The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Atlanta Motorsports Park

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I ran on the track last June, right after it opened. The track is technical, with a lot of elevation change. Passing zones are limited, and there seems to be only one line around the course.

Back then there were no facilities (port-a-johns and gravel). I understand it is much better now, with real bathrooms and a light flagging system.

The biggest issue may be sound. Dawson County has set strict noise limits, and the track is very subjective about measurement. If you are running a stock exhaust with the restrictor plates still installed, it should not be an issue.

To the OP, I drove AMP, as the guest of a member, a week ago Tuesday. It is a very fun track to drive, very technical. We basically had the track to ourselves, with only a handful of cars on track at the same time all day long. As far as I know they will never have wheel-to-wheel racing on that track. Do you plan to drive it soon? Do you know someone that is a member of the facility?

GA
athens7 said:
I ran on the track last June, right after it opened. The track is technical, with a lot of elevation change. Passing zones are limited, and there seems to be only one line around the course.

Back then there were no facilities (port-a-johns and gravel). I understand it is much better now, with real bathrooms and a light flagging system.

The biggest issue may be sound. Dawson County has set strict noise limits, and the track is very subjective about measurement. If you are running a stock exhaust with the restrictor plates still installed, it should not be an issue.

The last time I was there was May 18 last year and I pretty much have the same comments. The big race groups like SCCA and NASA have canceled their events there because of the noise restrictions, lack of passing zones, and unfinished facilities to handle the volume of participants; I doubt there will be any real racing there unless something changes. I don't know how much more paddock is paved now but there was very little the last time I was there. I have an opportunity to go on April 19, so I can report back after that if I go.

GA
Smilieboy said:
anyone got any events lined up for this?

Hooked on Driving Southeast has a date on Friday, April 19. There is also one on May 24 & 25 with the Mustang City Mustang club.

You can find links on my club web site on High Performance Driving:
http://www.taramustangclub.org/default.aspx?PageId=2

Hi Everyone,

New to this thread but a fellow Mustang guy as I have owned a '67 289 Candy Apple Red Vert and a Red SVT Cobra Vert. Love the Boss 302's as track cars!

I am GM Member Services at Atlanta Motorsports Park. One of our members, a Boss 302 owner, pointed me to this thread so I will be glad to answer questions for you if you like.

For those that are new to our track background, AMP was designed by the top F1 track designer in the world, Hermann Tilke Architects. Every turn, blind corner, on/off camber section camber, was designed to FIA safety specs with the goal to make a very exciting and challenging road course for members, guests, race teams, and inexperienced drivers as well. The radical elevation changes and corners from the Nurburgring and Spa challenge the pro racers that come here to drive. It does take longer to learn, and patience is rewarded. Most DE's, we have a few drivers that come in to tell us "I was not sure this morning that I liked the track, but this afternoon everything started to click. It really has a nice flow to it, and I love your track."

We have many high performance Mustang owners as members, from GT's, GT500's, Super Snakes, and Boss 302's with a healthy dose of 427 Cobras. All enjoy the track and are under the 98dB sound limit. This limit was imposed in our zoning restrictions, so we will continue to comply. Very few guests have issues, and we frequently have DE's with 100+ cars where only 3 or so get pulled. In those cases, we have two performance shops on site that are able to provide and install inserts to bring the car under sound, and get the driver back on track quickly to enjoy their weekend.

I took a pic just this weekend of a Shelby Cobra, I believe a Superformance, with side pipes, driving hard, under sound.

Since opening, we have made constant and consistent building improvements toward reaching our master plan buildout.
- Temporary Member Clubhouse with custom furniture and covered double deck viewing platforms
- Phase 2 (of 5) garage facility complete, 54 units, completely booked, members moved in
- Public restroom/shower facilities, custom tile floors/walls, granite countertops
- Kart track complete, holding races, public karting, and corporate events
- All guardrail planted with Caroline Jasmine, will look very nice in 1-2 years
- Final plans for enlarged skid pad and possible ice hill
- F1 and Lemans style caution lighting system on both car and kart tracks
- Complete CCTV track coverage with (19) 32" monitors in control tower

You will love this, these were filmed a few weeks ago - http://www.fordspecialevent.com/ecoboostchallenge

We are working hard to make this a world class facility that you will enjoy when you visit. If you live close to Georgia, come by and see me. We will put your car on track for a few minutes.

Thanks for letting me share.

Trip Campbell
General Manager, Member Services
Atlanta Motorsports Park

TMO Supporting Vendors