The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

autocross?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Laguna Seca is in ESP and frankly with just a few minor changes stock Boss 302 will end up there also. The disadvantage with the car is that most dedicated Autocrossers will go with alot larger tires than you will run on a road course. I found myself at events with 275 fronts and 295 rear Hoosier R6s ( as I primarily want to run on road courses ). Placed second twice , but noticed stock F Stock Stangs were even running 295s all the way around and most of the ESP prepped cars were running as big as 335s in the rear. Car is fun and does well, but if you want to run both road course and autocrosses there are some compromises.

Don't hesitate to go out though , as you will win the gawk factor, as the Boss will draw a crowd. Still few enough that machineheads are glad to see one on the track.

Believe a base Boss 302 will run F Stock, but just a minor change and you bump to ESP ( I did camber plates for instance )

The Boss does pretty well in ESP granted it's the heaviest make/model in the field. Heaviest S197 along with the 2010 and newer GT. 315 18" A6's are the most common size/tire with minor rear sway bar rubbing.

Dave

I have mainly done autoX so far, and it was a lot of fun. I did hit a cone once with the corner of my bumper while going about 40mph. Big black mark that came off with a microfiber and some Meguiars Ultimate or Quick Detailer. No perm damage. Biggest upgrade will be getting rid of the stock tires. Once you get moving just stay in 2nd-3rd and be smooth on the pedal. But still expect Miatas to run better times with the same tires. Even some FWDs are faster if the course is tight. I still need more seat time.

iDrive said:
The Boss does pretty well in ESP granted it's the heaviest make/model in the field. Heaviest S197 along with the 2010 and newer GT. 315 18" A6's are the most common size/tire with minor rear sway bar rubbing.

Dave

What wheels/tires sizes are you running? Picture looks like pf01. I'm looking to purchase a dedicated set of wheels/tires for autoX and trying to figure out what works. Ive heard 295+ need spacers at the front. Currently looking at 18x10 D-Force or F14 and 18x10.5 PF01. I am running OEM style Koni Sport dampers. Thanks for any knowledge you can give me from your experiences!

TMO Supporting Vendors