The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Autocross setup (B, D and F street guys help me out)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Dallas
My son purchased a 2020 Eco Boost for D Street. Its a HP and handling package version. Its stock except for a set of 18' wheels. We are running 295/40/18 660 falkens all the way around.

ISSUE - the car feel very unstable in transitions and slaloms compared to the start of the year even after fixing the alignment

Alignment is

d street aliingment.jpeg

The has worked all year until nationals at Lincoln. I had tested the car in Lincoln in May and it worked. I was about 1.4 second back of the guy that got 7th at nats in D Street. With a lot of room to improve as I got used to the car.

At nationals the car was loose. I trailer it up and the alignment was moved with toe out on the right rear. I got the alignment back to the above and it was better but still unable to get power down and did not slaloms as well as it had been.

Questions:

1. B, D, F street guys what are you running for alignments?
2. Anyone running the Magneride shocks?

Car working at Lincoln in May same setup

Car NOT working at Lincoln Nationals

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Dallas
There is some over driving in the Sept nats video at the finish but the car never felt right and I could not get back to the gas.

0 toe in front and 0.24 toe IN for the rear seems to work. As does about 1.7 to 2.0 camber in the rear.

I run cam so I run -3.0 camber in the front....not sure what you can do in Street class for camber in front.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Dallas
0 toe in front and 0.24 toe IN for the rear seems to work. As does about 1.7 to 2.0 camber in the rear.

I run cam so I run -3.0 camber in the front....not sure what you can do in Street class for camber in front.
2.2 camber In the front

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
DS ran Thurs/Fri - in my very limited experience there and talking to a few people, I think that the "Lincoln magic concrete grip" is better on Tues/Wed and falls off Thurs/Fri.

Looking at the Nats run, it didn't seem that loose in transitions to me. It looked fine in the first slalom and most other transitions. You got a little loose in a big RH sweeper, but that could be from carrying a bit too much speed. The spin at the end seemed more like a big push that turned into a tank-slapper as you turned back the other way and the front tires gripped up again.

That said, have you checked the shocks? That's the first thing I think of when handling is "off" in transitions. Not familiar with the 2020 HP/Handling options, but were all the settings (steering feel, ESC, Magneride) set right? I remember one run at Nats where I forgot to turn off the traction control.

Just my thoughts based on one video, not able to have a seat-of-pants feel, and not being there to know the course details. Maybe @DaveW, @Bill Pemberton, or @rgosda350 could chime in, as they were there this year.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Dallas
DS ran Thurs/Fri - in my very limited experience there and talking to a few people, I think that the "Lincoln magic concrete grip" is better on Tues/Wed and falls off Thurs/Fri.

Looking at the Nats run, it didn't seem that loose in transitions to me. It looked fine in the first slalom and most other transitions. You got a little loose in a big RH sweeper, but that could be from carrying a bit too much speed. The spin at the end seemed more like a big push that turned into a tank-slapper as you turned back the other way and the front tires gripped up again.

That said, have you checked the shocks? That's the first thing I think of when handling is "off" in transitions. Not familiar with the 2020 HP/Handling options, but were all the settings (steering feel, ESC, Magneride) set right? I remember one run at Nats where I forgot to turn off the traction control.

Just my thoughts based on one video, not able to have a seat-of-pants feel, and not being there to know the course details. Maybe @DaveW, @Bill Pemberton, or @rgosda350 could chime in, as they were there this year.
My goal here is to see what others are running for alignment

A little more back story:

• Had Covid for the month before going
• Loaded the car mid-day 100 heat and left the key to the wheels at home
• Practice course runs are on the rain tires because I can’t change tires
• Car is loose but it’s probable just the rain tires…
  • Key is brought to me and I can change the tires
No, the alignment has slipped, and I have toe out on right rear
• Pro and all practice are trash due to this
• Fix the alignment and day 1 of nats the car is still loose (oversteer). The car worked great in May in NE and at Bristol, so there is probably not enough toe in in the rear
• Load up on day 2 and head home

My driving caused the spin at the end. Just too fast on the 1st of the 5 turns.

The car had just run down slaloms this year and was able to get back to the throttle early. Day 1 at nats I could not do that, which caused me to question is the alignment.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Dallas
Ran the car today with Jeremy in Dallas at the horse track. Coned at the 1st slalom on the fast scratch times, which would have been 4th in X class. Had a blast.

The toe out in the front needs to be taken out, which I'm thinking will mean taking some of the toe in in the rear out.

Going to take some toe out of the front and the back. test again next weekend.

Jeremy ran a 56.0 +1 and I ran a 55.7 +1

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
As much at you are concerned about suspension and set-up the area you spun was shared by quite a few others. Having run the course I think you just got behind there and could not get back in time -- too much speed and not enough time to get back. It tightened up there a bit more than some thought and it was offset a little. How many times have you been to the Solo Nationals in Lincoln, by the way?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Dallas
As much at you are concerned about suspension and set-up the area you spun was shared by quite a few others. Having run the course I think you just got behind there and could not get back in time -- too much speed and not enough time to get back. It tightened up there a bit more than some thought and it was offset a little. How many times have you been to the Solo Nationals in Lincoln, by the way?
10 plus. Built the winning B Street car 2017 for Pro-solo, Pro Solo points and runner up in the super challenge. 2018 the same car won b street and I was 0.007 out of the trophies. Have done extensive testing at Lincoln over the years and fully understand the setup there is not the setup elsewhere.

Moving to a mustang is new ground, so looking for what other street setup mustangs are doing in B, D and F street. To sort the B Street car there was no tribal knowledge. The mustang in street class should have tons.

2018 DAY2

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Dallas
For anyone coming after me, I'll update my changes here in the sorting process.

2.3 camber front toe out -1.7
2.3 camber rear .3 toe in (total toe is .6) rear 660's
31 front 29 rear

I'm going to take camber down to 1.7 and take all the toe out of the front for next weekend.

It was a lot cooler in May, wasn't it? That alone may explain the difference between the two.

Your tire pressures seem really low. Have you tried higher pressures? I think Leeder runs much higher and the few Camaro guys I know who tried higher liked it. My breakaway seemed much smoother at higher pressures.

DaveW

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Dallas
It was a lot cooler in May, wasn't it? That alone may explain the difference between the two.

Your tire pressures seem really low. Have you tried higher pressures? I think Leeder runs much higher and the few Camaro guys I know who tried higher liked it. My breakaway seemed much smoother at higher pressures.

DaveW
Jeremy and I were talking and it varied if I remember correctly but we had some cool days that were at least 20 cooler than nats.

I tested high and low pressure and low was better but need to test this again to make sure I ran high pressure on a hot day. I'm running a 40mm side wall too, which can't help.

Video from the local event this week. Car seemed a lot better on gravely assphalt....

Sorry for not seeing this until now. I'm running in BS, '20 GT350 with Magneride and a BMR front bar on soft most of the time. I was on RE71s for this year, switching to 660s next year and looking forward to it based on what I've seen and felt in other cars with them.

I'm running 3.0 camber front, around 6.9 caster, and about zero toe to just a hair of toe out. Rear is -1.3 camber and 3/16" (0.5°) toe in. That's similar to the setup one of the fast GT350 guys is running also. I've found the car is relatively balanced and I have a long way to go to get competitive times but that's on me.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Dallas
The car looked good. Interesting to talk about the from bar and how much it helped. I'll DM you.

TMO Supporting Vendors