The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Are you an MCA member?

Are you a Mustang Club of America member?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
I was an MCA member in the 90's. I had a '66 GT soft top with a pony interior (original window sticker for proof if you know the punch card debacle). IMHO, the MCA can not put all of it's eggs into the classic car basket, and they are starting to realize it. I am a current MCA member and attended the event in Atlanta this year. The event was not as polished as some I have attended, but it was a good time had by most. A Ford "higher up" had the rear differential in his GT350 overheat and spew oil all over the track. He was not a gearhead, so we dug in and found the factory had not removed a plug in the dif. That was awkward. Ford covered the tow and the track cleanup cost.

Aligning with the MCA will give us a much larger voice when it comes to things like the RPM act, and other legal issues involving our hobby. I think that may be best accomplished by supporting their events, reaching out to the MCA event organizers, and offering any assistance we can. The HPDE thing is pretty new to them, so I would think they would appreciate any help they can get.

I attend Cars and Coffee from time to time and ask folks if their cars are fast. I almost always get a "yes", so I ask them how they know. An invitation to the next autocross follows. Autocross is a great recruiting tool because I can have someone in the right seat and not have to be an instructor. I use the same angle on autocrossers to get them to road courses. It's all about helping people enjoy their cars.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Wonder what it would take to become a "sponsor":

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Bay Area, CA
I know this post of mine will include some large generalizations so apologies in advance but I have experienced four types of Mustang owners.
1. Garage queens - this group thinks their car deserves to be in museums and will freak when dust touches it. (MCA)
2. Stance bros - only concerned with appearance and going to local car shows...this group is likely the one that gave Mustangs the reputation for crowd killers.
3. Rental car - honestly, the Mustang platform is cheap. People buy it cause they think it's cool but really aren't car enthusiasts.
4. Track people - may or may not be a Mustang enthusiasts but are all definitely fans of going fast.

In my opinion, MCA members have entirely different goals than we do and I do not see any beneficial gain in partnering with them. I actually started my Mustang forum endeavor on Mustang6G and I quickly noticed that site was not for me. Far too much misinformation and far too many people who prioritize Cars and Coffee social points over improving lap times...MCA is the same thing.
You're exactly right on this one.
I grew up around a 68' GT350 and joined the Shelby club when i was getting it up on the road. To keep a rant short - The shelby club felt useless to me. Same goes for VMOA. The mustang is an insanely popular car and as such you have local clubs, statewide clubs and national clubs. You have clubs for mustangs, clubs for shelbys, clubs for cobras, etc. From my experience, most of these clubs (non mustang ones too) are more focused on their paid entry car shows, cruises and dinners.

Having purchased a late model mustang and decided to track it - I've received more advise, information, etc. from this forum and it's members, both in person and online than any other group anywhere.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Having purchased a late model mustang and decided to track it - I've received more advise, information, etc. from this forum and it's members, both in person and online than any other group anywhere.
The goal is/was to get the MCA to give TMO a little bit of visibility, to let their members know that they can come over here and learn more about tracking their cars if they're interested in pursuing that path. We realize that the MCA isn't a track club, nor do they emphasize racing, even though they do host some track events on occasion. I feel like it would be a perfect fit for them to link to us to give their members who DO want to learn a little more about tracking their car a great place to meet others who have a lot of experience. It's not as if by doing so they'd be endorsing racing or endorsing any non-MCA events. They'd just be linking to a community that focuses heavily on HPDE, open track days, autocross, etc. It's a different type of atmosphere here, which makes us a great community for them to link to. We probably compliment what they're doing better than most other groups out there.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
There is some commonality between us and the MCA, albeit somewhat thin. Still, I think it's worth pursuing. After all, we all love our Mustangs whether at a track or a show. I've talked to a few guys in my MCA club and pointed them here but to be honest, I think they may feel somewhat intimidated. I go out of my way to assure them that we all just put our pants on one leg at a tyme, just like them. Trust me when I say that there's a lot here that's way over my head but it does make for informative reading and I've found over the years, the folks here are pretty decent. Starting a conversation with Charlie Jones at Mustang Times is a good first step.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
There is some commonality between us and the MCA, albeit somewhat thin. Still, I think it's worth pursuing. After all, we all love our Mustangs whether at a track or a show. I've talked to a few guys in my MCA club and pointed them here but to be honest, I think they may feel somewhat intimidated. I go out of my way to assure them that we all just put our pants on one leg at a tyme, just like them. Trust me when I say that there's a lot here that's way over my head but it does make for informative reading and I've found over the years, the folks here are pretty decent. Starting a conversation with Charlie Jones at Mustang Times is a good first step.
I agree. There won't be a huge contingent in the MCA that will be tracking their cars and some might be a little intimidated to participate here, but the ones who do want to start going to the track more will certainly appreciate finding out about TMO and gradually weaving themselves into this community.

There is a lot that gets discussed here that is way over my head too, some of it I likely will never fully absorb. But that doesn't matter. We're all on different journeys at different stages, the common thread here is that we're passionate about taking our cars to locations (tracks and parking lots with cones) where we can safely (or, as safely as possible) learn the limits of the car and our own abilities, improve as drivers, and fully enjoy that experience. This is a community full of people who share that same passion with varying levels of experience. Building relationships here - that's gold. The information is just an added bonus.

I'll be sending Charlie at the Mustang Tymes a note, and I'll also let him know they spelled the name of their publication wrong. :)

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I agree. There won't be a huge contingent in the MCA that will be tracking their cars and some might be a little intimidated to participate here, but the ones who do want to start going to the track more will certainly appreciate finding out about TMO and gradually weaving themselves into this community.

There is a lot that gets discussed here that is way over my head too, some of it I likely will never fully absorb. But that doesn't matter. We're all on different journeys at different stages, the common thread here is that we're passionate about taking our cars to locations (tracks and parking lots with cones) where we can safely (or, as safely as possible) learn the limits of the car and our own abilities, improve as drivers, and fully enjoy that experience. This is a community full of people who share that same passion with varying levels of experience. Building relationships here - that's gold. The information is just an added bonus.

I'll be sending Charlie at the Mustang Tymes a note, and I'll also let him know they spelled the name of their publication wrong. :)
Yeah, in my world Spellcheck has it Tymes!

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Email sent off to Charlie, inviting him to come check out our lovely forum... hopefully we haven't said anything in this thread that would turn him off if he were to read through it.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Bay Area, CA
The goal is/was to get the MCA to give TMO a little bit of visibility, to let their members know that they can come over here and learn more about tracking their cars if they're interested in pursuing that path.
That would be great! One thing I can say about TMO is I didn't realize just how much knowledge and such there is here until I met one of the members - @byronj in person and came to learn how rich TMO is with resources, knowledge, etc. My feelings aside - I admire what you're trying to do and think it's a great idea! If you asked TMO members to join MCA, I definitely would!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
this may be a bridge too far. Getting them on track could be an easier first step. Lol

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Should be a great relationship.

I always like the track events at VIR where the was both track events and show events running at the same time. I would visit the show field during lunch and vote the the Stangs in liked the best. Great way to enjoy both aspects of the sport.

Dual purpose events could be a great way forward for both groups.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area

861df908-0732-4e7f-9d78-56e5448adbb1.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel