The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Axle Overflow Reservoir Installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was at LRP this past weekend. Besides cooking one front left Pirelli Corsa, I realized I blew some rear diff fluid (Redline Super Lightweight SHockproof) out of the turkey baster. So much for that little rubber bulb solution. It looked at lot worse than it was, I actually only lost maybe 1/2 pint or so:

IMG_20120412_183352.jpg

Here's the JLT axle reservior installed. 1 hour, very easy, no issues:

IMG_20120412_185516.jpg
IMG_20120412_190525.jpg
IMG_20120412_190518.jpg
IMG_20120412_190200.jpg

PS: WHile at the shop I swapped the MT-82 fluid for Redline MTL - shifts even better than before....

I have a question for you guys that have installed diff. overflow tanks.

once you remove the stock valve on the axle, did you just replace it with a barb hose connector? does that connector have a built in valve? and finally, anyone know what the thread is on that connector?

F.D. Sako said:
I have a question for you guys that have installed diff. overflow tanks.

once you remove the stock valve on the axle, did you just replace it with a barb hose connector? does that connector have a built in valve? and finally, anyone know what the thread is on that connector?

With my setup I took out and discarded the fiiting/breather up top and added the hose to the canister. Besides the hose and can the axle in sealed.

and Jimmy is correct about not needed service, have in installed two years. Checked it twice but it was empty.

Edit The fitting is AN 4 which is 7/16-20 it is just a fitting no valve inside.

Thanks alot for the input!

i'm starting to collect parts to mimic vorshlag's setup. I like the idea of having the vent outside the car, i remember reading diff fluid smells bad lol, sot don't want my trunk smelling like doodoo.

DSC1614-S.jpg

DSC1603-S.jpg[img]

I finally got around to installing a quick, cheap, ugly, but maybe functional differential expansion "reservoir".
I got the idea and input from a fellow member, dmichaels. Also, thanks YellowBoss for verifying the fitting sizes.

I used the following items
- Purolator Fuel Filter, F21111
- Jeg's Flare Reducer, -4AN to -6AN, 555-100211
- Jeg's Hose Barb Adapter, -6AN to 3/8 hose, 555-100845
- 3/8 Transmission Hose, sold by the foot at Advance Auto
- 3/8 Vacuum Cap
- 3/8 Hose Clamps

Pics of the mess
IMAG0298640x480_zpsc48489ce.jpg

IMAG0300640x480_zpsf254c773.jpg

IMAG0304640x480_zps329a0515.jpg

IMAG0303640x480_zps4fe7b998.jpg

IMAG0301640x480_zps4a1cba6f.jpg

The fuel filter was installed with the suspension unloaded. I will be checking the filter tomorrow while the suspension is loaded, on ramps, to check for any issues. But the ultimate test will be done on friday, at the track.

Eventually I'll be purchasing this overflow tank and mount it in the trunk, with a vent outside the car.

Oh and... I was very pissed when I found out that the dealer installed a GT axle housing, after my accident, instead of a Boss :mad: I just cant catch a break with dealers!

If installing an axle reservoir from Bob's make sure that the reservoir is sitting up high in the space above the differential. I just found out that my diff housing was hitting the reservoir over a particularly nasty bump that I drive over every day on my way to work. Took the reservoir off and the noise went away. Bent the support arms to give me more clearance and re-installed the reservoir and the noise is still gone.

Just something to look at while your under the car test fitting the reservoir before bolting it in. It's interesting that I've had the reservoir on the car about a year and a half and only noticed a clunk over bump condition in the last couple of weeks. Not sure if anything changed in the car of if it was just road conditions.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel