, a link to the vendor whose thread the post is featured in? Would be a way to direct more traffic to the vendor, and incent them to want to point people to TMO.

And we probably all need to have TMO stickers slapped everywhere. If there were small, inexpensive stickers that we could each take a few to the track with us we could hand them out to people who either have or are interested in Mustangs. (I ordered a pair of bumper stickers 5 minutes ago to put on the truck.)

But I wouldn't get too wrapped up because the MCA thing didn't jive immediately. If they are a group of purists, then they're the wrong target audience. When I go to car gatherings I see a lot of things that I personally think are ridiculous. But...it's their car, they did what they like...I'm not gonna judge. I'm happy that they are car people and are happy. A lot of people think Grabber Blue is ugly as sin (my wife included). That's ok. I bought it because I wanted something just a little different.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
So maybe connect with all the track event organizers where they could have a "Have a Mustang?" link on their sites which points to TMO. TMO could do the same ("Have a Prius?"...hahaha). Local car clubs, e.g. in my neck of the woods Tarheel Sports Car Club (www.thscc.com). It looks like most of the folks on TMO are doing NASA, SCCA, and Chin, but there are probably others willing to build their presence and work with TMO.
I've been talking with NASA for a while about ways we can partner up, nothing to report on that yet, but you make a good point about reaching out to other event organization groups. I just sent SCCA an email - might be a little unrealistic to think I'd be able to get them interested, but what the hell. I'll start looking in that direction. Thanks JP

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
So maybe connect with all the track event organizers where they could have a "Have a Mustang?" link on their sites which points to TMO.

That’s a great point - in the last 2 years I’ve attended track days with NASA, SCCA, Speed Ventures, Speed District, Xtreme Speed and OnGrid. At every single event there are Mustangs participating that aren’t active here. I guess some are on the Facebook group, but very few make it on here. I would guess most organizers would be looking for sponsorship $’s to promote the site. And in some areas, it may make a lot of sense to sponsor certain events, ie the Super GT Cup that has 7 events across California, specifically for domestic muscle cars.

My favorite question about the TMO sticker on my car - “Is that a place where you can rent track Mustangs?”🤣

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I often put my business card on the windshields of Mustang owners at the track and write the TMO website on the back and I tell folks they could call me for information. Ludachris could have a TMO business card made up with the website listed on the front and leave the back blank. On the front a line could be draw for folks to put their moniker for TMO down or their name. Leaving the back blank gives each member the ability to put down what he/she wants --- phone number to call or text, email , name , etc. , whatever they are comfortable with.

Now, this could not be done for free to everyone who wants the cards , Ludachris would have to set a cost to send these to each of us , not just so it was a losing effort for him , but also to help with handling costs ( that is mainly time ). Having done this myself , in the past, it is an easy way to introduce the Club , it works at about a 25% level and it is not costly.

We can all wander up to folks at events and tell them about TMO , but in my experience over the years, something in hand often jogs one's memory later to check something out. Folks will say they can look up the site, but then they forget the full name , etc., so a card with the website is a solid way to get us in front of many Mustang owners -----that and wearing a TMO T shirt , ha.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I often put my business card on the windshields of Mustang owners at the track and write the TMO website on the back and I tell folks they could call me for information. Ludachris could have a TMO business card made up with the website listed on the front and leave the back blank. On the front a line could be draw for folks to put their moniker for TMO down or their name. Leaving the back blank gives each member the ability to put down what he/she wants --- phone number to call or text, email , name , etc. , whatever they are comfortable with.

Now, this could not be done for free to everyone who wants the cards , Ludachris would have to set a cost to send these to each of us , not just so it was a losing effort for him , but also to help with handling costs ( that is mainly time ). Having done this myself , in the past, it is an easy way to introduce the Club , it works at about a 25% level and it is not costly.

We can all still wander up to folks at events and tell them about TMO , but in my experience over the years, something in hand often jogs one's memory later to check something out.

I really like the business card idea Bill - time proven, and nothing more “sticky” for someone to reference back to at a later point. Combine this idea with the individual build thread QR code, and I think you have a winner. I would gladly pay for a brick of TMO business cards with my QR code printed on them as a very quick, simple way of engaging a prospective member, or when someone asks what mods I’ve done to my car. In the haste of most track days, conversations get rushed and people are not likely to remember small details by the time they’re home and unwinding.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I'd heard of MCA before, but never knew much about it beyond it apparently being a marque club. So I did a little research . . .

Had a conversation with the head of marketing/past president of the Mustang Club of America (MCA) yesterday.
I think that says a lot about the inertia of large organizations, and that once you get to a national position you've probably aligned yourself pretty tightly with the organization's already-established goals. I wonder if it would be worth trying a little further down the organizational ladder.

Like I said, I really didn't know much about MCA until the last couple of days, so I went looking on their site, specifically at the 'Benefits of Membership' and 'Bylaws' links. And while I do see considerable mention of car shows and judging, I'm not even seeing drag racing get specific mention (which did surprise me a little).

I have a feeling that those two sections effectively filter out those who are more about driving their cars than showing them, or who are at least willing to get involved in both the 'show' and 'go' sides of the car hobby. If I had been looking at MCA as an individual looking to join a national Mustang club rather than as a member of a forum oriented to driving Mustangs looking to see if a tie-in would make sense . . . as a driver and DIY'er who sometimes colors outside the lines rather than a numbers-matching, show-n-shine kind of guy I don't see much there that would encourage me to join. Maybe there's something in their forum that could change that, but as a non-member I can't get there to find out if I want to be able to get there.

I suppose it's possible MCA doesn't want to get too involved in driving type events because of event insurance matters.

Norm

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Norm is quite correct in the last note, MCA has to be careful because by listing events , etc. they are tacitly endorsed a track event and they can have liability. Working at two tracks extensively over the past 20 years, groups who came out had to have their own track insurance to participate and with larger National Club Organizations they have to be pretty cautious. We ran into various problems with different Clubs and a good example would be to refer to BMW Club events , where you must join their organization if you want to go to one of their events. Just an example, but I do feel Norm hit on a major concern, yet it does not stop any of us joining this Club or others to invite folks out to track/autocross events.

They may not be the best Club for TMO to approach, but it is another good place for TMO members to participate in , as the easiest place to get folks to come out and race ( the word that stimulates conversation ) because they are already Motorheads.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Well I've been a MCA member for a long time as old 1st generation Mustangs is what I was brought up on and track days back then meant trips to Englishtown, Atco and Maple Grove for some Friday night grudge quarter mile runs. They still have a good magazine for the relaxing aspect of the cars. They also have their 45th Anniversary Event at Road Atlanta coming up April 2-3 which I am attending. They aren't really track oriented but Brian Shafernek is their track guru and is a pretty well known racer down Texas/Oklahoma way. It will be fun to look at all the history at the car show in between sessions.
Steve

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Well I've been a MCA member for a long time as old 1st generation Mustangs is what I was brought up on and track days back then meant trips to Englishtown, Atco and Maple Grove for some Friday night grudge quarter mile runs. They still have a good magazine for the relaxing aspect of the cars. They also have their 45th Anniversary Event at Road Atlanta coming up April 2-3 which I am attending. They aren't really track oriented but Brian Shafernek is their track guru and is a pretty well known racer down Texas/Oklahoma way. It will be fun to look at all the history at the car show in between sessions.
Steve
What group are you running in? I'll have to look for the Wood Bros machine when I'm there in advanced

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
They aren't really track oriented but Brian Shafernek is their track guru and is a pretty well known racer down Texas/Oklahoma way.
Sounds like we might want to get Brian involved.

I have to ask - is MCA partnering with another entity for Road Atlanta? If so, maybe that's another approach worth looking into.

Norm

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I heard it from a little MCA birdie that their group is trying to grow and that they realize there is a great void in membership from the likes of TMO like groups. Not that they'll evolve but rather they recon they can catch more fish in a bigger pond.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cumming, Georgia
I had a completely different experience with MCA...

I joined it shortly after getting my 2000 GT "Goldie" (As @Bill Pemberton calls it :) ) to attend their Annual Mustang Stampede which was held at Barber Motorsports park near Birmingham Alabama. Of course my real reason was that they had open track both Saturday and Sunday and I wanted to run at Barber. They also had a street party with band on Saturday night. We ran a Mustang convoy from Barber to the party area with over 100 Mustangs / appeared on the evening news and all. I had a fantastic time all weekend both on track and at the party. I went there all by myself and had no trouble making new friends hanging out in the paddock between sessions and at the party. The folks were from all over the US and Canada and very friendly / welcoming. Not snobbish at all even if my then 5 year old New Edge GT was far from being a classic. I gained a new friend whom later ran with me at NASA. He had a Bullitt at the time then later got a Fox body and ran it in American Iron

Fast forward a few years I was a NASA member and one of my best NASA track buddy was president of the Carolinas chapter of MCA. They had several track events at CMP (Carolina Motorsports Park) every year and I instructed for them in exchange for free track time at many occasions. Again, we had a ball and I made some lasting friends. Two of my students joined NASA and eventually became American Iron racers...

I guess it depends who you talk to / what region you're in.

Check out the track video.. The car was bone stock with the only improvements being track suitable brake pads, a racier alignment, and set of Falken Azenis... I had fun chasing my new buddies in a 97 Cobra and the Bullitt.. Here's the link: MCA Stampede Barber Motorsports Park

There are more videos of it including the party on my Youtube Channel. Excuse the grainy footage, my camera was a bit primitive at the time. Link to my Channel with a bunch of old videos... TorqueAholic Youtube Channel

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I get the Monthly Mustang Tymes and there's a guy that writes a column about racing, I think his name is Charlie Jones and it's mostly basic stuff but educational just the same, depending on your skill level.
His name is indeed Charlie Jones and he writes the "Roadracer's Corner." It's sequentially titled by "Lap" with this month up to Lap 156.

I will PM a few articles I previously scanned to PDF files to @Ludachris

Most have covered what MCA is usually involved in. But one area that hasn't been mentioned is a focus on restoration. Many of the ads in their magazine are for restoration parts & services.

Speaking of ads, I have no idea of how much an ad would cost but if funds are available, perhaps a small ad on a page near the "Roadracer's Corner" could drive additional traffic to the site and perhaps some new members.

The magazine says:

"Please send stories, classified or display ad submissions for Mustang Times, or requests for advertising rates to:
Mustang Times Editorial Office
Pate Media Group
2806 Drane Field Road
Lakeland, FL 33811
Telephone 863-701-2575

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Another idea...what about writing a monthly “track tip of the month, c/o TMO” and ask organizations to feature it in their social media feeds? Maybe 200-300 words per article. They could range from basics like “I didn’t know I could drive on a real track...how would that work?”, to safety fundamentals, basic track-ish tech, etc. We could write 12, one for each month, and recycle the topics each year but update them to be relevant. Less expensive than print ads, which are crazy money per person. And when you think about it, you need to be online savvy to track. That’s how all of the scheduling, sign-up, etc gets done. Social media wouldn’t be ineffective with the target audience.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Just noticed this in the "Market Place" section of Mustang Times:

IMG_20210311_002305985.jpg

There are currently a few ads under the "Miscellaneous" category for appraisal services, window sticker reproductions, jackets, and Mustang Sales Brochures.

If we have 6 MCA members, we can run an ad for a year. I'm willing to sponsor an ad for 2 months.

Granted, these are not the most eye-catching ads since they have no graphics and most readers may flip/scroll right past them. You get what you pay for but it's better than nothing.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel