The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Auto Club Speedway to be replaced by 1/2 mile short track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
While a repave was imminent and overdue, really didn’t see this coming. I’m sure it’s exciting for NASCAR fans (all 150 of them), but a complete gut punch for those of us in SoCal that have been spoiled with the Roval being so close to home and the uniqueness that a Roval track provides. The timeline is aggressive to clear the guaranteed California red tape that a project of this scale would bring - just not sure how far down that road they are already....

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/nascar-auto-club-speedway-short-track

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
A roval would likely be a cheaper alternative. 150 fans. LOL.

Some venues are charged tax on seats. Filled or empty, the tax is the same. Fewer seats then become logical. That would be the local government forcing the change, not NASCAR.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
“Much of the valuable property currently occupied by the longer D-shaped oval and infield road course would eventually be sold.”

Looks like it may not affect HPDE use in the near term. The new plans look like they’re in the south side of the block.

548DBE29-BEDC-41F2-875F-12F10E652B6F.jpeg

Looks like where I’ve boxed in red?

34B25B7E-9D46-400D-9475-81470CDEBC86.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
“Much of the valuable property currently occupied by the longer D-shaped oval and infield road course would eventually be sold.”

Looks like it may not affect HPDE use in the near term. The new plans look like they’re in the south side of the block.

View attachment 58135

Looks like where I’ve boxed in red?

View attachment 58136

I believe the new layout uses the center part of the current grandstands, sky boxes and with part of the front straightaway rebuilt. It looks like the diagonal road in the upper left corner of NASCARs rendering is the current tunnel road that goes to the infield.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I believe the new layout uses the center part of the current grandstands, sky boxes and with part of the front straightaway rebuilt. It looks like the diagonal road in the upper left corner of NASCARs rendering is the current tunnel road that goes to the infield.
Yeah I didn’t realize how small it was until I saw what parts are being reused. Like the stands and only some of the existing garages.

It was only a matter of time I suppose.

This will give you a better idea on what the plan would be. It looks like we have until the fall of next year until construction starts. I do not see this not moving forward as planned as the speedway is sitting on a ton of commercial space.

633BDFB6-9C60-402B-B163-8D4125F18AAE.jpeg

What a freakin horrible idea. First they close the Ontario Motor Speedway for delelopment, then Riverside and now Fontana? As a guy who grew up in the area when SoCal was the car and motorcycle racing center of the world it's sad to see this happen.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Well...... I heard a different opinion from a few NASCAR types.
Their points were:
The largest single market for NASCAR is SoCal. Much more than 150 folks.
The rebuild will turn the location into a multi event center that will support more than just racing and produce revenues year round.
Short tracks are more popular and enjoyable for the fans. Martinsville comes to mind.
NASCAR considered rebuilding Chicagoland and was rejected at the state and local level.

I suspect this “Mistake” will parallel the the one Ford made with the Mach E. A terrible idea until we actually see the product, then..........

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Well...... I heard a different opinion from a few NASCAR types.
Their points were:
The largest single market for NASCAR is SoCal. Much more than 150 folks.
The rebuild will turn the location into a multi event center that will support more than just racing and produce revenues year round.
Short tracks are more popular and enjoyable for the fans. Martinsville comes to mind.
NASCAR considered rebuilding Chicagoland and was rejected at the state and local level.

I suspect this “Mistake” will parallel the the one Ford made with the Mach E. A terrible idea until we actually see the product, then..........

If I was looking at this purely from NASCAR’s point of view, the business case is undeniable. All the points listed are valid, however the root motivator is the cash grab on selling the surrounding real estate. If this wasn’t the case, why not bring the Roval up to Charlotte type quality, and add a 2nd race to the schedule since the fans have responded very positive to watching the Roval races.

And look, the comment about 150 fans was cheeky - whatever the number really is, it’s shrunk considerably in the last 10 years with no signs of changing course. Everyone outside the sport points at the empty stands as proof - that’s not it. The stands would be full every single race if NASCAR wanted them to be. Their TV contracts are too fat, and lowering ticket prices to fill the seats just becomes unnecessary work to net the same profit.

I’m looking at it from a purely selfish standpoint as a grassroots Motorsport enthusiast - the track is currently a multi-use facility. With the drag strip, shifter Kart track, RC track, driving experiences, etc, the track is active 320+ days per year - with mostly Motorsport type events. All of this will be gutted for a 1/2 mile oval that will never get driven on but once a year when NASCAR is in town. Irwindale Speedway is 25 minutes west of Fontana - I don’t see the IE needing another 1/2 mile speedway for the local racers, nor is the track interested in hosting them. There’s bigger money to be made catering to other event types, and grassroots Motorsports takes another blow from corporate sellouts.

sfo
If you have a race license one might be able to join SCCA on 11/14/2020 weekenbd for the Pacific Coast roadrace championship. It could be nearly the last races at ACS. SCCA does accept racers from other organizers depending on what license you hold. keep posted on calclub.com

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Par for the course, sitting on too much valuable land, can't draw fans, a smaller track may actually get used more. didn't help that they got greedy with their prices.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Interesting. How do you see investing many millions of dollars in development costs as selling out?

Fans want shorter races, in both distance and time of race. Why?? BORING. I have seen races at short tracks, mile and a half, speedways and road courses. The road races are more exciting because there is more to see. You are not confined to a single seat. You move from corner to corner removing the boredom factor. At a short track the cars are closer to the fans, turn more often and are more exciting to watch. The big tracks you watch the first 20 laps, go get a hotdog and tequila slushie and veg out until the last 25 laps. Fairly boring.

Which tracks sell out?????

Nascar has made a choice. Ride the traditional train, likely to no where, or try to change and remain relevant. They chose to change. A bit like what Ford did with the Mach E.

sfo
If the land is valuable for homes ISC will write their own epitaph when the new residents complain of the noise from the short track. Or is ISC betting on short track needs of EV racecars that race quietly? What will potential owners of new homes there think when the wind is right the distinct smell cow is in the air.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
How do you see investing many millions of dollars in development costs as selling out?

When the re-investment is far less than the likely take on the sale of land for commercial development, while simultaneously doing away with multiple venues for average Joe enthusiasts.

Again, you’re coming at this from a NASCAR fan perspective that doesn’t live in this area, which I completely understand. I’m coming at it from perspective of the average Joe that enjoys driving my own stuff much more than watching other people drive theirs. Neither is right or wrong.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Nascar offered the rebuild to Chicago first, they declined. So Cal was second. Chicago will likely die a slow death with No One wanting the land.

Time will tell in So Cal.

I am not sure how many 4-500 mile snooze fests you all have sat through. I used to catch 1-3 a year. I was always glad when they were over. From what I hear So Cal can be warm. What do i Know??

Nascar knows the longer race on longer tracks is a dying show. Expect all races not at Daytona or the southern 500 to shorten. They are investing in the future....assuming your state government will allow them to play there in the future and the travel juice is worth the squeeze. If not, no big show usually means no little shows. Something to think about.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I "watch" pretty much all Nascar's stuff. I quoted watch because I typically watch the start and first 25 laps or so, then I go do life stuff and check in every once in a while and catch the last 25 laps or so. I get stuff done and still get to see what is often the best parts of the race. Exceptions for road courses, I try to catch all of those races. Works for me!

TMO Supporting Vendors