The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

axle reservoir overflow kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I saw this on the JLT website. What do you guys think? It looks good to me. Anybody know of anything better out there?

http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=357_399&products_id=471&zenid=n8357l95e8u2f6epgc75hoshk3

adam81 said:
I saw this on the JLT website. What do you guys think? It looks good to me. Anybody know of anything better out there?

http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=357_399&products_id=471&zenid=n8357l95e8u2f6epgc75hoshk3
That's the "KR" one that Drew was talking about. If I still have problems this season with my double basters I'd probably order one.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Very similar to what I was talking about, plus it's slightly cheaper, and you can actually buy it! I'd say this is the best solution out there short of a $1200 diff cooler setup.

Is there any reason not to just go straight to this setup? Is it bolt on? At that price I rather just install one and be done with it rather than mess around with the basters and stuff.

Heck I would order it now if it weren't out of stock.

CaliMR said:
Is there any reason not to just go straight to this setup? Is it bolt on? At that price I rather just install one and be done with it rather than mess around with the basters and stuff.

No reason at all. I would have gone this route if it were available at the time. I got the baster under a TSB so it was free, but I bought a second one. This is a better option and relatively inexpensive.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I don't have problems w/ the diff puking on the tracks that are under 130mph top speed, but on the one track where we can hit 150mph if you get off the corner correctly, it puked. So if you're going to be at 130mph+, I'd say do this mod.

I emailed them about availability, might as well get it as insurance. I hit 120 indicated in a 150 hp car at the local track so hopefully the Boss will go quite a bit faster. I'll let you guys know what they say.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
CaliMR said:

No reason at all. I would have gone this route if it were available at the time. I got the baster under a TSB so it was free, but I bought a second one. This is a better option and relatively inexpensive.

I would be very surprised if our Turkey Basters overflowed, especially with the Redline fluid. If they do that is one heck of lot of expansion of the fluid due to foaming. I'm going out on 3/31, if I get any leakage I let you guys know.

(PS: My baster is on the axle left side, not above the diff cover because I have the FRPP diff cover which has no tap on top of it. If anything I'd guess I'd spring a leak faster than one mounted topside on the diff cover itself.)

Ordered one, but went right to the source. Ask for Steven tell them Adam81 sent you......

http://shop.bobsautosports.com/Mustang-axle-reservoir-KR-style-axle-reservoir.htm

drano38

Wayne
I was almost ready to add the second turkey baster to mine.
But I might as well add one of these to my mod list. I'll see how 6 Apr track day goes first.

Do they attach to the axle, or top of the diff cover?

adam81 said:
Ordered one, but went right to the source. Ask for Steven tell them Adam81 sent you......

http://shop.bobsautosports.com/Mustang-axle-reservoir-KR-style-axle-reservoir.htm

I didn't know who the source was, nice find. Did they say it was in stock?

drano38 said:
But I might as well add one of these to my mod list. I'll see how 6 Apr track day goes first.

I did not think I needed one at first, even running 140+ the first few track days. Then one day it just started throwing the fluid around. I put mine up top.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
2012YellowBoss said:
drano38 said:

I did not think I needed one at first, even running 140+ the first few track days. Then one day it just started throwing the fluid around. I put mine up top.

Yellow - Are you running the stock diff fluid or Redline (or whatever...) ?

JLT will have them next week according to their email, Bob shipped mine today so he has them in stock. Just FYI if you are looking for them.

I received it, but did not have a chance to install it before going to the track. I pulled it out to see if I could install it with basic tools, and it looks like you can, but I am going to wait until I can get the car on a lift. I'm too chubby to try doing it on jack stands. It looks like a very well built part, it is much more heavy duty than I expected. It is heavy though, I'm going to have to lay off the tacos on track days to make up for it ;D

Are any sealants safe to use on the connections? I usually use a little Teflon tape on wet connections but no idea if it is bad for gear lube. There is also the liquid type. Only reason I am asking is that I have had some connections, even the tapered kind that are not supposed to need sealant, start leaking cranked down really hard. If I can get the car to go up on my ramps in the rear, I will be installing soon.

TMO Supporting Vendors