The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Axle and transmission cooler and pump of the 2013 GT500

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have found several infos to what others use as axle cooler and pump here in the forum, but nothing about how and where to get those from the 2013 GT500: http://media.ford.com/images/10031/13GT500_cooling.pdf

Does anyone have the axle and or transmission cooler and pump installed and if yes, where can I buy them? On http://www.fordracingparts.com, http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2013_Shelby_GT500_Parts_s/468.htm, http://www.evoperform.com, http://www.lethalperformance.com etc. I can't find the parts and also via google I was not able to find what I was looking for...

Have you tried calling Tousley? These seem like replacement oem parts, not aftermarket. Looks like some awesome gear.

I'd like to know as well. Would be interested in an active trans/axle cooler. I know stevespo installed an aweome axle cooler, but not sure what the part is or where it came from.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
The Ford GT 500 parts are expensive and also ECU controlled so wiring it up is not simple. The trans pump is mechanical and integral with the TR-6060 transmission so also not a retrofit part for MT-82 cars.

For my differential setup I bought a used NASCAR Long plate cooler that was used for transmission cooling on a Nationwide car, 6"x 12" single row with -8 AN fittitings, cost was $59 on eBay. The hoses are Aeroquip socketless oil and lube carrying hoses rated for 300 psi/ 300 degrees service temp. Cost with all fittings and 15' of hose was $179. Bought a Tilton trans and diff lube pump for $219 from Summit. Installed the cooler under the floor pan recess on the passenger side and installed the pump in the trunk with rubber donut isolators and bulkhead fittings through the side of the spare tire well. Used the GT 500 cover that is pre tapped for the 1/2"-14 threads on the AN adapters and I retapped the temp sensor to 1/8" NPT to accept a Auto Meter temp sensor. Hoses were routed and secured along the right side of the frame to avoid the exhaust and allow axle movement. I used a 30 amp relay controlled by the rocker switch in front of the shifter to manually switch the cooler on and off. The temp gauge I mounted on the right rear down bar of the roll bar andd I have the tell tale set at 235 degrees. When it hits that temp I can see the red LED in the mirror and switch on the cooler. There are ways to trigger a switch automatically using the Auto Meter interface but I didn't want to get into complicated wiring.
Steve
DiffCooler001_zpsef6a1155.jpg
DSC_0001-1_zpsdb3aceb4.jpg

DSC_0006-1_zps522eac4a.jpg

check out chicane23.com
they have all the pumps and fittings and coolers for this type of install.
i like how steve set his up. i would build a small scoop similar to the stock trans cooler on these cars for that cooler though to help direct air through it instead of across the face.

steve

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
gremlinsteve said:
also,
steve how much extra oil are you able to run in the system you have for the rear diff right now?
About .8 qt. 3.5 total. I filled the diff to the hole and rotated the axle and turned the pump on for 10 seconds. Let it settle and then topped off the diff to the bottom of the fill hole. No venting issues, I use the Bobs KR vent collector off of the axle tube port AND the spring vent at the top of the cover as shown in the picture.

Want to do a trans cooler but I have heard the fill plug on the side of the MT-82 won't allow fluid to fill while the car is in gear. I have changed trans fluid 3 times and can't remember if I always had it in Neutral when I filled it. I know I did once but not sure about all 3 times. Anyone who knows for sure please post.
Steve

steveespo said:
Want to do a trans cooler but I have heard the fill plug on the side of the MT-82 won't allow fluid to fill while the car is in gear. I have changed trans fluid 3 times and can't remember if I always had it in Neutral when I filled it. I know I did once but not sure about all 3 times. Anyone who knows for sure please post.
Steve

Good info thanks, I feared something like this and I am not sure either when I filled mine.

steveespo said:
The Ford GT 500 parts are expensive and also ECU controlled so wiring it up is not simple. The trans pump is mechanical and integral with the TR-6060 transmission so also not a retrofit part for MT-82 cars.

For my differential setup I bought a used NASCAR Long plate cooler that was used for transmission cooling on a Nationwide car, 6"x 12" single row with -8 AN fittitings, cost was $59 on eBay. The hoses are Aeroquip socketless oil and lube carrying hoses rated for 300 psi/ 300 degrees service temp. Cost with all fittings and 15' of hose was $179. Bought a Tilton trans and diff lube pump for $219 from Summit. Installed the cooler under the floor pan recess on the passenger side and installed the pump in the trunk with rubber donut isolators and bulkhead fittings through the side of the spare tire well. Used the GT 500 cover that is pre tapped for the 1/2"-14 threads on the AN adapters and I retapped the temp sensor to 1/8" NPT to accept a Auto Meter temp sensor. Hoses were routed and secured along the right side of the frame to avoid the exhaust and allow axle movement. I used a 30 amp relay controlled by the rocker switch in front of the shifter to manually switch the cooler on and off. The temp gauge I mounted on the right rear down bar of the roll bar andd I have the tell tale set at 235 degrees. When it hits that temp I can see the red LED in the mirror and switch on the cooler. There are ways to trigger a switch automatically using the Auto Meter interface but I didn't want to get into complicated wiring.
Steve

Thanks for the detailed write up. :)

I am looking for an installation which can be all done underneath the car, like the one from the GT500 if possible. Do you have any additional details to "ECU controlled so wiring it up is not simple"?

fun4me said:
Have you tried calling Tousley? These seem like replacement oem parts, not aftermarket. Looks like some awesome gear.

In the meanwhile I have asked Lethalperformance, feedback yet to be received. So far I only made good experience with them so I hope they can also help out this time.

steveespo said:
Steve

I just changed/filled my trans fluid with it in 1st gear (forgot about the neutral thing). Got all the required fluid in though.

FYI that you get an idea of the price of the GT500 rear diff cooler parts:
DR3Z-3F749-A the coler = $330
DR3Z-4C158-A the pump= $1057

Which is :eek: pricey for me.

@Steveespo, do you have any additional details to "ECU controlled so wiring it up is not simple" or was that only related to the transmission cooling?

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Only the differential cooler pump is ECU controlled, it is an electric pump. When triggered by the temp sensor it switches the circulating pump on and off. What makes that complicated is you would need theGT 500 body harness, the ECU for the Boss and GT cars don't have the diff temp sensor programming in them so a signal or switch would need to be set up to turn it on and off. Too much work and expense to make it worthwhile. The cooler could be used along with the hoses possibly but Ford uses push lock fittings that aren easily compatible with AN or standard tube fitting you would use with an aftermarket pump. Much cheaper to get the Rehagen setup or even cheaper to build one yourself from aftermarket parts.

The transmission setup has a built in the trans mechanical pump. That just won't work unless you swap to a GT500 TR-6060.
Steve

Other option would be a temperature sensing sender switch, they are heat sensitive and come in many heat ranges to turn the pump on and off automatically when it reaches a certain temperature. A little extra wiring but simple enough to install. Looking at your pics, you already have a relay in the circuit so adding a temperature sensing switch to turn it off and on would be simple. Retain the manual control in case you need it but could all be done automatically with a few dollars worth of parts.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
NewBossowner said:
Other option would be a temperature sensing sender switch, they are heat sensitive and come in many heat ranges to turn the pump on and off automatically when it reaches a certain temperature. A little extra wiring but simple enough to install. Looking at your pics, you already have a relay in the circuit so adding a temperature sensing switch to turn it off and on would be simple. Retain the manual control in case you need it but could all be done automatically with a few dollars worth of parts.
Thanks, I know I can use the Autometer interface in the gauge to trip the relay at the set point temp. Somehow I like messing with the aircraft style switch like a NASCAR driver. Brake cooling fans are next. 3" bilge fans are cheap.
Steve

steveespo said:
Thanks, I know I can use the Autometer interface in the gauge to trip the relay at the set point temp. Somehow I like messing with the aircraft style switch like a NASCAR driver. Brake cooling fans are next. 3" bilge fans are cheap.
Steve

Toys are fun to play with. The fans should make a nice addition, add a little more air flow over the brakes. Could add one to the pump system and really make it interesting.

steveespo said:
Steve

You know. I saw those on a site recently. Definitely interested how/where you put them.

TMO Supporting Vendors