The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Auto Cross Advice Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I hope to autocross my stock LS next weekend. Any advice on shock settings, tire pressure, etc will be appreciated. I've never auto crossed any car. I hope to have my MGW installed by then but might not because I'm so busy at work. I don't want advice on what to buy to make the car better. I only want tips on driving the car as it is. Thanks!

Check out my Autocross thread. You have to run in esp and it depends on the competion and track size. 60 second laps your not going to be competive if they are on hoosier a6's. Really you won't compete with any car on a6s if they can drive. You may pull 1 lat g if your smooth on treaded tires. I pull 1.36gs and I've won my last 3 after making my changes. I'd only be surprised if changing the shock settings make a difference. If u want to be fast. Tires, Camber plates, springs in that order to start. I have adjustable swaYs but I'm not convinced they make a difference. Feel free to contact me.

I may sell my parts as I'm buying an arca race car. Good news is everything is bolt on so you can go back to factory.

That said if you don't care about being competitive. Try 3 settings see how it does and adjust from there.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Since you only are asking about initial set up and driving tips , I would just do the simple stuff and have fun, especially since you have never done this before.

Try 36 lbs in front , cold, and 34 in the rear. Set the shocks at 5 in the front and 3 in the rear.

Get to know your car and enjoy, you can decide on what to do after that if you find yourself enjoying the Sport.

Though I know some suggest using the Advance track when you start, I personally suggest you turn everything off -- then you will find the limits and since most Autocrosses are at relatively slower speeds, I think it gives you a better feel for the car.

Sent you a PM

Bill Pemberton said:
Since you only are asking about initial set up and driving tips , I would just do the simple stuff and have fun, especially since you have never done this before.

Try 36 lbs in front , cold, and 34 in the rear. Set the shocks at 5 in the front and 3 in the rear.

Get to know your car and enjoy, you can decide on what to do after that if you find yourself enjoying the Sport.

Though I know some suggest using the Advance track when you start, I personally suggest you turn everything off -- then you will find the limits and since most Autocrosses are at relatively slower speeds, I think it gives you a better feel for the car.

Sent you a PM

Thanks Bill. That's what I was looking for. I also like the idea of walking the course. I figured out the mods you like from your sig.

zzyzx

Steve
First and foremost try to have fun! This means NOT trying to "be competitive". Forget about all that because you won't be.

Contact your local autox people and see if they have a novice program so to speak - many regions will assign veterans to take a group of novice drivers on course walks to learn the course. And, ask if you can do a ride-along with an instructor; this could be the biggest eye opening experience you have at the event.

Read up and much as you can prior to the event to get familiar with the organization of the event, etc. Be prepared for a long, hot outdoor event (water, sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, etc...).

Your class: ESP. The LS is not eligible for "stock class" (e.g. AS).

If possible try to work before you run. Pay attention to the cars and what happens on course - learn from their mistakes. Mentally note problem areas on the course where people hit cones or get loose.

Good luck!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel