The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Autox/HPDE Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good start , now you just need to get a set of rims and some sticky rubber to become a quick cone carver. Top three 200 Treadwear Rated rubber for racers at the Solo Nationals were:

1. Bridgestone RE71Rs
2. BFG Rival S 1.5
3. Yokohama A052

Many of us have used the Apex rims for a square set up, but check the rules for the size you can use depending on the class you intend to run in ------SCCA has the largest Club for Autocrossing, whereas NASA will have quite a few more HPDE events in most of the US.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Good start , now you just need to get a set of rims and some sticky rubber to become a quick cone carver. Top three 200 Treadwear Rated rubber for racers at the Solo Nationals were:

1. Bridgestone RE71Rs
2. BFG Rival S 1.5
3. Yokohama A052

Many of us have used the Apex rims for a square set up, but check the rules for the size you can use depending on the class you intend to run in ------SCCA has the largest Club for Autocrossing, whereas NASA will have quite a few more HPDE events in most of the US.

I've been running a set of Federal 595RS-Pro's for a year and a half on some OEM Wheel 18X9's PP copies. Looking at a set of 19X11" LMR wheels with Rivals for autocross and probably a set of 18X10 or 11" Apex wheels with NT01 for track stuff. I have been autocrossing since late 80's; mainly in Honda's. Been doing HPDE's, again mainly in Honda's, since the early 90's

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would definitely go with the 18x11 Apex rims , as many of us learned the hard way over the last 4-5 years that the 10s were not the way to go. You can get a 315/18 Hoosier A7/R7 or BFG gforce R1S and both are tremendously faster than the ancient NT01. You also have the option of getting used Michelin or Pirelli race slicks , which many are using if doing just HPDEs. Depending on your class Autocrossing, you possibly use the 18x11s with some big 200 TRW rubber ( 315s are out there )- say if you are running in the CAM class?

Ever been to the Solo Nartionals as I started auto crossing in the early 80s .....and plenty of time in Mazdas, Hondas, and the like over the years.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
I would definitely go with the 18x11 Apex rims , as many of us learned the hard way over the last 4-5 years that the 10s were not the way to go. You can get a 315/18 Hoosier A7/R7 or BFG gforce R1S and both are tremendously faster than the ancient NT01. You also have the option of getting used Michelin or Pirelli race slicks , which many are using if doing just HPDEs. Depending on your class Autocrossing, you possibly use the 18x11s with some big 200 TRW rubber ( 315s are out there )- say if you are running in the CAM class?

Ever been to the Solo Nartionals as I started auto crossing in the early 80s .....and plenty of time in Mazdas, Hondas, and the like over the years.

I know the Nitto's are old tech, but they last forever based on running my CRX at HPDE's for years. I've been holding my own on the Federal's so should be able to do the same with a little more rubber on the ground. I usually run Virginia International Raceway, which is about an hours drive from home. Usually change tires night before and drive up on them
Have never been to Nat's. Not that good back in the day and damn sure not that good now. Having fun running CAM-C with a couple of local clubs. Not the fastest but not usually the slowest. The Rivals should be a huge step up in size; 305 vs. 275, and stickiness compared to the Federal's

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I am a whopping 60 miles down the road from the Solo Nationals track , and run there quite frequently as it is also the site for the Nebraska Region of the SCCA ( who is also the Host Region ). We have a good group of CAM participants and the trick tire for the Stangs seems to be the Rival 1.5s in 315x18s. Heck there are a few guys running 335 Rivals on the rear. So I would consider getting those Apex 18x11s, slap a set on the PP1 and you may find yourself going towards the front. Have run VIR many years ago but with the long straights and esses friends have told me the 200 TWR tires work well there as they don't seem to get as hot as on shorter courses with lots of sweepers. Now, of course I can not absolutely verify that, but I bet this Forum will have folks chime in to either refute or confirm that about the course? Feel free to drop me a note on tires if you want, as one does not have to be the smartest if one is overly observant and has been blessed to be around the Solo Nationals since 1981.

[email protected]

TMO Supporting Vendors