The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 AZS197's 2006 Mustang Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Arizona
Some back story my car.

I bought the GT in 2009 with 29,000 miles on it when I turned 21. As of right now it has about 172,000 miles on it and I've driven it all over Arizona on both tarmac and dirt roads. Having this car and being involved in the car community has made me a few life long friends and actually contributed to me finding the job I've had for over a decade now. I met my wife a few years after I bought the car and we've been inseparable since.

Which leads me to the last two years of owning this car. My wife had our son in 2020 and I bought a new car with 4 doors to make transportation a little better for us. The last year and half have been busy with work and all of the baby related responsibilities that come with an infant. The Mustang has been neglected and at this point has sat for close to 2 years without being started and driven.

And that brings us to present day. I've started working on the Mustang in what little free time I have and plan to get it back on the road before fall. I'm currently changing the clutch and related parts as it was a pain to drive with before I parked it. I've also planed to upgrade some of the suspension and fix some age related loose ends while the car is in the air.

The goal is to have something fun to drive and possibly try autocross with to learn better car control and have fun.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Arizona
Installing the new McLeod clutch and rewrapping the harness that goes over the transmission. Now I just need to figure out if I should shim my slave cylinder and then the transmission can go back in.

20220607_202542.jpg

20220531_221404.jpg

20220524_204426.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Arizona
What happens when you go off-roading in a lowered Mustang. This happened years ago when I was driving down a dirt road and the exhaust came loose over a cattle guard. I had to replace the exhaust and panhard bar but otherwise avoided major damage.

FB_IMG_1654985153606.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Arizona
Found out today that you can get this elbow at the tob instead of the whole clutch line. It's nice to be able to change it when replacing the clutch line with a aftermarket one. Plus it comes with the clips so the old tob side one can be an extra just incase.

20220619_085733.jpg

20220619_085711.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors