The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Auto tranny in a Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This may come across as blasphemy but with all the MT-82 transmission issues I was wondering if anyone had accomplished an auto transmission conversion? Just curious.....

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
JW Last said:
This may come across as blasphemy but with all the MT-82 transmission issues I was wondering if anyone had accomplished an auto transmission conversion? Just curious.....

Yes. A member had a car with 700+ HP which destroyed the input shaft on the MT-82 twice. Car was set up for drag racing.

Installed a factory auto set up. Was very happy with the auto.

The biggest problem with the MT-82 is the clutch not the trans. For drag racing why not install an auto?

Grant 302 said:
^Was that 'racerat'?
Yep, thats her. A 9:75 second Boss with an auto. I do believe the Boss block couldnt handle the power and she windowed the block also.
http://www.boss302forum.com/topic/16289-stock-boss-motor-is-a-beast-975148/?hl=racerat#entry293175

NFSBOSS said:
The biggest problem with the MT-82 is the clutch not the trans. For drag racing why not install an auto?
This, at least OP is trying to make it so he can drive the car and not buff and wax it each day, smoking cigars with it in the garage at night, and never driving it.

DEye

You can't get there from here...
Brandon302 said:
This, at least OP is trying to make it so he can drive the car and not buff and wax it each day, smoking cigars with it in the garage at night, and never driving it.

What wrong with hanging out in the garages at night fawning over her....

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Since we are owners of a great car and Not caretakers for Ford......Make out of it what you please!!
Turbos and an auto should make the car scream. Would Love a ride in that car.
Smoking cigars while looking at a polished Boss on Saturday night....I don't smoke. But then again...Why not.
We bought the car to enjoy. Enjoy it however you please. ;D

DEye said:
What wrong with hanging out in the garages at night fawning over her....

Wife and I have a couple drinks on Friday nites, pull the car out of the garage, set up a couple lawn chairs and have a one vehicle car show with whatever our current Mustang is (mid-life crisis thing). We always get first in class. 8)

Tulsa, OK
A good friend of mine has an '11 GT/CS that came with an auto. Last year he decided he wanted to switch to a manual and found a local boss owner that wanted to switch to auto (building a turbo drag car). They found a shop willing to do the switch and both cars came out working perfect.

TMO Supporting Vendors