The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Axle Shaft Flex Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone here running slicks induced enough lateral G's on the rear that the axle shaft flexed enough for the rotor to contact the caliper mounting bracket? In other words, caused the wheel and rotor to go positive camber (no longer perpendicular to the axle housing) to the extent that they actually made contact?

I'm dealing with a bit of a mystery here.

Thanks,

John

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
That's a lot of flex.

Warped rotors or a build up of brake pad residue is a common problem when rotor are contacting pads. Turning does flex components. With the excess build up or a slight warp in the rotors, contact occurs.

Wear on the end of the axel, where the axel contacts the differential cross shaft can also be an issue. A worn Posi clutch pack can also be a problem.

Share a few more details and maybe someone has had the same experience and has a fix for you.

I talked to Kohr Racing. It's a problem with running 13.8” GT500 rotors. The Caliper brackets aren’t wide enough to accommodate the surprising amount of flex of the axle shafts that is amplified by the larger O.D. rotors. The guys a Kohr were extremely helpful.

Last edited:
I ended up buying the Performance Friction rear Caliper brackets and 2 piece 12.9" rotors from Kohr's World Challenge car. If it was good enough for their race car it will be good enough for me. I installed new axles as well just to be sure.

Witnessing the amount of flex in the axle shafts has really shown me how unsuited a fixed caliper is on the rear of these cars if you intend on seeing high cornering Gs.

I'm going to Grattan this weekend so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
What's the difference between the Performance Friction rear caliper and the stock one?

Also where can you buy those?

The kit is only the caliper mounting brackets and 2-piece rotors. The stock caliper is reused. The bracket bridge is slightly wider to allow more flex and positions the caliper for the 12.9" rotor.

You would have to ask Kohr where to buy, it's not on Performance Friction's website.

Last edited:
It's only the caliper mounting bracket, it reuses the stock caliper. The bridge is slightly wider to allow more flex and positions the caliper for the 12.25" rotor.

You would have to ask Kohr where to buy, it's not on Performance Friction's website.
If it is just the bracket, I wonder if it would work on stock calipers with the 13.8 inch rotor. I get brake wine in reverse and stuff like that but only since I put race pads on with no grease anywhere. Before that, with street pads, there was no noise at all.

It's only the caliper mounting bracket, it reuses the stock caliper. The bridge is slightly wider to allow more flex and positions the caliper for the 12.25" rotor.

Thanks. I will pass on this for now.

My plan is to save enough $$ so I can afford the Cortex cambered axle :cool::cool:

Old thread but i came across a photo over the weekend illustrating the axle flex described above. The wheel has clearly gone positive camber due to axle and wheel flex. This causes the rotor to contact the caliper bracket. The tires appear to be DOT, so one could expect grippier slicks to exasperate the problem.
Photo credit goes to a Mr. Karigan on Corner Ponies facebook page
42060341822_7dcce86a06_b.jpg Untitled by smallblock, on Flickr
41209463585_44c27329b5_b.jpg Untitled by smallblock, on Flickr
42060341282_b01c98a284.jpg Untitled by smallblock, on Flickr

Last edited:
Tough to see how much is the wheel vs. the tire carcass at the tread. The face of the rim doesn't look too bad, but they're really working that tire!

I just scribbled some reference lines to help illustrate how extreme the issue is. Cortex should have an image like this on their cambered axle page

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Sketch for smallblock.jpeg

I took another reference line from the bottom of the LCA brackets and got about 2.47º

This reference line would eliminate the difference in tire compression. Though I'm not sure I can actually see the point for the top edge of the rim without more resolution.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel