The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Axle Back Install (Help)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
jeepinocala said:
PJWANNABE said:
SUPRMN said:
I am looking at the Pype Bomb axle backs but read a few reviews that say install doesn't always line up correctly. They seem to be reasonably priced compared to the Roush, Borla and Corsa.

I have the GT500 axlebacks - Ford OEM part so it fits like a glove and sounds awesome. M-5230-MGTCA1. Only a little over $300 for the set.
Just bought these pretty simple instal any tough spots installing?

The dealer installed mine. It didn't take them long and I hear they bolt right on.

Well they are in and I am really surprised they were not installed from the factory as good as they sound wow and when I hit the qtp to open the side pipes it sounds 100% better very very happy except they are not much fun installing the bolts are hard to get to the best way I could have done it is to take off the pipe in front of it then it would have been a plug and play situation. took around an hour to install two people.

GA
jeepinocala said:
Well they are in and I am really surprised they were not installed from the factory as good as they sound wow and when I hit the qtp to open the side pipes it sounds 100% better very very happy except they are not much fun installing the bolts are hard to get to the best way I could have done it is to take off the pipe in front of it then it would have been a plug and play situation. took around an hour to install two people.

I know, right? They should come stock on all GTs. I think I saw they are part of the track package now on the 2013 (don't quote me on that).

No doubt the Corsas are great...quite a bit of a price difference tho. I'm definitely surprised to hear the GT 500 set is difficult to install.

jimprw said:
No doubt the Corsas are great...quite a bit of a price difference tho. I'm definitely surprised to hear the GT 500 set is difficult to install.
It would have been easy if I had those instructions I was just lazy didnt want to jack the car up or get out the ramps if you unbolt the two pipe then they will be out of your way and you can just simply pull them off I unbolted the front mounts to take them off no fun this way at all but can be done. If I had to do it again I would get out the ramps.

jeepinocala said:
jimprw said:
It would have been easy if I had those instructions I was just lazy didnt want to jack the car up or get out the ramps if you unbolt the two pipe then they will be out of your way and you can just simply pull them off I unbolted the front mounts to take them off no fun this way at all but can be done. If I had to do it again I would get out the ramps.
That makes me feel much better. Thanks for the tip!

Are the Corsas CARB legal? I would guess the GT500s are even on the Boss.

And who will be first to do this mod?

goodbye_kitty.jpg

CaliMR said:

And who will be first to do this mod?

goodbye_kitty.jpg
That's too funny...the best would be to have one of those custom jobs with, like, 800 blown HP, major Goth style dark, onminous paint job with blacked out wheels and skull side mirrors with this tail pipe mod...hilarious!

CaliMR said:

Are you talking about emissions or sound levels? They wouldn't change the any emission levels. As far as sound level, I think anything louder than a Prius is illegal in Cali. :D

It has to have a CARB number or the smog place won't pass you. It doesn't matter if it doesn't actually affect smog levels. I just don't know if CARB numbers are universal or specific to the application.

CaliMR said:
It has to have a CARB number or the smog place won't pass you. It doesn't matter if it doesn't actually affect smog levels. I just don't know if CARB numbers are universal or specific to the application.

Wow, you guys can't even change mufflers :eek:, I though it was just emission equipment you couldn't touch.

Question which I am sure has been asked/answered before. Do the Gt500 axle-backs offer any HP gain? Or are they simply for sound? I personally think the stock exhaust is the best sounding stock system ever. I also find it hard to believe that the side exit exhaust doesn't flow as ford says. I get more exhaust "smoke"(when cold) from the sides than the rear. I would think any back pressure from the rear mufflers would escape out the sides. Maybe I'm thinking too simple. Also, I think the best exhaust mod is a cat delete H-pipe, if you live in a no smog test state. You get sound and big power gains with a light tune to handle O2 sensor issues.

Tflong24 said:
Question which I am sure has been asked/answered before. Do the Gt500 axle-backs offer any HP gain? Or are they simply for sound? I personally think the stock exhaust is the best sounding stock system ever. I also find it hard to believe that the side exit exhaust doesn't flow as ford says. I get more exhaust "smoke"(when cold) from the sides than the rear. I would think any back pressure from the rear mufflers would escape out the sides. Maybe I'm thinking too simple. Also, I think the best exhaust mod is a cat delete H-pipe, if you live in a no smog test state. You get sound and big power gains with a light tune to handle O2 sensor issues.
You will rewrite this post if you ever get to hear the gt500 mufflers on the boss the sound is really something else and I believe it would be better for performance but you will never feel any muffler performance being it could only be small but the sound is great.

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
+1 on the GT500 mufflers. It's an awesome sound!

The exhaust will flow out of the sidepipes once the restrictor plates are removed - enough to melt the plastic deflector between the side exhaust and the rear wheel. (See the stickied thread on this topic in the tech forums.)

Tflong24 said:
Reducing back pressure is good for 2-4 hp and can be accomplished in many ways. Adding forced induction will provide a a bigger gain from reducing back pressure. If you think the stock exhaust sounds good wait until you hear those side pipes with more free flowing mufflers. ;D

Are the deflector things cheap? I rather have the heat on them than on the tires. Maybe someone can fab a bunch of metal ones if we do a group buy.

TMO Supporting Vendors