The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Axle Back Install (Help)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have completed most of my cosmetic purchases for the car and am turning to some of the mechanical changes I can make. One of the things I would like to change is the factory mufflers.

I've read older posts about the GT500 Axle Backs and other options but couldn't really understand how easy or difficult making this change is. I do not have access to a lift or welder and crawling under the car is not an option at this moment.

What I wanted to know from those who have made changes to the mufflers and added axle backs is this: are the mufflers attached by a flange with bolts, welded or some other means?

I'm hoping its something simple like bolts with a flange so I (not very mechanical) can change them without a need to bring it somewhere. Pictures I see of various axle backs show the ends flared out making me believe its not welded to anything.

Before I order anything, I need to know if it's worth the purchase or if I need to plan for additional money for installation. The change in sound will be nice but hopefully not to much of a drone when cruising.

Thanks for your help and advice in advance!!

ArizonaGT said:
They are attached using ball-and-cup clamps, just need a 15mm ratchet, and some WD40 for the hangers.

Perfect.....just the news I wanted to hear. Thanks for the heads up, now I will have to decide which axle backs to order tomorrow. However, I've been told it's best to work from the front to the back.....Cold Air to Exhaust.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I'd disagree with that, as the mufflers are something you can enjoy every time you are in the car.

Popular choices are SVT GT500, Corsa, and Roush. I have the Roush.

I am looking at the Pype Bomb axle backs but read a few reviews that say install doesn't always line up correctly. They seem to be reasonably priced compared to the Roush, Borla and Corsa.

GA
SUPRMN said:
I am looking at the Pype Bomb axle backs but read a few reviews that say install doesn't always line up correctly. They seem to be reasonably priced compared to the Roush, Borla and Corsa.

I have the GT500 axlebacks - Ford OEM part so it fits like a glove and sounds awesome. M-5230-MGTCA1. Only a little over $300 for the set.

If you buy a name brand one, chances are it will fit right. Bargain ones, like the stuff you find on ebay, you never know unless someone has tried them. $300 for an axle back isn't bad especially if it is OEM quality, I paid that much for my straight pipe cat back on my last car and it was a single. But it was also beautifully built. I'll need to follow a GT500 and see how they sound ;D

PJWANNABE said:
I have the GT500 axlebacks - Ford OEM part so it fits like a glove and sounds awesome. M-5230-MGTCA1. Only a little over $300 for the set.
I also have the GT500 axle backs and they have a nice deep sound without being too loud. They are an easy install and fit perfectly.

I've not pulled the trigger yet, but for the price I'm planning to go with the GT 500 axle backs. Sound clips I've heard sound perfect, the fitment should be perfect and the price is great. Just wish I'd bought them on special around Christmas time for under $300 at American Muscle. I think they're $340.00 now for a set.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
GT 500s are awesome sounding and fit perfect. Also save 8lbs. I had Borla touring and they also fit perfect but the sound was a little to raspy for me. They save 18lbs, also they are $650 a set vs $300.
A tip for installation; loosen the clamps on the mid pipes where they join the h pipe, loosen muffler clamps and push the mid pipes as far forward as possible. This allows enough room to manipulate the mufflers with out having to remove the panhard bar brace and get them off of the hangers. Use white lithium grease on the hanger rods and rubber hangers to help get them on. Use anti seize on the ball ends of the mufflers and clamp bolt to be able to remove them in the future. Mine were heat welded to my mid pipes and when I did the headers and x pipe I had to cut my original mid pipes and it cost $325 to replace them. I have copper anti seize on all the joints of my exhaust system now.
Steve.

Will be going with the GT-500 ones myself here soon as well. Wish I had got them last year when price was $260-270 @ AM. But with Christmas coming, was not in the budget.
Best price going now is $319 @ Stang Mods.

The Pypes Bomb and SLP Loudmaouth both have no mufflers right?

I would think that would clean up the looks from the rear without having mufflers showing.

Loud, should be, but since it has the resinators in the system it should have a nice tone to it.

I have the loudmouth's on my Mach1, they came with resinators and combined with the Magnaflow X-pipe it is sweet sounding.

My Bullitt had the MRT H-pipe and the loudmouth, with no resinators, and yes, it was loud! To me, though it was sweet too! ;)

Well, I pulled the trigger on ordering the Pype Bomb axle backs from lethal performance and should have them by Monday at the latest. Looking forward to seeing how they fit and sound.

Thanks for everyone's help on information about install.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
No, it has a can and a string. the other end is tied to a handful of 5 watt radio stations. At least that's what it sounds like ;D

steveespo said:
GT 500s are awesome sounding and fit perfect. Also save 8lbs. I had Borla touring and they also fit perfect but the sound was a little to raspy for me. They save 18lbs, also they are $650 a set vs $300.
A tip for installation; loosen the clamps on the mid pipes where they join the h pipe, loosen muffler clamps and push the mid pipes as far forward as possible. This allows enough room to manipulate the mufflers with out having to remove the panhard bar brace and get them off of the hangers. Use white lithium grease on the hanger rods and rubber hangers to help get them on. Use anti seize on the ball ends of the mufflers and clamp bolt to be able to remove them in the future. Mine were heat welded to my mid pipes and when I did the headers and x pipe I had to cut my original mid pipes and it cost $325 to replace them. I have copper anti seize on all the joints of my exhaust system now.
Steve.

Any issues with getting the alignment right if you loosen the mid pipe? When you put it back together is it better to tighten the mid pipe clamp or the ball clamp first?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Actually loosening the mid pipes helps with final alignment. When you get the mufflers in the hangers you then align them how you like the tips in the valance. Step back 20 feet and look and also check the depth on each side. When you have it right pull the mid pipe back to the muffler, rotate it onto the muffler ball and set the clamp, tighten to 26 ft/lbs. then tighten front band clamp on mid pipe to 26 ft/lbs. make sure you can pass a finger width around the pipes and mufflers between any body or chassis parts, no rattle or hum.
Steve

PJWANNABE said:
SUPRMN said:

Just bought these pretty simple instal any tough spots installing?

TMO Supporting Vendors