The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Attach license plate to front tow hook?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
OK, I got my tow hooks installed this week.
My state requires a front license plate. Some people run without a front, but sooner or later, I'll find the unfriendly cop.
I've got a Craig bracket, I'm sure it won't clear the hook/bracket.
Any ideas on how to attach the license plate to the tow hook or tow hook bracket?
Thanks

20120523194658.jpg

Pull out the bolt, make a frame that attaches to another bolt. Or just ziptie it, assuming it doesn't flop. You can put some felt feet behind it so it doesn't flop.

A bracket could be made to use the existing center section of the tow hook. Would require welding though. Your Craigs bracket should also work as the bracket will fit with your lower grill installed. Then the Craigs bracket would rub up againt your tow hook, or unbolt the tow hook and let it rub against the center mount.

drano38

Wayne
Thanks guys.
I was looking at the hook and bracket more yesterday. I'd like to make something attach to the hook, but can't come up with anything. I'll talk to the aircraft mechanic at work this week--they are great at coming up with solutions.
If not, I'll remove the hook, and make something to bolt onto the bracket as 06mach1 mentioned. First hack would be a heavy door hinge, match the width of the bracket to bolt it on, and attach it to a piece of wood to hold the license plate for first test run--bolt it to an aluminum plate if its the design I want to go with.
Any other ideas?

TMO Supporting Vendors