The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Autocross tire question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I may be late to the party, but... I've been running 295/35-19 Falken RT660's on 19x10.5's square on my S197 for the last two years. Something over 120 runs, and they still have alot of rubber left. That said, they are definitely heat cycled beyond their prime... A couple caveats:

The 295/35-19 RT660 is tall and wide, making it a tight fit. Depending on how low your car is, and how stiff your front end is, they may rub.

The Falkens need heat to 'turn on', and they likely heat cycle out faster than some of the other options. However, if you run mostly in the high ambients, on an abrasive surface like concrete, and/or tend to have a co-driver, they are a solid choice.

Since you are in Michigan, I would likely steer you toward the Yokohama or Bridgestone for autocross. (I am in Indiana and run mostly on asphalt. My next set will be one of those two, likely in 295/35-18...)

Everyone's mileage will vary a little, but my Falkens fell of a cliff time wise at around 70-ish runs. Like a second plus slower. On Peru concrete. A guy from OKC was asking me about his 120 plus run ones at the KC Divisional a few weeks back. He kept saying he couldn't get heat in them (it was a cool day, low 50's) and when I finally touched them he wasn't kidding, they were literally at ambient temp after 3/4 runs and him spinning them all over the course. I maybe have never seen a tire that heat cycled out.

I have no real point here :) THe Yok's seem good to the end compound wise but I never tested that past 80-90 runs. I haven't been on the RE71RS long enough to tell. Wear looks good after 55 runs on my first set and the clock says they are still good.

DaveW

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
KC
Not a great photo but these are 285/35 19 RE 71RS on 19x11 rims square. I am running Steeda dual rate comp springs F&R. No fitment issue and the tires look just fine on the the 11" rims. No experience on Falkens but compared to the Nankangs I was on before these tires are freakin amazing. Now working on the nut holding the steering wheel.

IMG_E3816.JPG

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
THe Yok's seem good to the end compound wise but I never tested that past 80-90 runs. I haven't been on the RE71RS long enough to tell. Wear looks good after 55 runs on my first set and the clock says they are still good.

DaveW

Yesterday I was .3 behind Mark Foley on a 56 sec course. He was on brand new 315 660's, I was on last years 295 Yoks that were down to the cords. This is my second set of Yoks and I feel like they are fast until the very end.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel