The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Atanta MotorSports Park Laps in a Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A session at Atlanta MotorSports Park just north of Dawsonville, GA May 24, 2014. The Music City Mustang Club puts on a super event every Memorial Day weekend. Well run and inexpensive, you should plan on it. This track is very technical and a ton of challenging fun.

This was my first time on a road course with my Mistress. The beginning of the video outlines the answers to some of the questions you might have about set up and modifications. Its almost 15 minutes long with captions added in for color commentary. Put in on a big screen and turn up the volume!

Yes, I used the track key. Who wouldn't?

I look forward to your comments and questions.

[/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb4AD7huk1o]

When I first saw this track on video before it opened, it looked very promissing. Now that I'm seeing it at speed, it seems a little too tricked up. Looks like it might be fun as hell in a Miata!

Georgia
cosm3os said:
When I first saw this track on video before it opened, it looked very promissing. Now that I'm seeing it at speed, it seems a little too tricked up. Looks like it might be fun as hell in a Miata!

You are correct! It is not really suited for our cars, but it is fun and awful close to home. I was also there this past weekend with the Music City club... as BBaker stated, great value and (for the most part) well run. The drivers meeting ran a little long on Saturday (too many stories! LOL).

It was like trying to fend off nats out there with all those pesky Miatas! I think there was only two I could out run and probably because they were basically stock.

AMP is a country club track, designed to keep wealthy members from harming themselves and their powerful, expensive toys. All the corners are designed to unsettle your car, IMO, and there really is no effective passing zone. The track was intentionally not designed for wheel to wheel competition. It has lots of elevation change and is very technical. Kind of like a big autocross course; you're always doing something. Similar to Barber Motorsports Park, but Barber has great flow and can be a lot more fun in a Mustang.

GA
BBaker said:
A session at Atlanta MotorSports Park just north of Dawsonville, GA May 24, 2014. The Music City Mustang Club puts on a super event every Memorial Day weekend. Well run and inexpensive, you should plan on it. This track is very technical and a ton of challenging fun.

This was my first time on a road course with my Mistress. The beginning of the video outlines the answers to some of the questions you might have about set up and modifications. Its almost 15 minutes long with captions added in for color commentary. Put in on a big screen and turn up the volume!

Yes, I used the track key. Who wouldn't?

I look forward to your comments and questions.

I'm glad you tried to be polite. ;) That was me who let you by.
http://vimeo.com/97001241

My worn Conti DW did not inspire much confidence that day. By the afternoon my tires got greasy due to the heat. To make matters worse I was also lazy about checking my tire pressure after each run so it wasn't until mid afternoon that I realized I was driving on greasy basketballs. I skipped a session to cool off and let a bunch of air out and had a decent last session.
http://vimeo.com/97001373

My skill level has progressed to the point where I need to do some upgrades to my suspension and tires. I am tired of holding back as much as I do. I need to get a separate set of wheels for the track.

Hey Guys, thanks for the comments on the video and to PJWannabe for posting my pass. Cool to see it from both perspectives! Sorry we didn’t get a chance to meet PJWannabe.

Having had the pleasure of doing two days at MMP for the Track Attack and day two in a FR500S, AMP reminded me of MMP technically. The elevation changes make for additional interest and certainly challenge the senses. I have not been on VIR or Road Atlanta yet so I have to defer to those that have been on all of these for comparison as to what’s the most fun. I’m not certain why Bluemax thinks AMP is not suited for our cars. 115 on the front stretch is plenty fast and all the corners make for a work-out. But...that is why there are different tracks. I don't know if I could stand too much more fun. School me Bluemax.

After watching all five of my videos, it became apparent I never took the same line twice and need to spend much more time behind the wheel of my Mistress getting to know her better and refining my skills. I think that is was is so fun about this track. It’s very technical and difficult to master.

Post Fun Technical Findings: The Carbotech Pads (XP12 front, XP10 rear) showed minimal wear following the 70 track miles and 500 highway miles to and from the track. The stock rotors show signs of getting hot as well. It was obvious everything was seeing some heat but nothing unexpected. I do have the brake cooling ducts installed. Average gas mileage (not that we care mind you) on the track was 6.8 mpg.
I kept the oil temp gauge displayed (on the cluster) during my five runs. While the temp did increase to the high end of the “green” it never reached the “yellow” area. However, testament to how well these cars are engineered, during the cool down lap, the temp always returned to the normal range for my car. Mid-Green area. Why our friends, the engineers responsible for the Boss program, decided to display the oil temp as an un-calibrated gauge is lost on me. Should we all lobby them with a case or two of malted beverages to develop a software update that would also display the oil temp numerically?

Cleaning her up, I noticed some new road rash from the flying debris on the front bumper and ground effects. Other than the tires being mostly toast, she is none the worse for the wear. Upon returning home, I found the T springs and adjustable P-Bar, I ordered the week prior waiting to be installed. That should help for the next HPDE!

If anyone wants a non-commercial personal perspective on the experience at Miller Motor Sports Park, I wrote a piece that was published in the Gearhead Gazette. You can view / download that issue of the Gearhead Gazette here: Start at page 33. http://issuu.com/gearheadgazzette/docs/vol_12_-_issue___10__gearhead_gazzette/1

Or download the article directly here:http://www.care-alytics.com/uploads/3/4/3/6/3436965/satisfaction_found.pdf

I haven’t seen much mention of a track out west I had some fun on; Spring Mountain Park, Pahrump, Nevada. In late 2009 I competed in the first televised (for the now ill-fated SpeedTV) version of the Optima Batteries Ultimate Street Car Invitational. I wrote a piece about that amazing experience as well. It’s a fun read for those of you that enjoy your track days. The link to the article, Tire Pressure at 140 is here. http://www.care-alytics.com/uploads/3/4/3/6/3436965/optima_challenge_11.09.pdf

Enjoy and keep sharing those track thoughts!

Georgia
BBaker said:
I’m not certain why Bluemax thinks AMP is not suited for our cars. 115 on the front stretch is plenty fast and all the corners make for a work-out. But...that is why there are different tracks. I don't know if I could stand too much more fun. School me Bluemax.

Ha! For starters, let me say that you passed me several times throughout the weekend as well... I just didn't make your video :)

The lighter cars, i.e. Miata's, BMW's, Porsche, etc., tend to have the advantage with the tight, slower turns of this track. Yes, 14-16 we are able to gain ground on them, but that is definitely the fastest portion of the track. No comment on the two Cobra kit cars out there with us...

Watching the video, you are doing a much better job than me with the brakes. I know I gave up a lot of speed not driving in deeper and braking harder ( I am using the same Carbotech set up as you). You were also running lower tire pressures... I need to play with that next time.

As I said before, fun track and close to home...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel