The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Autocrossed a Focus ST for free

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thank you Ford

I wasn't sure what to expect when I signed up. But it was worth the time and I had fun! They gave us hats, water, Rockstar energy drinks, a video of us in the new focus commercial. And the best for last. I got 2 practice laps on a technical, non timed practice track. Then 2 practice laps on a little faster pro track. Then a third and final lap to see what you got. All laps are timed and I did my best lap on my second try 29.8. The best before I had left was 28.5. So, I wasn't to far off ;D

All you have to do is register and show up. Ford did a great job with this promotion! They are doing 4 more event along the east and west coast. Go have some free fun With someone else's car.

Register here:
Www.drivefocusst.com

There was a 13 GB Boss there too. Not sure whose it was. Anyone here?

http://photobucket.com/albums/i459/jza1736/Focus ST

This was the only lap my wife videoed. It was my third and final lap. 31.7. I tried to push it too hard and went slower. I forgot that slow and smooth is faster than fast and sloppy. Still had fun though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft_i-EC96PY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I want a Focus ST for a DD. Looks like a good time. How about sharing some driving impressions.

The seats were comfy leather recaro's like ours. The steering was tight and the car felt light and balanced. I did not like the clutch. It definitely was as not as strong as the Boss, not does it need to be with about 250 hp. they told us to shift to second before the green flag and leave it in
2nd. The car had plenty of torque in 2nd for the course. Im sure they didn't want people destroying the clutches.
It had plenty of pep. I won't compare it to the Boss, its in a different class. I could see it as a DD, for some people. Not for me, only because I like something with 4 wheel drive for our North Eastern winters.
If it was a car rental choice, I would pick a mustang, buy I'm biased :)

Went to the Focus ST event in LA at Dodger Stadium today.

Some interesting things to note about the course, I guess since it's open to the public it was basically an autocross course with green cones marking turn in and apex. I though that kinda took some of the fun out of it as that's part of the fun of driving a course. Course criticisms aside, here are my impressions:

The car felt softer than I thought. Much softer than my daily 2002 Acura RSX Type S. Clutch engagement point is vague as are the shift gates (and I do remember the days of shifting pre MGW). I don't have clown feet but the top of my foot kept slipping on the clutch pedal and hitting some panel down there.

Negatives aside, there was loads of grip from the 235/18 tires. I went to a Mini event month or so again and the Focus ST grips much better than any Mini. The seats were good but not Boss 302 seats good, I liked the leather manual seats better the power cloth seats. Steering wheel was great, lots of cushioning at the 10 & 2 position, the way I wish the Boss wheel came. Not a bad car but I'd cross shop a Mazdaspeed 3 if I were in the market for a turbocharged FWD hatch.

Actually in this price segment I'd just get a Subaru BRZ. :)

just drove an st for a while...at an undisclosed location...short drive on combo of back rounds, freeway, and a little suburbia.

very nice car...very nicely packaged. power delivery is smooth, steering precision is spot on...though getting used to the torque-steer-correction algorithms was strange...as the car starts to tug to the inside, the EPAS pulls to the outside and I found myself wandering outward when pushing a little harder.

suspension is taught and planted feeling...not too harsh...not too soft.

brakes have a nice solid feel.

I found the car surprisingly roomy in the front, and I fit in the rear just fine too...I'm about 5'9"

it's certainly consistent with the topgear (UK, of course) review...you could drive that car all day long.

it was not as *exciting* as I was hoping...but it wasn't that spirited a drive and it's design center is clearly NOT to be wild and crazy, but civil and plenty capable.

Ford's going to do grat with this car.

I'm going to wait for the RS ;-)

fuhrius said:
it was not as *exciting* as I was hoping...but it wasn't that spirited a drive and it's design center is clearly NOT to be wild and crazy, but civil and plenty capable.
I went for a test drive in one this afternoon and that pretty much sums up my impression as well. I liked it a lot but it wasn't as much "Boss" as I had hoped. ;D As far as looks go it's fantastic. Ford really nailed the details on the car and the Recaro seats are probably better than the ones in our cars. They had three in stock with $3K ADM but I suspect they can be had for sticker or less.

The one I drove:
IMG_1600.jpg
IMG_1602.jpg

The other two:
IMG_1605.jpg
IMG_1604.jpg
IMG_1606.jpg
IMG_1607.jpg

Your impressions mirror mine. Truth be told I was one of 4 guys in the car for the test drive. My question is can you mod it into something capable of Ludicrous Speed? ;D

Talking to the Ford guys at the Roundup in Hastings, they were pretty excited about the car. They contemplated bringing one out but at the last minute decided it might not be a good idea with all the high HP Bosses on the track. If I was in the market for a small car I'd certainly consider one. My college boys have an '11 SE and '12 SEL. The SEL is a 5-door like the ST and is pretty sweet for a small car. We wanted something safe, affordable and inexpensive to drive and maintain. Good cars.

I saw one on the dealer showfloor yesterday. It's too bad my son got his '12 last fall before they came out.......then again considering the cost of his insurance maybe not.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I really like that yellow one and the blue one.

where they asking ADM for them? Just wondering if dealers are ripping people of on the ST's as well.

saw this today on stang tv
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ujnuXb_dLYk[/youtube]

http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-stock-focus-st-runs-14-41-at-97-mph-sct-tune-adds-23rwhp/

5 DOT 0 said:
That's a nice time. I'm going to be buying a new or new to me car very shortly and would love to buy one but I need something larger. Maybe they'll make a Flex ST-R? 8)

I ended up getting a '13 Flex Titanium with EB. So far its been wonderful. A friend has one tuned and the tuner claims over 400HP and just under 400 ft-lb. I drove it and there is an appreciable difference over my stock EB. There are a couple guys that have their Flexes running 12's on the stock turbos's over on fordflex.net. They all still handle "big" however. :)

Justin

5 DOT 0 said:
That's a nice time. I'm going to be buying a new or new to me car very shortly and would love to buy one but I need something larger. Maybe they'll make a Flex ST-R? 8)
I wouldnt mind having a flex either
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2965reullw0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ8SA8ELvDw[/youtube]

2:12 mark in this one
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92FGf5sjoGE[/youtube]

Justin

cloud9 said:
Justin said:
Iwhere they asking ADM for them? Just wondering if dealers are ripping people of on the ST's as well.
My dealer doesnt' do ADMs.....
seeing how the dealer I bought my boss from has an adm on just about everything boss, gt500, raptor etc a st wouldnt be a big surprise for me. Maybe I will see if they have one and if they will let me test drive it.

TMO Supporting Vendors