The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Axle Back Install (Help)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Cali - I'm not sure if heat on the tire really would be an issue. The deflectors are close to the side pipe exhaust, but there a good number of inches from that point back to the tire. You may a good reason for concern, but I'm guessing that the deflectors purpose was not for heat deflection.

For that matter I don't know what their reasoning was for them, maybe you guys do. If it was for heat deflection to save the tires, why would they use a plastic that had no chance in heck of handling exhaust temps ?

Inquiring minds want to know! ;D

MLM

Mike
All Mustangs have the deflectors. They are supposedly to improve fuel economy, most likely the gains are only cumulatively noticable at the fleet level which is what Ford needs to target for CAFE. 0.1 MPG can make a difference in the penalty Ford pays for falling below the standard. I noticed at the last auto show I went to that lots of manufacturers are now using those little spoilers upstream of the rear wheels.

Anyone else have the qtp's on their car? I have them and so far I have 3000 miles on my car and the deflectors are not melting?

Pete, weren't people on the OEM LS tires saying that removing the wings caused tire issues at the track? I don't remember for sure as I don't have an LS

Dig-It said:
I don't think there's been enough data collected to decide that was the cause.
Exacatly. If removing the deflectors was the cause then wouldn't they all fail? Remove them and don't give it a second thought.

I just bought the Stainless Works 3in retro catback. It replaces everything from the hpipe back. It is supposed to be the lightest on the market. I will let you guys know how it sounds when I get it installed. I will post a youtube vid for you all as well.

I am going to look into the deflector's to decide if they are worth making in some other type of material I have a shop at my house I do prototype work only but may decide to make some of these if worth while the only thing I dont know of if they would look ok or not in metal if I get into powder coating them then they are going to get expensive to make anyone have a burned up set they are willing to part with I will send them back when finished?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
adam81 said:
I just bought the Stainless Works 3in retro catback. It replaces everything from the hpipe back. It is supposed to be the lightest on the market. I will let you guys know how it sounds when I get it installed. I will post a youtube vid for you all as well.

Their "Race" system sounded ridiculously good on Youtube

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
So I was trying to install my Borlas today and trying to get the front 2 hangers off is a bear. Any suggestions? I lubed all 3 up and got the rear one off and the mufflers detached from the midpipe, but I just couldn't get a good angle to push those two hangers off. My '06 only had 2 hangers and was super easy to swap the mufflers. I think Steve suggested loosening the midpipe some but I don't have any way to do that without a lift it looks like.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
It is really easy if you loosen the mid pipe clamps and push the tubes as far forward as possible. Then the two muffler hangers will slide right out of the hanger. If you have jack stands you can get the car high enough to get to the mid pipe clamps. They have 15mm nuts, keep the pipes full forward when you install the new mufflers back into the hangers, loosely fit the pipes onto the muffler , just snug the clamp bolt and then adjust the position of the tips. Check clearance around the tips and plastic, and the over axle pipes to the chassis. You should be able to pass your fingers anywhere around the pipes and the body/suspension/braces. Final tighten muffler clamps to 30 ft/lbs and mid pipe clamps to 42 ft/lbs.
Steve

Maui
If you loosen the clamps right after the h-pipe assembly you'll have more play to push out the mufflers from the rubber bracket. That's key... don't need a lift. I just put in my corsas the other week. i drove the car up on ramps for the front and jacked the back up on jack stands and was able to get to all the bolts i needed to...

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Well what I lack then are the ramps. Shame. I really don't want to pick them up with the move because that's exactly what I need is more 'junk.' Anyways, maybe I'll just go to the hobby shop ob base to do it.

808Boss said:
If you loosen the clamps right after the h-pipe assembly you'll have more play to push out the mufflers from the rubber bracket. That's key... don't need a lift. I just put in my corsas the other week. i drove the car up on ramps for the front and jacked the back up on jack stands and was able to get to all the bolts i needed to...

Gonna install new axle backs this week. Have ramps, but if the front is up on the ramps the angle of the car is such that the rear valence is too low to get a jack underneath and reach the center of the rear axle, even for my low profile alum jack. Interested to know how you did this. In any case, just lifting the rear of the car, either rear tires on ramps or jack stands under the axle, provides plenty of access to the back half of the car.

Maui
dabossinne said:
Gonna install new axle backs this week. Have ramps, but if the front is up on the ramps the angle of the car is such that the rear valence is too low to get a jack underneath and reach the center of the rear axle, even for my low profile alum jack. Interested to know how you did this. In any case, just lifting the rear of the car, either rear tires on ramps or jack stands under the axle, provides plenty of access to the back half of the car.

Actually now that i think about it.... I had the rear axles on jack stands, and then i jacked each front side and placed 2 2x4's on top of each other and rested it under each front tire....... sorry about the mis information with the ramps..I've obviously jacked up my car too many times and too many different ways..... my bad... That gave me enough room to get to the h-pipes....

808Boss said:
Actually now that i think about it.... I had the rear axles on jack stands, and then i jacked each front side and placed 2 2x4's on top of each other and rested it under each front tire....... sorry about the mis information with the ramps..I've obviously jacked up my car too many times and too many different ways..... my bad... That gave me enough room to get to the h-pipes....

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, this car is almost as much of a PITA to lift as my old Porsche 993. Ended up just jacking the rear of the car to install my axle backs. Had plenty of room to work.

TMO Supporting Vendors