The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Awesome '60s car footage - "When You're Strange" - Jim Morrison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fans of 60's cars should check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdG0yuQ-iqc

This is a short film put together from outtakes of a movie called HWY that Jim Morrison of the Doors started in 1969, but which was never finished. In the film Morrison was to be a hitchhiker who kills the guy who picks him up, steals his car, and drives it throughout the southwest. The car: a 1967 Shelby GT500 ! The car is beaten on and abused, as muscle cars were in that era. I wonder what happened to that car?

I came across this when I got from Netflix the Doors documentary "When You're Strange", which came out in 2009. I put the DVD in the tray of my player and went into the other room. The DVD menu screen is about 45 seconds of Morrison driving the Shelby, and from the kitchen, I all of a sudden heard the most glorious and familiar growl - the 428 in Morrison's Shelby. I once had a 1970 428 SCJ Mach I, and the sound gave me chills. The car in the film sounds exactly like my Mach I!

When they documentary was made, they acquired and remastered some of the footage from the original Morrison film. It is absolutely unbelievable how pristine it looks. I thought the documentary makers had hired a Morrison look alike and filmed the segments, but the cars and the gas station scene were so authentic, I couldn't figure out how they could have caught every detail in the filming. It turns out, it is actually really footage from 1969. The cars in the background, the ambiance of the gas station - it all must be seen to be appreciated, especially if you were alive then and remember those days. If you are used to grainy footage from that era, prepare to be amazed. There is very little actual 35mm quality film footage in existence that was not staged. This is very real. I hope HWY is released in its entirety some day.

The YouTube clip is not exactly the same as what is in the documentary, and the sound of the car is not amplified like it is on the DVD. Get the DVD for the full experience.

BTW, the documentary is really good. Even if you don't know or care about the Doors, the 60's film clips of the cars, concerts, people, clothes, etc are worth the watch.

Edit: "When You're Strange" can be streamed in its entirety for free on vimeo.com .

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Re: Awesome '60s car footage - "When You're Strange" - Jim Morrison

Jim Morrison owned a 1968 500KR called the Blue Snake. Supposedly loved the car, but cracked it up quite a few times. Wonder if it's out there or if it got scrapped. Also Lee Marvin owned an Acapulco Blue 500KR convertible, that car was restored and is still out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morrison almost looks like Charles Manson in some of the scenes with that beard. Very eerie with the radio relaying about his death in '69 from a heart attack in Paris when he actually died in '71 from a drug overdose in Paris. Maybe more to this than meets the eye...

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel