The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
Mar

Auto Club Speedway - NASA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I'll be there both days in TT2 or TT1 if nobody shows for TT2.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
I'll be in HPDE 3 with hopes to get to 4 and possibly into TT. Gotta be with the cool kids like @PaddyPrix
It's going to be nice seeing some Mustangs out there, I believe I was one of two until Chad blew something up. Lots of smaller cars that you'll reel in on those long straights. -- Oh yeah, and Alessandro was there on Saturday too.

If you've got a passport, might as well get the sign off, I think Toyo gives you some free money for just doing so, and I've heard even more with the TT promo.

If you ran the Super GT Cup without incident with like 20 cars on the track, you should be fine for TT in my book. Running mid-pack you just have to keep an eye out for the TTU guy in the corners, we should keep pace on the straights, but holy moly that acceleration.

It’s official - this will be my maiden voyage in TT3 with NASA! Next step is a trip to the dyno.
Congrats! Here's hoping we replicate our last weekend out at Chuckwalla - - Shake n' Bake!

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
What's typical etiquette in TT? Slower car stays on-line and TTU guy would go wide or off-line to pass?
Most people only doing a handful of laps means that generally speaking, you don't really have to deal with it more than perhaps the first session, because the pre-grid by laptime has not yet been set. Generally speaking, if you're being passed, stick to the line, and perhaps even give a point if there's any potential for miscommunication. Every so often you'll see somebody on a cooldown lap, and off the line with flashers on, pointing you by on the line, sometimes not, just gotta do it a bit and figure out what people's tendencies are. People in a TT5-TT6 are pretty good about that stuff because they kinda have to be :D

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
would love to show up and run tt3 with yall. bit out of the way though

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Does anyone have an in-car video of a manual S550 at ACS? I haven't driven this track since my very first HPDE. Not sure what gear to go into and where.

Check @PaddyPrix’s YouTube channel (same name on YT). I believe he has a few laps posted and should be a good comparison since you’re both running the MT82-D4 and assuming your rear gear is the same.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Check @PaddyPrix’s YouTube channel (same name on YT). I believe he has a few laps posted and should be a good comparison since you’re both running the MT82-D4 and assuming your rear gear is the same.
Thank you sir.
I'll check out Mr. Paddy's videos. I think he has 3.55 gears as opposed to my 3.73 but I'm sure it's close enough. I read somewhere to enter the infield in 3rd but that seems too high a gear for that slow a turn

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I read somewhere to enter the infield in 3rd but that seems too high a gear for that slow a turn
3rd gear into turn 3 should be correct. I’m running 4.10’s and the Tremec is also direct drive in 4th - I hold 3rd through 5 & 6, just touching the top end of the rpm range coming into 5.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Thank you sir.
I'll check out Mr. Paddy's videos. I think he has 3.55 gears as opposed to my 3.73 but I'm sure it's close enough. I read somewhere to enter the infield in 3rd but that seems too high a gear for that slow a turn
3rd gear into turn 3 should be correct. I’m running 4.10’s and the Tremec is also direct drive in 4th - I hold 3rd through 5 & 6, just touching the top end of the rpm range coming into 5.
For what it's worth, I'm running smaller 315/30/18 tires, which make my tire height like 25.4", a big jump down from the stock 27", so that effectively puts me a lot closer to 3.73 than 3.55. 3rd to 115-120, 4th to almost 160.

I agree with Tom, and for me, I'm in 3rd the whole time with exception to hitting 4th on the two inner straights, exiting turn 6 approaching 7-8, and going through 10-11 which is not really a turn. Grab 4th on the apron/banking and at your power, I think you'd be fine to stay in 4th to the end, probably good to 140 or so as you come into the grandstand which you can just lightly lift and lose some on your turn-in. Turn 9 is iffy for 2nd gear, I have been fighting with it for a bit, but with my lack of a shifter and stuff going on, I don't want to potentially misshift into 2nd, and even when I could, taking that hard right at high rpm makes the rear want to slide out. 3rd will lug it a little bit especially with the G's, but my data shows it's slightly faster, no matter how hard I think I can bang the 2-3 shift.

Edit - Also forgot that since you're a Performance Pack, put your Torsen to good use. Feel free to lean on it in those harder turns, as it applying power to the outer wheel should help you better rotate and pick up some additional exit speed that LSD brokedicks like myself can't. Since LSD just wants to put power down, it'll keep moving both wheels at the same speed, having me fighting throttle and forcing me to understeer and/or overshoot. Enjoy your fancy techmology until I join your cool kid ranks.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Ok, I'll try 3rd gear. I think I was going into 2nd for turn 3 and again into the decreasing radius turn but as it was my first track day, I'm sure I was beyond slow. The less shifting I do, the better. I am no bueno at shifting. Anyone wana sell me an Autoblip 🤣

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Ok, I'll try 3rd gear. I think I was going into 2nd for turn 3 and again into the decreasing radius turn but as it was my first track day, I'm sure I was beyond slow. The less shifting I do, the better. I am no bueno at shifting. Anyone wana sell me an Autoblip 🤣

Digital is the way to go.
https://www.xineering.com/dbw.html

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have both the Auto-Blip and the Xineering units. Each has their advantages and disadvantages.
Auto_Blip is easier to adjust. Has an on off switch. Less predictable.
Xineering seems to be more predictable. Does not come with a simple on off capability. Add an on off switch for this system is you buy one. Must use a laptop to adjust.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Turn 3 and Turn 9 would be the two places to play with. Assuming that the temps stay solid, perhaps do session 3 forcing yourself into 2nd the whole time, and session 4 skipping 2nd the whole time, and see what wins out? I've been staring long and hard at my Autoblip, still on the fence, I might change my mind.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
@flyhalf is my +1

f'n psyched, last minute mods going on and in over the next few nights.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel