The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Auto x

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Being that I don't live where there are any big tracks, is there any set ups that might be good for auto x in the boss? I have the t springs, BMR uca, mount, adj lcas and relo brackets. Stock rims with PSS tires. Im not wanting to be the champ or spend a ton of cash.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think I'd add CC plates at the minimum to help manage tire wear.

A set of dedicated wheels and tires might be nice if you can make them fit the budget. It's my opinion that AutoX is hard on consumables like tires and brakes, but that does depend on how hard you want to drive.

A lot of AutoX courses, in my experience, are tight since the guys setting up the tracks tend to be the dedicated miata crowd. And they are on non-ideal, non-level surfaces. I was getting a lot of push, so I went square with the stock suspension and did better. Everyone recommended CC plates at a minimum, like Grant says. You could look at the setup Sam Strano has (definitely watch his videos). If fun is all you want you should be fine as-is and upgrade when the car is the limiting factor vs skill. That is my approach. HP+ brake pads are probably another good upgrade I would think about for AutoX days.

Thanks guys. Im almost square tire wise now. 275/30 on the front and 285/35 on the back. I want CC plates and a dedicated track tire for sure. The fastest car in the one club right now is an 11 Mustang GT, so Ill get some input from him too. The way they set up the cones and direction changes each week they run.

They run each week?! That will really go thru a set of tires! The group I run with has a championship event once a month and a "fun" event once a month so two events total. I rarely go to both because I need to save my tires since I am on a low budget for my racing habits. I run a staggered setup with 235s up front and 275s in the rear. I am coming from my stock 17x7.5 wheels so I immediately noted the extra grip. At these low speeds though I do notice the tendency to "push" when taking hard corners set up for Miatas. I usually brake early and put in a little more throttle to bring the rear around a bit. I find it gets me in the direction I need to go faster than dealing with the push I feel.

My brakes need upgrading from stock which is on my list of things to do. I currently have heat spots on my rotors from getting so hot on some of the more demanding courses. Since you have a boss, brakes wouldn't be as high on my list as a set of dedicated track tires and CC plates. You have thicker antiroll bars but keeping roll to a minimum at these low speeds help with how you handle those sharp corners. You can see in my picture the amount of roll I have but me bringing the rear around a bit.

AE9C6852-1DA4-4D55-950C-FEDE43887D8F_zps21ck2nwk.jpg

killaz05 said:
They run each week?! That will really go thru a set of tires! The group I run with has a championship event once a month and a "fun" event once a month so two events total. I rarely go to both because I need to save my tires since I am on a low budget for my racing habits. I run a staggered setup with 235s up front and 275s in the rear. I am coming from my stock 17x7.5 wheels so I immediately noted the extra grip. At these low speeds though I do notice the tendency to "push" when taking hard corners set up for Miatas. I usually brake early and put in a little more throttle to bring the rear around a bit. I find it gets me in the direction I need to go faster than dealing with the push I feel.

My brakes need upgrading from stock which is on my list of things to do. I currently have heat spots on my rotors from getting so hot on some of the more demanding courses. Since you have a boss, brakes wouldn't be as high on my list as a set of dedicated track tires and CC plates. You have thicker antiroll bars but keeping roll to a minimum at these low speeds help with how you handle those sharp corners. You can see in my picture the amount of roll I have but me bringing the rear around a bit.

AE9C6852-1DA4-4D55-950C-FEDE43887D8F_zps21ck2nwk.jpg
Thx Killaz. I,m not to sure on if they run every week, it just seams like it. Iwouldnt run that much either due to expenses as well. I'm sure I wont be the fastest or even in the top 10, but I want to give it a go because its the closest thing to a road course I'll get to for a long time. Thanks for the pointers, and Its nice to see a 6 being used for fun. Good luck.

IMO, go run a couple autox events before deciding what you need to do next. Every surface and driver is different. And when you do make a change to the car, you'll have a better idea if it made you faster or slower.

TMO Supporting Vendors