The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AST4150 to Spindle Mounting Clearance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
There is about 0.050" of a gap between the inside of the AST mounting brackets and the spindle. That seems like too much to me. Are they all like this? The bolts will pull it tight but that seems like a lot of unneeded load on the bracket welds plus using up some of the bolt clamp load to deflect the brackets. I'm considering shimming them for a snugger fit. Any thoughts?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I wouldn't worry about 0.050", as long as the housing isn't aluminum. That bracket 'sees' a lot of force anyway. A little pre-load isn't going to matter much, IMO. At least you don't have to pry them apart to get the spindle in!

For anyone not familiar with the measurements being mentioned here....0.050" is 0.0125" away from a 1/16th of an inch. Some may not know but most will. I was a machinist for close to 40 yrs , so I know my "thousandths".

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
0.050" is 0.0125" away from a 1/16th of an inch

I think that you are implying that 0.050" is not a trivial amount. If so, I agree. I think that is too much deflection on a bracket that is only 1" wide (and half of that to the center of the mounting hole).

I already started making a shim out of 18 ga sheet steel (0.048" thick). It may not be necessary but I think it is the right thing to do.

Last edited:

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Thanks. I was not comfortable with that much clearance. Also glad to know that I was on the right track with shimming it snug.

racer47

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Thanks for taking the time to read and reply. I've got shims coming in the mail. When I get them, I'll decide if I like those or mine better. Either way it'll end up being a much better fit and I'll put all that bolt stretch into clamping force and not bracket bending force.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Good observation and decision. The clamping force of the strut flanges to the spindle ears is a critical value. Point loading will lead to failure especially under high loading. Ford had a couple spindle and fastener revisions on the S197 to address this. Good catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel