The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
Mar

Auto Club Speedway - Mar 26-27 (NASA Socal)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Interested for 3/26 but haven't been back to a NASA HPDE for years, are the techs done onsite now? Used to be signed off by an approved shop.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Interested for 3/26 but haven't been back to a NASA HPDE for years, are the techs done onsite now? Used to be signed off by an approved shop.
Yeah, somewhat of a self-teching honor system as long as I've been with them for the last two years. They have a sheet that you're supposed to check (and you should), and they typically sort you into lines, HPDE and Race tech, where they'll go over looking for basic things, brake lights, battery tie-downs, etc, etc.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
The only thing I would add to @PaddyPrix ‘s comments above - the more mods your car has, the more scrutiny it will draw from the NASA tech team. For an example, my first time through they turned me away because the clips on my harness weren’t safety wired and a couple other small things. At the same time he was going over my car with a fine-tooth comb, a guy pulls up in the other lane with a Civic Type R, dealer tags still on it, and he didn’t even look at it. Once a mod has been made, it has to meet the CCR requirements applied to the same equipment for their race series.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
The only thing I would add to @PaddyPrix ‘s comments above - the more mods your car has, the more scrutiny it will draw from the NASA tech team. For an example, my first time through they turned me away because the clips on my harness weren’t safety wired and a couple other small things. At the same time he was going over my car with a fine-tooth comb, a guy pulls up in the other lane with a Civic Type R, dealer tags still on it, and he didn’t even look at it. Once a mod has been made, it has to meet the CCR requirements applied to the same equipment for their race series.
As someone who is looking to get a seat and harness in the coming weeks, what's this safety wire you mentioned?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
As someone who is looking to get a seat and harness in the coming weeks, what's this safety wire you mentioned?
There’s a small hole in the spring loaded latch on the harness clip. They’re designed to have a cotter pin or safety wire threaded through to keep the latch from opening.
44E0A7B5-E06A-4610-A551-16E560F68212.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Guess I'll dig out my old HPDE log book and sign up, not sure which classing I'll be put under. Stock PP2 with camber plates, Borla catback, 19x11 Apex squared, 305 OEM SC2s.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Bought my 2-day ticket today. I'm definitely going now!
Excited to try out the Leroy trailer for actual use.
Bad news, Sparco told me 1.5 month lead time for the Circuit II I ordered. I suppose that's fine though
Not that I'm anything like your Mom, but if you're going to do TT, might be worth trying to get that taken care of on Friday and talk to Tom (glasses, long grey hair) about trying to get an annual pass, just for TT. Gets you a logbook, and while you pay like $40 upfront, next event you just show it and pretty much get rushed right through, that and it's cheaper over the season($5/insp instead of $20). Not only that, but while you're not as PoS as some of us, would hate to have you miss a session as they're really enforcing rules and safety this year. Oh, and new season requires a dyno, and while they'll have that mobile one on site, I'm not sure if they'll be set up for that on Friday, weren't at WSIR.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Not that I'm anything like your Mom, but if you're going to do TT, might be worth trying to get that taken care of on Friday and talk to Tom (glasses, long grey hair) about trying to get an annual pass, just for TT. Gets you a logbook, and while you pay like $40 upfront, next event you just show it and pretty much get rushed right through, that and it's cheaper over the season($5/insp instead of $20). Not only that, but while you're not as PoS as some of us, would hate to have you miss a session as they're really enforcing rules and safety this year. Oh, and new season requires a dyno, and while they'll have that mobile one on site, I'm not sure if they'll be set up for that on Friday, weren't at WSIR.
Absolutely. I plan to use this event to get weighed and dyno'ed for TT. Then I can start all the paperwork. I'll be sure to ask Tom about the annual pass, that sounds like a major perk.
Thanks for the tips, mom! 😆

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Absolutely. I plan to use this event to get weighed and dyno'ed for TT. Then I can start all the paperwork. I'll be sure to ask Tom about the annual pass, that sounds like a major perk.
Thanks for the tips, mom! 😆
Just got the e-mail confirmation --
  • Tech hours: Friday, 3-5pm; Saturday-Sunday, 7:00am - 5:00pm
  • Dyno service: Sat., 12 - 4pm; Sun., 10am - 3pm
Love you,
-Mom

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Might as well Saturday night, who knows, maybe we can beg and even get it in the hot pits or something. Either way, you know I'm in, and if we ask Herb, we'd get quality work. Do your makeup because his 8k 92 megapixel camera is going to leave nothing to the imagination.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Might as well Saturday night, who knows, maybe we can beg and even get it in the hot pits or something. Either way, you know I'm in, and if we ask Herb, we'd get quality work. Do your makeup because his 8k 92 megapixel camera is going to leave nothing to the imagination.
Sounds like you've given your ol stripper quite the make over. Looking forward to seeing the new look.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
Ok, maybe this is a dorky idea, but I think it'd be cool if all seven of us TMO folks lined up our cars and took a group picture at the end of the day. Thoughts?
Sign me the hell up.

Edit: I relented and washed the car so I don't ruin the picture with how dirty it was. Can't wait to go off in the last session and find out I wasted my time 😁

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors