The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Arizona Motorsports Park Dec run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finally made it back to the track this past weekend and had a great outing at Arizona Motorsports Park. Temps were in the low 50’s in the morning, which made for some challenges – more power and less grip. First two sessions where very crowded, so I end up letting lots of folks pass. But on the third and forth session, I did most of the passing as I got into a good groove with lots of open space. Brake pads held up like a champ…I could have gone deeper on many occasions, but my rotors felt like they are warping (vibration). Lap times were very consistent, but I missed my personal best by about 1 sec. Still felt like I drove much better than previous outings.

Made several mods since the last time I was out: Adjust Koni suspension, Adj Eibach sway bars, bump steer kit and several safety upgrades (roll bar, 6-point harness and HANS).

Learned a bunch of new things:
1) Cold temps and cold tires equals trouble - I ended up keeping it on the track, but several folks spun into the dirt in the first two session with temps below 60*F. I started my NT01 at 30PSI (Hot 36) and dropped them another 3PSI to get them dialed in. Dropping a little more air ended that ‘greasy’ rear end feel.
2) Stiffen up the shocks and struts – When from 75/25 (soft) to 50/50. Firming up the ride one more turn made a huge difference in navigating corners and reducing body roll.
3) Keep the RPMS up – I tried to do less shifting and by keeping it near the red line into multiple, back-to-back turns. This resulted in pushing out of the turns much more quickly in 2nd gear.
4) Practice fitting into your gear – I should have practiced getting in and out of my new safety gear more prior to the event. I was a bit clumsy getting into the harness and HANS, adjusting my phone and GoPro, etc. I was getting better by the end of the day, but it took some practice.

Instead of posting my raw lap footage, I decided to do a few snippets of video I captured from my phone (Harry’s Lap Timer) and my GoPro mounted in a few locations, and mix it with a tune (turn down the volume if you don't like Metallica and haven't had 2 cups of coffee :D). I made the video for more entertainment value, since the raw footage gets a little dry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGA_x6ZbVyI

TMO Supporting Vendors