Autonomous Cars? or Let Hal Do The Driving

Discussion in 'Track Cars and Other Cars Forum' started by VoodooBoss, Oct 21, 2015.

1. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

Well we've been talking about electric cars in the thread below and an electric car, the Tesla S, is the first autonomous car to hit the road but I thought this subject deserved it's own sticky thread.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5870.0

Although I knew this was coming to the Tesla the guy that bought my Boss, @TerryBoss302 , has a Tesla and downloaded the software update and was telling me about it when we met. I'd love to get Terry's or any other members thoughts on this if they've driven the Tesla with the update or any other autonomous car.

I'm not sure if this is really cool or completely terrifying. I know it's going to work and probably reduce accidents but like many of you I like driving! Anyway like it or not here it comes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CZe5DXeYzw

2. TerryBoss302

TerryBoss302 TMO Beginner

Re: Autonomous Cars Anyone?

I have a Tesla P85D. 0-60 in 3.1. Very fast and handles very well given the low center of gravity. I also am now the proud owner of a Boss302.

I updated the car this weekend to the newest version. I drove to work and back and let it do the driving. Freeway only. It was pretty incredible. I was able to remove myself completely from controlling the vehicle. Even at 80 mph, it had no problem tracking the lanes, watching out for other cars, switching lanes on its own when I turned on the blinker, etc. I love to drive though. I drive 95 miles each way to work, I only do this once a week, but the mundane driving there in heavy traffic is not fun driving. For me, the Tesla made the commute so much easier this week. It is also extremely safe. It does not get distracted, tired, etc. I have been using the automated cruise crontrol for months. It will come to a complete stop in traffic and start again when traffic frees up. It keeps me an acceptable distance form the car in front of me regardless of speed.

I loved he self drive for
    the mundane commute, bu when I got home, I jumped in the Boss for a little bit of fun!

3. VoodooBoss

Hey Terry thanks for chiming in. My wife's Fusion Titanium has the adaptive cruise control and while I was very skeptical of it at first it works extremely well. The autonomous cars are going to make huge jumps in capability over the next few years.

Anyone else driven or driven in one yet?

4. byronj

byronj TMO Addict

I havent driven ( UH I MEAN RODE) in one yet but since I am in the area I am thinking of asking Google if I can volunteer for some free rides.

On a side note I see that there is a start up company here in the Bay area that will be an autonomous taxi service. That will be interesting.

5. VoodooBoss

Now GM has jumped into the fray with LYFT. This is moving FAST!

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1101666_gm-to-develop-on-demand-autonomous-car-service-with-lyft

[​IMG]

6. Brandon302

Brandon302 TMO Addict

I would love to see more autonomous cars and have the technology price drop to allow them to be more common. I would love for people who are terrible drivers to only have the option of purchasing autonomous cars, then again that is really a pipe dream.

7. TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...

I know I'm not ready for it... yet.

How does it know how fast to go?

Do you...
    [​IMG]

8. VoodooBoss

Oh no Audi will be testing at Thunderhill. I sure hope those driverless cars don't crash and mess up the track. My first track day in my GT350 is scheduled for there. ::)

http://www.thunderhill.com/audi-selects-thunderhill-raceway/

[​IMG]

9. VoodooBoss

Re: Autonomous Cars Anyone? Good News!

Finally some good news on this front. ::)

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/01/porsche-autonomous-cars-report/

[​IMG]

10. VoodooBoss

The autonomous cars are coming fast and furious. But do we need autonomous race cars?

http://autoweek.com/article/racing/autonomous-racing-series-takes-next-step-toward-reality?utm_source=RacingDaily20160823&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-center&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awracingdaily

[​IMG]

https://youtu.be/aSbSUeKEj00

11. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

A few more deaths with autonomous or semi-autonomous cars and the idea will be shelved.

What manufacturer will want to absorb the legal costs to defend against the law suits which will come?

Think jury full of citizens who feel big business owes them something. Detroit will run, not walk away.

12. VoodooBoss

They already have a lot of wrongful death lawsuits and the jury's award big settlements. This may be a way to minimize them. There is huge money going into this and it's not going away anytime soon. The auto manufacturers including Ford are putting huge resources behind it. They want to be part of the solution and not be left behind by a predictable (you can see it coming) disruptive technology. My prediction is they will be here sooner than most think. AI and robotics will change our lives in big ways over the next 20 years. Make sure your kids are studying courses that program and manufacture these technologies and not work in ones what will be displaced by them.

You've seen first hand what this has done in the military. ;)

13. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Yes I have. I almost died Twice because the ability to collect, process and react is just not there. Drone crashes were monthly....at least. I saw three hit the ground. People saw what people were fed, not what was happening.

Replacing the "Human Sensor" will be near impossible. Today we dumb down the human sensor with cars that do so much while distracting the human. The result?? Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of highway deaths. My daughter was involved in a serious crash because the other driver was distracted.

Am I a little biased? Likely. I worked in a environment with drones and saw their weaknesses. Did I almost loose my daughter to a car with a human who was switched off, yes. It will take a Whole Lot of convincing before I hand offer my keys to a machine with less than one tenth of the sensory and processing ability of a human.

14. VoodooBoss

Track Time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZCvLTxaPOE

15. TymeSlayer

It's wrong. It's just not right.

"In the year 5555
    Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
    Your legs got nothin' to do
    Some machine's doin' that for you"

Courtesy of Zager and Evans

Bill Pemberton likes this.
  16. VoodooBoss

Tha autonomous cars are coming fast and furious. I will give it one thing, it's better at parallel parking than I am. ::)

https://youtu.be/_jgR2XFEIAc

17. superhero

superhero TMO Addict

Who parallel parks these mustangs. we look for the parking spot in the back of the lot so Hopefully No One will park next to us.
    Or use the NYC practice. The bump and squeeze.
    Maybe you need one of these.
    http://www.bumperarmor.com/rear-bumper-protector-car.html

I will never be a fan no matter what they come up with!!
    We are responable for our own action and putting a car in control of that part is crazy. Just my thoughts.

18. ufnavy06

ufnavy06 Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.

Our Volvo drives itself. Unlike the Tesla though, you have to keep your hand on the steering wheel.

Kinda cool but unnerving at the same time.

19. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

Self driving cars are NOT for me. MY Boss agrees with me on that.. ;)

Mad Hatter likes this.
  20. TymeSlayer

My wife is autonomous. She drives me crazy without any physical effort. Yeah, yeah... I know... it's a short drive ;)

So will they create separate lanes on the freeway for these cars so that us old tyme gear banging knuckledraggers don't have to tango with these folks asleep at the wheel?