The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Autocrossers and Trackrats wanting to run Yokohama A052s in any of the CAM Classes with SCCA!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well, if you are running in a Class other than CAM, it should be okay, but SCCA has outlawed the A052 for those running in CAM Classes. Those of us who have been in SCCA and NASA for a long time are somewhat use to this type of political change in the area of Tire Wars. If you are using these tires for road course use, or are in a Street Prepared Class ,or other when autocrossing then no worries, but if you planned on running CAM C , for instance, welcome to the fun world of rule changes. NASA did something similar with some classes that rules say can run no bigger tire than a 275 , when they set up a matrix that the tires must fit within. Well Toyos run narrow, and they fit the matrix , but BFGs and Hoosiers were deemed too wide in their 275 width, so guess what tire folks were likely going to have to run ---- Toyos! They happen to be the Series Sponsor, so some folks were a bit miffed, but such it the ebb and flow of amateur sports and it only affected certain classes.

In case this affects you because you Autocross and Road Race, you could check the rules and see if your car has other classes it can run in with the A052s?

Bill,

Regarding SCCA CAM, this is fake news. The Yokohama was made legal with the release of the 2020 rules.

The text below is from the last handout published 11-26-19 https://www.scca.com/pages/cam-challenge

"Wheel and Tire Allowances • Any wheels are allowed. Non-metallic wheels must be certified/approved from an appropriate, recognized standards organization (e.g., FIA, SFI, SAE, TUV, etc.). • DOT tires with a UTQG Treadwear Grade of 200 or higher are permitted. Excluded Tires: Kumho Ecsta V720 ACR; Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 and Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP. "

Hope this helps,

DaveW

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dave I sincerely hope you are right , and I did not check myself, it came up at our SCCA Board Meeting ( from two guys who run CAM ) as something that had just passed this month. Will give Topeka a call on Monday to verify because I sure hope you are correct . Yokohama went to a bunch of work to get okayed. Thanks for the posting my friend!!!

One of the guys will be super happy if you are correct ( he just bought a set of A052s) , and since you sell Tires, there is a very good chance I am wrong and jumped the gun!!

Last edited:
I just emailed Raleigh to double check, If there was a change, this is literally the first I have heard of it..not a whisper on the very active CAM FB pages.

And if there is a late change, I am going to raise a big stink because I have made multiple changes to my car to accomodate 18's and Yoks AND I LEAVE FOR THE FIRST NATIONAL EVENT NEXT THURSDAY!

DaveW

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You da man, I will call both the guys today...........likely the old rumor with the first A052s and not with the re-engineered, deeper tread edition now out?

You da man, I will call both the guys today...........likely the old rumor with the first A052s and not with the re-engineered, deeper tread edition now out?

Maybe. Or just old info. The Yoko was not legal in CAM in 2019 while it was legal everywhere else. There were draft CAM rules floating around in November with it still on the ban list, but they ended up allowing in on the final rules.

I am excited to see how the Yoks perform at Dixie. I also have 335 Rivals for back to back testing, but I would guess it will be too cold in Dixie for that to make sense (the past 3 years, Rivals were not the prime choice there)

DaveW

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMO Supporting Vendors