The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Attending Instructor clinic for SCCA, what should I expect

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I will be attending WDCR SCCA Instructor clinic/Advanced only PDX event this year as a "new instructor". I was looking for any advise from anyone who instructs as to what if anything I can do to prepare.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Listen well, keep focused on safety at all times. There have been a rash of instructor deaths in the past couple years due to out of control students. Maintain control for their safety and your own.

Talk to the students in clear, concise bursts and focus on only a couple improvement techniques or turns on the track per session.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Listen well, keep focused on safety at all times. There have been a rash of instructor deaths in the past couple years due to out of control students. Maintain control for their safety and your own.

Talk to the students in clear, concise bursts and focus on only a couple improvement techniques or turns on the track per session.
Thanks for the advice. If I become an instructor I will make sure the students car is safe first, after that I will make sure I don't overwhelm whomever I instruct, I remember clearly how overwhelming the first track experience was.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Very sound advice.

At BTA my in car instructor talked constantly to the point where he was a distraction. I am sure he was a great driver and his classroom technique was great. But in car he just ran on and on. I asked him to slow down and give less instruction so I could actually learn. I think we always insulted and got out of the car. Yea....bad experience. He simply over loaded my ability to drive listen and learn. A box of rocks.

Don't be that guy

I've heard when they do instructor simulations, they'll get out of control mid-corner on purpose to prepare you how to intervene with the steering, shifter, and e-brake. I'll be there learning how to flag, so I'll see you there!

Read High Performance Driving by Bondurant if you haven't read it before.

F.D. Sako said:
I've heard when they do instructor simulations, they'll get out of control mid-corner on purpose to prepare you how to intervene with the steering, shifter, and e-brake. I'll be there learning how to flag, so I'll see you there!

I will see you there.

VoodooBOSS said:

I will do this, the only thing remotely racing related I have ever read is The Art of Racing in the Rain.

VoodooBOSS said:

quintessential piece.
there's also a video version done in, what appears to be, the early early 80's based on the short-shorts the guys are wearing. It helps with visualizing some of the concepts.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
F.D. Sako said:

Not sure how SCCA handles it but any organization I have driven with specifically said DON'T touch any of the controls (due to insurance limitations/liability); however this could be good learning in the event that everything's gone to hell.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Not sure how SCCA handles it but any organization I have driven with specifically said DON'T touch any of the controls (due to insurance limitations/liability); however this could be good learning in the event that everything's gone to hell.
I wonder how the clinic will go, regarding this. Depending on the situation I could see why they may tell you to intervene, however that may also make it much worse.

Grant 302 said:
Just be safe. Heard too many horror stories, between the insanely comical ones.

Live to share the comical ones. :)

I will certainly make sure I am safe first and foremost. I have heard of instructors getting into a car that had stock pads and original brake fluid, I wouldn't make the same mistake, I would also hope that the SCCA or any other group I instructed would prefer a student go home disappointed than injured.

Do me (and others) a favor, if someone shows up with significant national and regional karting experience, don't spend 20 minutes in front of the class denigrating their achievements. I experienced this while attending SCCA driver's school back in the day. It was really embarrassing for me and another (who was a national champion) to be singled out for "special treatment" . That being said, my in car instructors were great..and former karters.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel