The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Australian SuperCar Gen3 Mustang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
There are Tech Talk Gen 3 videos on the S'cars site.....one includes a bit with a S'cars (sanctioning body) tech dude who showed LS and Coyote dyno overlays (identical, essentially) and suggested that it took a bit of detuning/fiddling to pull down the Coyote's output. (Said also that new engine - complete = $50k AUSD).

Big surprise? No...the 5.2 heads/cpc cams on a 5.0 block and 100 octane makes about 570chp (FP almost sold that as a kit a few years ago, IIRC). Now, figure on stroking, bigger bores, cams e85.....

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
$50k(ausd)... they could probably cut 3k out of that if they didn't have billet timing chain cover and vc's. Talked with a contact in Australia who worked closely with the engine builders of the GM platform and he said it took a lot of work to get the valve train to live and the overall package to compete with the Ford. I was surprised by that statement to be honest with you, I kinda figured GM would have brought in a few NASCAR engineers to help with that.

It's interesting to note the changes between the 5.4L in this video and the earlier image on a stand.

Differences in the video:
GT350 Intake Manifold rather than GT 2018+
2020+ GT500 Valve Covers with Production Coil Covers rather than the Custom Billet Valve Covers
OEM Front Timing Cover rather than the Custom Billet Timing Cover
Different Throttle Body (Stock GT350 throttle body rather than the Ford Performance 90mm?)

The one in the video appears much closer to a factory engine, which makes me think the original was probably a development mule. They did note that each OEM was trying to include more of the street-car components, where applicable, for cost.

As far as broadcasting, I confirmed we aired Repco Supercars 2021 on the Motortrend channel as a part of 'MotorTrend's Wide World of Speed' (Also have episodes for Repco Supersprint, British Touring Car, and DTM - the series title is a catch-all for motorsports off US shores) Fridays at 4PM ET. Those are 1-hour cutdown highlight reels. However, the 2021 Repco Supercar season was livestreamed on MotorTrend On Demand is still available uncut there as well in the permanent archive. It was unclear if we we're renewing the US-based linear broadcast license for the 2022 series, but if there is substantial interest I can reach out and at least see if we're getting the livestreaming rights for digital (since I figure the group here would probably be more interested in uncut live footage than the 1-hour highlight reel edits). RES_22 also pointed out that a digital streaming and on demand version is also available on the Repco Supercars website for a subscription fee as well.

The Coyote is based on the Mach 1 so has the GT350 intake, then bored out to 5.4 liters.
It's bored out? I thought it was stroked. Maybe I missed something in the video. The data plate at the end of page 2 in the thread stated that the block still used the factory plasma arc lining and had a custom stroke crankshaft, so I thought the increase in stroke achieved the increase in displacement. Is Ford making custom blocks at the factory and then shipping them to the engine builder, since the plasma arc lining is something I thought they could only do at the manufacturing plant? That picture is also where I was noting all the development differences from (like the intake manifold/throttle body combo). I would imagine if they're basing it on an OEM architecture and trying to meet a lower cost threshold, that they'd just use the OEM block and use a custom crankshaft to meet their displacement goals as much as the bore depth allows.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
It's bored out? I thought it was stroked. Maybe I missed something in the video. The data plate at the end of page 2 in the thread stated that the block still used the factory plasma arc lining and had a custom stroke crankshaft, so I thought the increase in stroke achieved the increase in displacement. Is Ford making custom blocks at the factory and then shipping them to the engine builder, since the plasma arc lining is something I thought they could only do at the manufacturing plant? That picture is also where I was noting all the development differences from (like the intake manifold/throttle body combo). I would imagine if they're basing it on an OEM architecture and trying to meet a lower cost threshold, that they'd just use the OEM block and use a custom crankshaft to meet their displacement goals as much as the bore depth allows.
You’re prob right, I used the wrong term, makes whole lot more sense to keep costs down. Will validate. Thx

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
It will be the same for both cars. Drivers will have to get used to it but the governing body asked for a dramatic reduction in downforce in order to put emphasis on mechanical grip and have better parity between the Chevy and the Ford. They're just used to having heavier cars with more aero that sticks everywhere...

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
So question about the body kits. Are those produced over here and shipped over, or does Ford provide Dick Johnson something of a mule, and let them play with it until they're satisfied with it all? I'd love to run one of those front clips and made some calls down there which ended up getting me hung up on more than one occasion -- apparently they thought I was going to take over the illegal underground Perth race scene.

For the 2nd time, mate.

So question about the body kits. Are those produced over here and shipped over, or does Ford provide Dick Johnson something of a mule, and let them play with it until they're satisfied with it all? I'd love to run one of those front clips and made some calls down there which ended up getting me hung up on more than one occasion -- apparently they thought I was going to take over the illegal underground Perth race scene.

For the 2nd time, mate.
Don't know if you want to corner the market on the body kits just yet. Apparently the body is just temporary for demonstration and mechanical testing until the S650 comes out.

"Don’t get used to the look of the Gen3 Ford Mustang Supercar unveiled at Bathurst – it will look very different when it hits the grid for the 2023 season.

That’s because Ford will launch a new generation of its iconic pony car before then, likely sometime in the second half of 2022. While no one in the Blue Oval camp would speak on the record, Speedcafe.com understands that the current ‘S550’ shape will be replaced by the new ‘S650’ Mustang by the time the 2023 Repco Supercars Championship begins.

In fact, the timing of the arrival of the new Mustang was believed to be a key factor in the delays to introduce the Gen3 cars to the series. The potential of Ford teams needing to build new cars in both 2022 and then 2023 initially led to a plan to split next season between the Gen2 and Gen3 cars before the entire introduction was shifted to the start of ‘23."

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Watched practice of Nascar running at the LA Coliseum yesterday and have to say the cars look good! Thanks for posting the picture as it shows things even better and it should be an interesting year with a composite body, independent rear end, bigger brakes, single lug nut, sequential gearbox, rack and pinion steering, and different size tires. I have to believe it will be an interesting learning curve and that could bring some surprises with the drivers who are quick studies. I am looking for some surprises but in my opinion it is time to get Nascar into the 21 Century.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit

For the 2nd time, mate.
Everything is built in Australia. And as the car is a complete tubeframe chassis design, you wouldn't be able to fit any of the aero kit to a road legal / track day car here.
Your best bet is to get a destroyed and signed panel after a race, or on Ebay, for garage wall art. But that's as close to owning any part from these cars as anyone could ever get...

TMO Supporting Vendors