The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Axle Overflow Reservoir Installed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was at LRP this past weekend. Besides cooking one front left Pirelli Corsa, I realized I blew some rear diff fluid (Redline Super Lightweight SHockproof) out of the turkey baster. So much for that little rubber bulb solution. It looked at lot worse than it was, I actually only lost maybe 1/2 pint or so:

IMG_20120412_183352.jpg

Here's the JLT axle reservior installed. 1 hour, very easy, no issues:

IMG_20120412_185516.jpg
IMG_20120412_190525.jpg
IMG_20120412_190518.jpg
IMG_20120412_190200.jpg

PS: WHile at the shop I swapped the MT-82 fluid for Redline MTL - shifts even better than before....

Re: The Turkey Baster is no more

Great photos Pete. Were there any issues when you removed the two bolts to install the reservoir? The Redline made a nice difference in my tranny.

Here's the link for the reservoir.

http://shop.bobsautosports.com/Mustang-axle-reservoir-KR-style-axle-reservoir.htm

Looks good, mine is sitting in a box on the floor waiting for me to find a lift to borrow.

drano38

Wayne

Pete,
This might be my next mod--I'm running one baster on the axle.
I know you've replaced the factory diff. cover.
If we run the stock cover, would we connect to the top of the diff cover, or on the axle like you did?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

Rick - No issues at all installing. No issues pulling those two bolts, there's a third bolt that holds the diff in place so nothing shifts/drops when you take those 2 bolts out. I don't recall if the instructions call for using thread lock, but we used it on all threaded joints in my install. One thing to watch for is making sure the hose can't come in contact with the exhaust pipes or the cross member that goes from left to right rear tire. That cross member has a faily sharp edge to it, if the hose was rubbing on it I could see it eventually wearing through.

Wayne - I can only assume connecting to the top of the rear diff will be fine. I had to put mine in that spot on the left axle since I don't have a tap on the top of my diff cover. My only concern may be that the hose angle may get a little tight since the tank sits directly above the diff - or you may have to loop it. You would have the option to set it up like mine if you wish. The plug that is on the left axle now could go above the top of your diff cover to block that off. The vent plug that's there now just goes to the top of the tank. The give you a one straight and a two 90 degree hose fittings so you can try different configurations.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut

Absolutely - what will come in handy is a long (18" ?) extension for the ratchet. I don't recell exactly how much clearance there is around the bolts to spin a ratchet with a short extension - it may not be an issue....

drano38

Wayne

Thanks Pete. Makes sense that the top diff would be tough for the hose.
Mine is up on jack stands, so I looked at mine (since my short memory can't keep track of whats on the axle).
I've got the baster on the axle, and stock vent on the diff.
My baster top half is damp--the white tip is black with dust. So it vented just a bit sometime last fall or last Friday.
Looks like I'll add one of these catch cans before my next track day.

Update:
Just ordered from Bob's, and it will be on the brown truck today. Shipping is included.
Its $5 more than JLT, but might as well help the guy who made it.

drano38

Wayne

Finished installing mine tonight.
No easy task for a weak guy with the car on jack stands.
The UCA bolts have blue locktite. Once I broke them loose with a breaker bar, I put an 18" water pipe on the ratchet to get them off.
Car up on a lift and a strong air impact wrench would make it much easier.
I stacked up 10", 5" and 3" extensions to get low enough to turn a ratchet.

A well built product, and according to other posts, solves diff venting. I'll find out 5 May when I run with the PCA at Brainerd MN.

drano38

Wayne
I ran with the PCA at BIR last weekend with the KR can installed.
Checked it out before unloading the Boss when I got home.
No issues at all--everything is dry.
After a few laps to get familiar with the course, I was hitting 140+ on the front straight, and 120+ approaching turn 2.
Blue lock tite makes the bolts a chore to remove, but its worth it.
If you track your Boss, consider this for your mod short list.

Just installed both this and Bob's oil separater yesterday - have to say it was a very easy install, and these pieces are built like tanks - certainly inspires more confidence than the turkey baster did. Like Pete, I also replaced my diff cover at the same time. I feel much better about my diff puking issue now, but we'll see how she does on the track next weekend.

Just ordered this, seems like a good way to control any overflow. Hope to get it before Watkins Glen. This will actually be my first mod other than just flushing brake fluid. I have the stock diff cover so I'll try to hook up on top and see how that goes. Will post pics once I get this on and see if there's a good way to route the hose up top.

Finished a full, hot as all hell track weekend at Gingerman this past weekend. The reservoir was rock solid - not a drop spilled, everything working exactly as I'd hoped. Fantastic mod, thumbs way up!

I put this in today, Install was very straight forward with all the info others had posted. I have the stock cover so I ran the hose to the top of the diff cover. The bend in the hose gets a little tight when weight is on the tires, but I can't imagine the flow rate in or out of the reservoir will cause any problems with this restriction.

I did learn a couple of things doing this. When I jacked the car up I supported it on the axle which made sliding the reservoir into place a little tricky. Moved the jack stands to the frame and let the axle hang which made this much easier. Then I spent about 15 minutes unsuccessfully trying to get the torque spec for the brace screws before I realized it was in the instructions sent with the reservoir [86 ft-lb].

Below are a couple of pictures, First is with the axle hanging, second is with the axle loaded showing bend in the hose.

hermes302

hermes302

This is the way to go. It is the same setup as the 302S. One hose and a vent, had the turkey baster in and still was throwing oil all over the place. Picked this up from a friend and no issues since installing.

CIMG3119.jpg
CIMG3123.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors