The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AST 4150 installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zquez, Anything new to add on you're AST 4150 install? Have you been able to do any more road or track testing? How do you like the spring rate choices you made?

DD GT3 RD said:
Jim didn't know about the separate rear adjuster available. I have to look into that.
And as Jim said no modifications needed, as I bought the part for 20. I did not install it. My friend did it for me so not much I can tell you about it. He said it was easy and simple.

Please let me know how the set up performs for you. I have the same set up on order and will have it installed before my first event in april at Mid- Ohio. I already have the Cortex Watts link installed and am sure this set will help eliminate the body roll along with the Vorslag camber plates. The remote adjusters for the shocks are $85 a set well worth it for not climbing in and out of the trunk. Thanks, Jim

cp85gt said:
Zquez, Anything new to add on you're AST 4150 install? Have you been able to do any more road or track testing? How do you like the spring rate choices you made?

I haven't gotten the chance to drive the car on the track yet, but on the street they're fantastic. Roll and dive has been noticeably reduced from my BMR springs and tokico d-specs I used to have. The car just seems like it has more grip, and it definitely corners flatter. The ride is a little harsher but thats to be expected. Its not bad for me and mine is my DD. I do however have some additional nvh but I don't know if thats because of the coilovers or the fact that I have all poly and spherical joints on the car now.

Once I get my lack of fuel pressure issue sorted out (if I haven't broken anything already) I'll be heading to the track asap.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Zquez said:
Once I get my lack of fuel pressure issue sorted out (if I haven't broken anything already) I'll be heading to the track asap.

You go to a GT500 OEM dual pump yet? Don't say "Boost A Pump"!

ArizonaGT said:
Awesome. Did you hog out the top of the strut tower at all, or is that maxxed out?

I haven't seen my car yet ;(. My buddy is dropping it off later. Then tomorrow hitting willow springs and streets of willow for a private track day! So pumped

ArizonaGT said:
You go to a GT500 OEM dual pump yet? Don't say "Boost A Pump"!

haha hell nah! ;) I'm running a walbro 405 with upgraded wiring. The pump should theoretically flow as much as the GT500 setup, and it did fine on the dyno and months afterwards. This is the first winter I've driven the car since the blower went on and the denser air is bringing to fruition a fuel issue I've been seeing the tail end of for months. It loses pressure in the high rpms and in wot. I pretty much short shift at 3500 to get around all day to prevent detonation. I've replaced the pump, filter, fpdm, frps, and no luck. Im testing the cops, plugs, and injectors this weekend. I am leaning towards one or more injectors being clogged somehow but idk. If I can't figure anything else out this weekend, I'm ordering the stuff for a return fuel system and I'll be putting it on next week. Maybe I'll create a thread on THAT little project for you Boss guys. :p Needless to say, the last thing I need is a melted piston so my shakedown of these fancy shmancy ASTs will have to wait.

isrboss

DD GT3 RD said:
went with "Race" spring rates which are 550F/250R

The car is at the alignment shop as I write this so I will see how they set it up and let you know
It will be corner weighted

no bump steer kit or longer ball joints...only other mods I have are the hotchkis rear suspension trailing arms, and sway bars

I am trying to decide on spring rates and with all my investigating I came up with a near 120# less stiffness in the rear. This has been said to be pretty neutral with a square setup. How are you guys tuning out the understeer with the front 300# stiffer? I am guessing an adj. rear sway and dampening, but I would like to hear what you guys are doing.

Sweet setup OP.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
isrboss said:
I am trying to decide on spring rates and with all my investigating I came up with a near 120# less stiffness in the rear. This has been said to be pretty neutral with a square setup. How are you guys tuning out the understeer with the front 300# stiffer? I am guessing an adj. rear sway and dampening, but I would like to hear what you guys are doing.

Sweet setup OP.

Care to share your research with us? Would be a good alternate viewpoint.

isrboss

ArizonaGT said:
Care to share your research with us? Would be a good alternate viewpoint.

I have been reading about the H&R RSS's, and that setup runs some pretty stiff springs with only a 113# softer rear. The reviews from a member of another forum(I seen you replied in the thread) and Kenny Brown. I'm not sure what all Kenny Brown had around the RSS, but he seemed to like it out of the box. I don't have much to go on, I was wanting to be educated some, I'm not the teacher in any way.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I'm running 450f / 200 r with AST 4150s. I do have adjustable sway bars and run a square setup. Car is extremely neutral with a hint of over steer available (at least when a certain installer remembers to shorten the rear bump stops :) ). I've also run 175# rears and find that the car tends to push a little (under steer) with just the 25# difference.

I'd be interested in seeing your calculations as well.

JScheier said:
I'm running 450f / 200 r with AST 4150s. I do have adjustable sway bars and run a square setup. Car is extremely neutral with a hint of over steer available (at least when a certain installer remembers to shorten the rear bump stops :) ). I've also run 175# rears and find that the car tends to push a little (under steer) with just the 25# difference.

What sways are you running? I've got the 450/175 and a larger front bar. I haven't been able to hit the track since install, but my goal is to have the car pretty neutral on a square setup as you've noted.

isrboss

JScheier said:

Just repairing my incorrect statement. I said add a larger front sway if it pushes, but this is wrong. I would need to experiment with front camber and maybe more spring rate in the rear or less rate in the front.

How much camber are you running up front? I was going to try to set the spring rates so I could possibly drop the rear sway bar off. Then if it pushes, add a bigger front sway bar. Does that sound doable?

isrboss said:
How much camber are you running up front? I was going to try to set the spring rates so I could possibly drop the rear sway bar off. Then if it pushes, add a bigger front sway bar. Does that sound doable?

This was my plan as well.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
isrboss said:

Very doable. You'll need to experiment with different front and rear spring rates to make it work, but yes, you can do that.

I run ~-4* of camber in the front with just a touch of toe-out.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel