The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Autox Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
The winter project has started. Ordered the SVE 19x11s. Over the winter I'll buy some Yokohama A052s in 295/35r19. Before this setup goes on, I'm going to ordered Vorschlag cc plates and whiteline swaybars to make some room.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Did you consider going with 18x11s , as it sure appears that is the size folks in CAMC prefer. You will find the Yokes sticky and keep the Falkens in mind too, as they have a 315 and they should last longer if your budget is of concern.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
Yes, I was really considering waiting until I had enough saved up to flare the fenders and put 335/345 Hoosiers on 18" wheels from Vorschlag . I have kept getting faster each autocross and I was trying to hold off on buying new parts. I' have managed top 20 out of 50-60 cars the last 3 events. Last event I ran, I was 0.254 behind first in CamC with 245/40R19 RE71S. Then I ran across these discontinued wheels for $600 a full set. I figured I could use them for street tires and then buy a different set for the hoosiers eventually.

At the moment, I feel like ESP would be my ideal class but nobody in the club I race runs it. CamC has 4-6 people each event usually. I am fully open to suggestions.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
ESP used to be a " Huge " class , but the advent of CAM really changed all that. Going to Hoosiers your main choices would be ESP or C Prepared , so getting a set of Apex 18x11s or larger would be a thought for those two Classes --- though a 200 TWR tire and bingo CAM is there for you too. $600 is a buy and your thought for them as street tires in the future sounds like a plan, and with events winding down you have the coming months to start your Christmas list, ha. By the way, for racers , the Christmas list in the Midwest starts very soon and continues right into March, haha.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
ESP used to be a " Huge " class , but the advent of CAM really changed all that. Going to Hoosiers your main choices would be ESP or C Prepared , so getting a set of Apex 18x11s or larger would be a thought for those two Classes --- though a 200 TWR tire and bingo CAM is there for you too. $600 is a buy and your thought for them as street tires in the future sounds like a plan, and with events winding down you have the coming months to start your Christmas list, ha. By the way, for racers , the Christmas list in the Midwest starts very soon and continues right into March, haha.
CCSCC only has two events left this season. And I found Southern Indiana Region has a couple left I am going to try and run also. So that gives me 4 events unless I can find a couple more somewhere not too far off.

New wheels shipped really quick came in a couple days ago. The color looks much better in person that it did on the listing. Then today took off the factory lug nuts and replaced with Vorchlags open style 17mm lug nuts. No more ballooning lug nuts.

Snapchat-512003392.jpg

Snapchat-1534026486.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
I really wish these would have been 18x11s. That was I would have a larger pool of tires to choose and the ability to buy take off hoosiers. Falcon rt660s come in 315/30/19 so I was content on picking these guys up for a good deal. I feel you on the trailer. I have been eyeballing one to haul the car but I have not been able to bring myself to buy one. I just bought the mustang in June. Have to space out the large purchases. lol

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
So the UMI LCAs bushings the previous owner has installed have bit the dust. The new Cortex adj LCAs (Track)with relocation brackets will be here sometime today. The car is currently at stock ride height. I plan to go with Vorschlags street pro kit this winter and I have one autocross left early november. Should I wait and install the relocation brackets till i put the new suspension in or will it be acceptable for one autocross and a little daily driving till then?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Polly have a bushing, those things are crackers! Imagine things will feel a lot more planted now. Look at the positives , you can show competitors your bushings and tell them this was the only reason you hit those cones and on raw time you had them covered, ha. Yes, folks there is " Smack Talk" in autocrossing, ha!

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
New LCAs are fantastic. One problem fixed and another arises. Blew my master cylinder out. Completely flushed brakes and pedal still sinks to the floor. Contemplating redoing the whole system while I am at it. S550 6pot brembos, SS lines, and G-LOC R6 pads. Needing to do a little more research though. Reading about lower pedal pressure due to the smaller M/Cs on our 197s.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Sorry to hear about your issues and best of luck deciding what you want for RaceMass , er , Christmas, ha. We can tell you are addicted and if some guy named Grant 302 PMs you please be careful, he loves to spend OPM ( other people's money ).

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Having volunteered and worked for various Clubs over the years, congrats but also thanks. The majority of Clubs out there depend on Volunteers and it would be great if everyone could take a turn in an Office. It would give them a better view of all the work so many do to make sure they and so many others have fun. I am sure many in CCSCC appreciate you stepping forward.

Do you happen to also run some auto crosses with SCCA?

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Southern Illinois
I've ran one with the Southern Indiana Region once last season. I had signed up for vote SIR and the STL regions when I got my scca membership. Just never got a chance to run at STL yet. CCSCC is a 3 hour drive for me but it is 30 minutes from my parents house. I usually just make it a weekend trip. Their autocross events are usually Saturday and Sundays. Allows me to get 16-20 runs a weekend.

TMO Supporting Vendors