The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

AutoX yesterday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fduboss302 said:
Course looked very tight. What damping settings/tire pressures did you run?

Setting wise 5F and 3R. Pressures no clue but needed a little more edges showing signs of scrubbing. Next month i'll check pressures and adjust some. Oh yeah TC was on, next month I will try for the first time with it off.

Here is the next video.

http://youtu.be/2Xb4GOUV54Q

95blitz said:
fduboss302 said:

Setting wise 5F and 3R. Pressures no clue but needed a little more edges showing signs of scrubbing. Next month i'll check pressures and adjust some. Oh yeah TC was on, next month I will try for the first time with it off.

Here is the next video.

Next time try switching your shock setting, 3F and 5R. 40-42 psi F, 38-40 psi R. and turn the AdvanceTrac all the way off. ;)

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
BossJockey said:
95blitz said:
fduboss302 said:

Here is the next video.

Next time try switching your shock setting, 3F and 5R. 40-42 psi F, 38-40 psi R. and turn the AdvanceTrac all the way off. ;)

LoL, I tried my first autocross this year, I turned Advancetrac off to try, OMG I felt like I was on Ice....

[/quote]

LoL, I tried my first autocross this year, I turned Advancetrac off to try, OMG I felt like I was on Ice....
[/quote]

Even though the AdvanceTrac in the Boss is very good, if your smooth with your inputs, yon can be faster with it turned off.

yeah i'm going to add some pressure to the tires and might try with TC off still not sure yet.

seca I could have down shifted in the 2 loops but didn't really see the need. So yeah once in 2nd I stayed there.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Agree with Boss Jockey on turning off the traction control and the Advanctrac , completely. An autocross is all about learning car control , and you are at a lower rate of speed. If you try to learn your car while constantly turning off one device at a time, you are going to compound your learning curve. Learn to squeeze the throttle and work on getting to know your boss intimately, at a lower speed where mistakes are not that critical.

I am assuming BJ is recommending tire temps when hot, though I would have to say I personally agree with the settings you used with your shocks.

Seat time is the trick to any automotive event, so go to as many as you can, listen to the old timers and soak up as much knowledge as you can. The two fastest tricks you can learn initially, is to walk the course 3-5 times concentrating on where you think you should place the car , and learn how to tighten down your seat belt so you are not flopping around.

( Move seat all the way back, yank on the belt to get it to lock, suck in your gut a bunch and get the belt to click. This can take numerous times to get it to work, but once it does grab your seat lever and pull yourself forward. If you can breathe it isn't tight enough, ha)

Works great on a road course too, as moving around in the car not only affects your forward vision , it also means you are using your arms/forearms to hold yourself upright.

Went to the AutoX this past Sunday this time I tryed it with the nannys off. WOW what a blast. It was a little faster but on by .3 a sec. When I go back with the car i'll run with them off. I found that tire pressures look the best at 43F and 42R hot.

zzyzx

Steve
I think the recommended tire pressures in the Boss supplement are for the LS only (R compound tire...).

I tried 41F and there was no grip.

I ended up at 33F / 32R and there was a vast improvement in grip over where I started - and no indication that I was on the sidewalls.

Shocks at 1/5 both F & R.

This was on a medium grip asphalt surface.

There was steady state understeer at the limit. No lift throttle oversteer. Driving a clean tradition line with progressive inputs proved quickest. Very stable rear end through slaloms.

Needs more grip at the front end.

I also find that the tires seem to grip better somewhere in the 33-34 region when the tires are uncomfortably hot to the touch. I use a pesticide sprayer filled with tap water to spray on the tires after each run and I highly recommend it. I overheated the factory Pirelli's on their fifth autocross and the grip never returned.

I run 5 on the dampers all around with the advancetrac in the "disabled" setting, which likes to turn back on, usually killing my fastest runs. Anyone know of a fuse to pull that will really kill the advancetrac, but leave the abs on? From what I understand Gittin Jr. disconnects an wheel speed sensor to go drifting, but that would take out the abs as well.

We run on concrete so the tires will roll over with that low of pressure. Last month the tires had low 30's in them and they wore the side wall some.

TMO Supporting Vendors