The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Axle back mufflers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi All
Can anyone suggest what type of axle back mufflers to use ???
I was thinking of Corsa as this is what i used on my GT500 and they are great with no drone.
thanks for any help.

I have the GT-500 axle backs on mine along with opened up side exhaust disc's to 3/4"
No drone, loud enough for me ;D

aircare84 said:
I have the GT-500 axle backs on mine along with opened up side exhaust disc's to 3/4"
No drone, loud enough for me ;D

Thanks
I assume they are the 2011 year GT500 mufflers ????
Did you swap the tips as i think the Corsa tip looks better.
thanks

Here's a couple:

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/gt500-axle-backs-exhaust-on-boss-fit-and-tips/

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/aftermarket-exhaust/

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I had the GT500's they were nice. I now have Magnaflow Comp Cat back and I love it. For the price I feel you get more because it goes to full 3" from the h-pipe back. Its right there with the corsa price just for axle backs.

Over the weekend, I finally re-ordered my Pype Bomb axle backs and installed them..... I enjoy the deep tone it makes. It really now sounds like a race car but will find out how the drone is on the highway in the next couple of days.

It's surprising how heavy the original/stock one's are.

jec246

SUPRMN said:
Over the weekend, I finally re-ordered my Pype Bomb axle backs and installed them..... I enjoy the deep tone it makes. It really now sounds like a race car but will find out how the drone is on the highway in the next couple of days.

It's surprising how heavy the original/stock one's are.

Any before / after video? I have been looking for some sound clips of a boss with these on. So far I'm planning on the Pypes Pype Bomb. They sound awesome on all the mustangs I've seen online. The black ones I think will match well with the car.

I spoke with a Borla sales person today and they said they are in the process of produceing a new exhaust system
just for the boss.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Can't go wrong with Corsa. They are likely the most intense of the manufacturers in R&D, no packing and tuned not just for HP, but also for their lack of droning.

Built in the US , not farmed out , and definitely a cut above the rest in my estimation.

Bill Pemberton said:
Can't go wrong with Corsa. They are likely the most intense of the manufacturers in R&D, no packing and tuned not just for HP, but also for their lack of droning.

Built in the US , not farmed out , and definitely a cut above the rest in my estimation.

Thanks
I ordered the Sport version yesterday.
I did not go the Extreme as i did not want it to loud and still want to hear the side pipe with the 3/4 disc.
I hope it works out well.

"Any before / after video? I have been looking for some sound clips of a boss with these on. So far I'm planning on the Pypes Pype Bomb. They sound awesome on all the mustangs I've seen online. The black ones I think will match well with the car."

I don't have any video of before or after and feel the audio through my phone would not do it any justice. As for install, it was simple and using the tips from the BMO forum helped! I do have to say I like the aggressive sound it makes but am still on the fence at highway speeds.

I spent 6 hours in the car today on my way home from visiting family and didn't find the "drone" to be too over the top but it's much louder than the stock at highway speeds. Personally, I feel its a complete preference of the individual as to if these Pype Bombs are worth the purchase.

JMO

TMO Supporting Vendors